Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it from me. Insurance can save your hobby. And don't trust anyone with a verbal agreement. Get it in writing if your are letting someone drive your car. Good friend, coach, etc. I fully understand letting an instructor drive your car at a pretty high level like Peter says. Anyone else, most likely not.

Just learned the hard way.

Btw- I use OnTrack with Steve. Recommend them highly. Been very good to me. Race insurance I use Motorsports Insurance Group. Referred to them by Steve.

Stu
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
mrRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the "I'm in control enough to not crash camp" until I wasn't and I totaled my car.

I always bought track insurance as a "You Never Know" type of policy and I'm very glad I did (Lockton has been good to work with), because when I made a mistake it only cost me a car and a deductible (and lots of non-reimbursable hours of work on the car gone, and a bit of pride, and maybe self confidence, we'll see). It makes it easier to get another car quickly and get back on track sooner rather than later. I had a car I could walk away from without financial duress, but as I keep myself on a pretty tight budget with this hobby to keep my family isolated from it's financial impact, I'm glad I don't have to spend the next few months squirreling away dollars to replenish my track account enough to get into a new car.

While I've approached this hobby in a way that I felt minimized my exposure to crashing, continually searching for improvement carries a risk and the finances are an easy calculation for me to make. According to my insurance rates, it would take 150 events worth of paid insurance without total-ling my car before insurance was not a wise financial choice. I didn't get to that point unfortunately. I'm glad my poor judgement on track was countered by some quality safety gear and an agreed value track insurance policy though.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by mrRed
I was in the "I'm in control enough to not crash camp" until I wasn't and I totaled my car.

I always bought track insurance as a "You Never Know" type of policy and I'm very glad I did (Lockton has been good to work with), because when I made a mistake it only cost me a car and a deductible (and lots of non-reimbursable hours of work on the car gone, and a bit of pride, and maybe self confidence, we'll see). It makes it easier to get another car quickly and get back on track sooner rather than later. I had a car I could walk away from without financial duress, but as I keep myself on a pretty tight budget with this hobby to keep my family isolated from it's financial impact, I'm glad I don't have to spend the next few months squirreling away dollars to replenish my track account enough to get into a new car.

While I've approached this hobby in a way that I felt minimized my exposure to crashing, continually searching for improvement carries a risk and the finances are an easy calculation for me to make. According to my insurance rates, it would take 150 events worth of paid insurance without total-ling my car before insurance was not a wise financial choice. I didn't get to that point unfortunately. I'm glad my poor judgement on track was countered by some quality safety gear and an agreed value track insurance policy though.
There are so many variables that can cause a crash and driver skill is only one of them. Fluid, mechanical failure, other driver, etc. It can all go wrong in a heartbeat and you are just a passenger.

Plus, I love insurance because then I can drive more aggressively! (Just so someone doesn't look at this thread years from now - this is a joke pertaining to the other infamous insurance thread!)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I just renewed my Open Track policy today.
I've had direct experience with Lockton (all positive) and have heard nothing but good things about On Track over the years.
Open Track's annual policy for unlimited events and inclusion of Canadian tracks makes it work best for me. And a dandy online process with super simple renewals.
Ray, see you at Tremblant (properly insured I hope).
Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi Rick, absolutely - let's get dinner and catch up!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds good - Joanie will be with me but none of my usual pack of friends.
How about Beth?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

All good - we can catch up there!
Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I think it's important to separate the two sides of risk management: reducing the chance of a crash, and reducing the consequences of a crash.

We should certainly do what we can to reduce the chance of a crash. That includes choosing our tracks and track organizations, choosing our cars, how we drive and learn to drive, car inspection and prep, etc.

But humans are fallible and make errors, mechanical stuff fails, and things can happen on track which are outside our control and can cause us to crash (e.g., dumped fluids). So the chance that we'll crash is never zero, though we can and should do a lot to reduce that chance.

As far as reducing the consequences of a crash, the main potential consequences are injury and financial loss. With regard to injury, nearly everyone agrees that we should have good safety equipment (roll protection, fire protection, harnesses, HANS, etc.). It can also make sense to purchase track insurance and other insurance to protect against large financial losses.

The things we do to reduce the chance of a crash shouldn't prevent us from doing things to reduce the consequences of a crash. And the things we do to reduce the consequences of a crash shouldn't prevent us from doing things to reduce the chances of a crash.

Quick Reply: Yet another insurance question...