Sponsored by:

In praise of little tracks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default In praise of little tracks

My first on track experience was at Blackhawk Farms with the old Porsche Driving School. (How old? -' Derek Bell and Vic Elford were the instructors.)
Subsequently did Skippy races and PCA races at the likes of Grattan, Gingerman, and Putnam Park.

Loading the trailer and trying to get out of the city on Friday and driving back on Sunday, with lots of track time in between.
Ah, the good old days. Fun memories.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Yep, for sure. Roebling Road for me was Blackhawk Farms for you. Great memories. Brian Redman was my first instructor.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

First track for me was Lime Rock Park and I still consider it my "home track". Probably one of the easiest tracks to learn on and one of the hardest to master.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
First track for me was Lime Rock Park and I still consider it my "home track". Probably one of the easiest tracks to learn on and one of the hardest to master.
Well, Lime Rock is still my favorite track for just that reason.

Interesting to note that my lap times on both tracks average within tenths of a mile per hour average speed, over 102 mph!

I went to school at Skippy a few years after starting at Roebling. It was the same approach and even though Roebling was flat and Lime Rock was not, you just never slowed down... It prepared me well.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Probably one of the easiest tracks to learn on and one of the hardest to master.
I find most tracks that way!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It was the same approach and even though Roebling was flat and Lime Rock was not, you just never slowed down... It prepared me well.
I've only driven one small track one Saturday, Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, TX, 1.82 mi, early in my track learning experience. Instructor hops in the car, "now this is a technical track..." - "what's a technical track?" was my response. Well I found out. The place grabs you by the throat for the entire lap with no real straights to think of where one can catch a breath. It was a one day event with four 25 minute sessions. Initially, I was disappointed, as I was used to a two day event with four 20 minutes sessions per day. After 4 sessions at HHR, I was done for the weekend. Think COTA with lots of bumps and no straights. Instructing there had to be a lot of work.

And, come to think of it, I had my first spin and off there. Still, I'm sure the place made me a better driver.

-Mike
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX (SW of Fort Worth) in its original 1.7 mile configuration is an excellent (and extremely safe) short technical track as well. Elevation, off camber, it has it all
Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

My first SCCA school was at Marlboro followed by Watkins Glen (No bus-stop, no "Boot", no guardrail). First race was the "Reading Road Races" which included some airport runways and service roads lined with telephone poles. I got transferred to Detroit and ran Waterford Hills quite a bit as well as Grattan, Blackhawk Farms, IRP, and Nelson Ledges. The "Big" tracks were Michigan Intl Road Course , Mid-Ohio, and Road America.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I've only driven one small track one Saturday, Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, TX, 1.82 mi, early in my track learning experience. Instructor hops in the car, "now this is a technical track..." - "what's a technical track?" was my response. Well I found out. The place grabs you by the throat for the entire lap with no real straights to think of where one can catch a breath. It was a one day event with four 25 minute sessions. Initially, I was disappointed, as I was used to a two day event with four 20 minutes sessions per day. After 4 sessions at HHR, I was done for the weekend. Think COTA with lots of bumps and no straights. Instructing there had to be a lot of work.

And, come to think of it, I had my first spin and off there. Still, I'm sure the place made me a better driver.

-Mike
It's still not too late to hit up Hallett.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I’ll 2nd that. One of my favorite tracks.

Peter
Old 06-10-2019, 09:03 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Hallett is very popular amongst the track crowd in the Texas Triangle. It's on my list. For some reason I forgot about Cresson - it is on my list too. Someday...

-Mike
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Little track? -
How about 2.3 miles with 14 turns and 509' of overall elevation change on a hilltop? Try Palmer. Certainly not the largest or the best amenities but a ton of fun and challenging to master!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm another with Lime Rock as my first track. Driven there in a real Hurricane (I was on driving the Glen during Sandy). LRP is a magical place!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
My first SCCA school was at Marlboro followed by Watkins Glen (No bus-stop, no "Boot", no guardrail). First race was the "Reading Road Races" which included some airport runways and service roads lined with telephone poles. I got transferred to Detroit and ran Waterford Hills quite a bit as well as Grattan, Blackhawk Farms, IRP, and Nelson Ledges. The "Big" tracks were Michigan Intl Road Course , Mid-Ohio, and Road America.
Heck yeah, after learning to race (and how to go 3-wide) at Waterford, Grattan and Gingerman are "big" tracks! RA is an enduro (and so is the tow, thanks Chicago)...
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Little track? -
How about 2.3 miles with 14 turns and 509' of overall elevation change on a hilltop? Try Palmer. Certainly not the largest or the best amenities but a ton of fun and challenging to master!

Thanks for the new wallpaper......

Quick Reply: In praise of little tracks