Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019 | 12:14 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Yet another insurance question...

Hi All,

Up to now, I have been using Lockton Insurance, and think they do a good job. In particular, the fact that they cover Canadian events makes it easier for me. They are changing their business model and moving to a simpler (and ultimately more expensive version of not selling the n-packs. These have been the only way to get the Canadian coverage, the individual event coverage did not provide that. They are not sure if the new model will provide Canadian coverage...

My question is: Who else is affordable and provides Canadian coverage and has a proven track record - pardon the pun...

Thanks

Ray
Old 06-24-2019 | 03:57 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Ray,

Ontrackinsurance started coverage for Canadian events by American drivers this year, and they offer multiple event packages.
Old 06-24-2019 | 04:26 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

As I understand it, they are a fairly new company?

Will you be at LCMT?
Old 06-24-2019 | 04:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbahr
Thanks!

As I understand it, they are a fairly new company?

Will you be at LCMT?
I believe OnTrack has been around for a pretty long time as a track insurer and a long time as a company. I met Steve in person at LRP this year and he was a great guy. Heck of a driver and Rennlister too. If you have questions, reach out to him.
Old 06-24-2019 | 04:58 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt!
Old 06-25-2019 | 07:52 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I believe OnTrack has been around for a pretty long time as a track insurer and a long time as a company. I met Steve in person at LRP this year and he was a great guy. Heck of a driver and Rennlister too. If you have questions, reach out to him.
Steve has been around for a long time and is an avid club racer.
Old 06-25-2019 | 08:32 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

There is always some brand confusion between OnTrackInsurance and TheOpenTrack. Both are excellent and run by good people. Each has slightly different products. The latter is a few years old now, and have proven their worth.
Old 06-25-2019 | 09:05 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks All,

At least I now have options...

Ray
Old 06-25-2019 | 09:51 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Be careful driving now that you have insurance. It changes people.....
The following 2 users liked this post by 177mph:
DTMiller (06-25-2019), Paul Solk (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019 | 10:25 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Be careful driving now that you have insurance. It changes people.....
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019 | 10:32 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A trailer is worth ~2 sec, insurance must be worth some time

My attitude has always been that I will crash the car, just a matter of when. So, if I were not prepared to walk from the car, I should not have it on the track. That said , for me, not insuring the GT3 does not make sense...

ray
Old 06-25-2019 | 11:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A trailer is worth ~2 sec, insurance must be worth some time

My attitude has always been that I will crash the car, just a matter of when. So, if I were not prepared to walk from the car, I should not have it on the track. That said , for me, not insuring the GT3 does not make sense...

ray
on the trailer time gain... <grin>

Maybe I am old fashioned, but it pains me every time I see or hear someone say “I will crash the car, just a matter of when...” That really sucks, and I don’t believe it. The fact that I am responsible for what happens to me on track has guided my actions, decisions and executions in the car in every one of the several hundred cars I’ve driven/raced/thrashed on track, some worth millions of dollars and few that were cars I owned.

While I agree that if you believe that, you have no choice but to insure, it still begs the question “why do you feel crashing is inevitable?”

The answer is outside the scope of this thread, and I am glad people have choices now that weren’t around a decade or two ago, but I just shook my head in dismay when I read this, because you are sensible, careful, deliberate and scientific man, and you are more in control of your destiny than you realize... IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019 | 11:19 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Peter,

Good question. This is from MY perspective. I feel that I can control my actions. I can get as close to my line as I want, I can even cross it with the proper conditions. I also feel that it would be hubris to feel that I can control for, or react to everything that could happen: The driver in front, back, side who has a bad day, equipment failure, etc. I don't loose sleep over it, it is a risk that I absolutely don't mind. I will deal with it to the best of my abilities but fundamentally it is not something I can control, and worst case includes my car getting wadded up.

I have done this long enough to see things happen that just should not - EG I was flying through the esses at the Glen, and a M3 lost a lower ball joint and promptly took a right turn into the guard rail, the 2 yahoos who were dicing up between myself and the M3 reacted poorly and they were sideways. I made it through it BUT, I was a bit lucky - a bit sooner, or ??? and I could also have collected some guard rail

Now I realize that insurance is just a bet against yourself, but in this case it is not unreasonable, and I don't plan of wadding the car up, but I can't control everything...

Ray
Old 06-25-2019 | 12:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Peter,

Good question. This is from MY perspective. I feel that I can control my actions. I can get as close to my line as I want, I can even cross it with the proper conditions. I also feel that it would be hubris to feel that I can control for, or react to everything that could happen: The driver in front, back, side who has a bad day, equipment failure, etc. I don't loose sleep over it, it is a risk that I absolutely don't mind. I will deal with it to the best of my abilities but fundamentally it is not something I can control, and worst case includes my car getting wadded up.

I have done this long enough to see things happen that just should not - EG I was flying through the esses at the Glen, and a M3 lost a lower ball joint and promptly took a right turn into the guard rail, the 2 yahoos who were dicing up between myself and the M3 reacted poorly and they were sideways. I made it through it BUT, I was a bit lucky - a bit sooner, or ??? and I could also have collected some guard rail

Now I realize that insurance is just a bet against yourself, but in this case it is not unreasonable, and I don't plan of wadding the car up, but I can't control everything...

Ray

Thanks, Ray. I certainly understand where you're coming from. I have professional liability insurance, but I have people sign waivers before I get in the driver's seat in their cars... No waiver, no driving. So far, no issues in thirty-five years...
Old 06-25-2019 | 12:45 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That makes sense, but as I said before, I don't loose sleep over it...

Quick Reply: Yet another insurance question...