Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   This ACTUALLY Happened (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1144720-this-actually-happened.html)

PLNewman 05-25-2019 11:57 AM

This ACTUALLY Happened

At VIR with FSR on Friday. I had a student in Blue Group who was Solo rated by MOR at Mid-Ohio but was new to VIR. The assumption was that he would get quickly up to speed and could get signed off solo at VIR. In the day’s third session, as we approached the climbing uphill esses, a waving White flag was thrown. Assuming the student had not seen it, I asked, “What’s a Waving White?” Without hesitation, he braked hard and came to a full stop in the esses within view of the flag station. How I am alive today, I do not know.

LuigiVampa 05-25-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by PLNewman (Post 15864698)
At VIR with FSR on Friday. I had a student in Blue Group who was Solo rated by MOR at Mid-Ohio but was new to VIR. The assumption was that he would get quickly up to speed and could get signed off solo at VIR. In the day’s third session, as we approached the climbing uphill esses, a waving White flag was thrown. Assuming the student had not seen it, I asked, “What’s a Waving White?” Without hesitation, he braked hard and came to a full stop in the esses within view of the flag station. How I am alive today, I do not know.

Always a crap shoot at the beginning of the day.

Sounds like it should have been yellow and white flag if they were waving the white flag. White with yellow is a common combination.

Veloce Raptor 05-25-2019 12:38 PM

A full stop...wow.

And people like this are allowed to vote and reproduce

dxbtousa 05-25-2019 12:41 PM

For a track peasant - can we get a readers digest of the above?

ProCoach 05-25-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PLNewman (Post 15864698)

Holy smokes... smdh...

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 15864722)
Always a crap shoot at the beginning of the day.

Sounds like it should have been yellow and white flag if they were waving the white flag. White with yellow is a common combination.

While that's a good idea, it's not a requirement. Heck, I've raced through white flags (no yellow) into Big Bend on Labor Day... Think of the prize money! ;)

Veloce Raptor 05-25-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by dxbtousa
For a track peasant - can we get a readers digest of the above?

White flag usually means a slower moving vehicle ahead. No action is required. A red flag indicates an urgent emergency somewhere on track, requiring all cars to come to a controlled safe stop within sight of a nearby corner station.

This ding dong made a staggeringly huge and very dangerous mistake

dxbtousa 05-25-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15864782)
White flag usually means a slower moving vehicle ahead. No action is required. A red flag indicates an urgent emergency somewhere on track, requiring all cars to come to a controlled safe stop within sight of a nearby corner station.

This ding dong made a staggeringly huge and very dangerous mistake

Thank you kind sir.

CCA 05-25-2019 12:55 PM

Yikes! I was supposed to be there this w/end and would have been instructing, but out recovering from some injuries.
Always good to quiz students on flag meanings before going out.... Sometimes I remember to. :rolleyes:

ProCoach 05-25-2019 12:59 PM

The drivers meeting yesterday and this morning had a comprehensive review of the flags, including the white one...

ABusLux 05-25-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CCA (Post 15864790)
Always good to quiz students on flag meanings before going out.... Sometimes I remember to. :rolleyes:

Ain’t that part of mandatory drivers briefings? It should, and it was in all track days I have joined so far.

sbelles 05-25-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ABusLux (Post 15864802)
Ain’t that part of mandatory drivers briefings? It should, and it was in all track days I have joined so far.

I'ts always part of the novice student classroom sessions but Blue and above students are usually assumed to know their flags.

CCA 05-25-2019 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ABusLux (Post 15864802)

Yes FSR goes over the flags in the drivers meeting, but folk have a tendency to hear things and not remember them, especially when under stress. Learning a new track can be stressful, especially one as complex as VIR. Then if you have a student the knows the flags, the next challenge is getting them to look at the flagging stations.

LuigiVampa 05-25-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15864755)
A full stop...wow.

And people like this are allowed to vote and reproduce

Careful, you'll get the thread thrown into P&C!

It's funny that this goes both ways - full stop when not called for and full steam ahead for a red flag.

I've been fortunate to only have been in one red flag race - 2018 PCA at Summit Point. Car flipped in the rain.

BFT3.2 05-25-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dxbtousa (Post 15864784)
Thank you kind sir.

And.. Check your mirrors first before slowing down for the Red Flag or you might get a fast mover who didn't see the flag go right up your tail pipe.

ProCoach 05-25-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 15864948)

It's funny that this goes both ways - full stop when not called for and full steam ahead for a red flag.

You raise a hell of a good point.

It's because people aren't paying attention...

Still think we need drills.