Sponsored by:

In praise of little tracks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX (SW of Fort Worth) in its original 1.7 mile configuration is an excellent (and extremely safe) short technical track as well. Elevation, off camber, it has it all
It's the reason so many TX drivers do extremely well when they travel to compete in other regions.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lime Rock my home track . Even before I was driving. The things I've seen!!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep, for sure. Roebling Road for me was Blackhawk Farms for you. Great memories. Brian Redman was my first instructor.
That, sir, is quite the start.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Streets of Willow

One (1) hour outside of LA in the High Desert, 1.7 miles of fun, very technical. First track for me in 1989, ran there for about two years before going right next door, Willow Springs International Raceway, only 9 turns, 2.5 miles, reputed to be the fastest track in the West.

For just plain outright fun, Streets of Willow is a great place. Car control is rewarded by good lap times. You'll see 4th gear once, the rest is 3rd and 2nd. You will use your brakes. There is plenty of run off, should you need it...I rarely saw a car go off track here.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
One (1) hour outside of LA in the High Desert, 1.7 miles of fun, very technical. First track for me in 1989, ran there for about two years before going right next door, Willow Springs International Raceway, only 9 turns, 2.5 miles, reputed to be the fastest track in the West.

For just plain outright fun, Streets of Willow is a great place. Car control is rewarded by good lap times. You'll see 4th gear once, the rest is 3rd and 2nd. You will use your brakes. There is plenty of run off, should you need it...I rarely saw a car go off track here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oD2_Dh5e4
Looks like a ton of fun Martin.

Just one question, you said there are very few offs. Isn't this a California track? Shouldn't there be an average of 3 cars into the wall on a daily basis?

Thanks for posting Martin. Good stuff.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
I always liked Putnam Park. Work your *** off and sweat even more in July. No chance to catch your breath. Hope PCA races there again soon.

My first event was at Putnam also. Going this weekend with 10/10ths
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
It's the reason so many TX drivers do extremely well when they travel to compete in other regions.
I don't know about this. When I speak with drivers from TX and the midwest they are sometimes unused to the idea of armco everywhere and limited runoff.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't know about this. When I speak with drivers from TX and the midwest they are sometimes unused to the idea of armco everywhere and limited runoff.
This makes sense, as even COTA doesn't really have a lot of stuff to hit. Armco is a concern I have if I ever make it out east. It won't stop me, but it is something I will have to deal with.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
This makes sense, as even COTA doesn't really have a lot of stuff to hit. Armco is a concern I have if I ever make it out east. It won't stop me, but it is something I will have to deal with.

-Mike
If you ever make it to Watkins Glen just think of the armco as a friendly blue helping hand!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

If you ever make it to Watkins Glen just think of the armco as a friendly blue helping hand!
Yeah, just reaching out to grab you as you exit T9 out of the Boot a li'l bit too wide

Gary
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Armco is a concern I have if I ever make it out east. It won't stop me, but it is something I will have to deal with.

-Mike
Mosport doesn't have much, at least in the turns--they've paved many of the runoff areas.

But it's so <bleeping> fast the runoff runs OUT quick, though I thankfully didn't see any of that y-day.....

Gary
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Looks like a ton of fun Martin.

Just one question, you said there are very few offs. Isn't this a California track? Shouldn't there be an average of 3 cars into the wall on a daily basis?

Thanks for posting Martin. Good stuff.
Fortunately, at this track, there is only one wall. Also, it is too narrow for racing so it's used for DE events..

Your comment on crashes is not without merit. It does seem to me as if there are too many....that's what got me out of racing my 993. I could swear those Spec Boxster were gunning for me. I felt that my car was too valuable to risk in a racing environment. It would have cost me 2X+ more to replace my car than if I were replacing a wadded up Spec Boxster. In 2017, I went back to where I started, Time Trials and HPDE. I do miss the Green Flag racing starts...nothing like 4 wide into the first turn. Pegs your excitement and fun meters! In contrast losing my air cooled "Baby" in an incident would have been a crushing blow.

BTW, the track next door, Willow Springs International Raceway, also has but one wall, but the speeds are high...so when things go wrong, they can go horribly wrong.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:35 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
My first on track experience was at Blackhawk Farms with the old Porsche Driving School. (How old? -' Derek Bell and Vic Elford were the instructors.)
Subsequently did Skippy races and PCA races at the likes of Grattan, Gingerman, and Putnam Park.

Loading the trailer and trying to get out of the city on Friday and driving back on Sunday, with lots of track time in between.
Ah, the good old days. Fun memories.

I always enjoyed Blackhawk. Hard on brakes, but a great little track.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Watkins Glen & Lime Rock

I'd love to run these two (2) tracks....I have run all the California Tracks + Las Vegas Outside, Las Vegas ROVAL. In addition I did 3 days at Road America, and one "private" day at Mid-Ohio.....but WG and LR, those are the two I'd love to run...maybe next year with NASA. The Ghost of Paul Newman is in the air, there.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

What Armco????

Besides, Luigi, you're not supposed to be looking at it!

Quick Reply: In praise of little tracks