Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   This ACTUALLY Happened (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1144720-this-actually-happened.html)

mgordon18 05-31-2019 09:25 AM

I agree that it's life and death. If someone misses a flag on-track or takes the wrong action when thrown, of course sit them down for a session or two. But if they've only gotten a question wrong, tell them the answer, go over the flags with them again. Hell, even make them sit down and study until they can come back with the right answer and action for all the flags, however long that takes. But don't mandate that they sit out the morning as some sort of childish punishment unless you're also willing to give them part of their fees back. Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question? Learn the answer, commit to doing the right thing, go out there, and drive.

All this being said, it's about event expectations. If there's some sort of stipulation in the track pack or registration process that says, "By paying these fees, you agree that we can sit you down for [reasons] with no money back," then all bets are off.

993Guy 05-31-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by mgordon18 (Post 15876543)
While I agree with this in principle, if you sit me for the morning because I miss a question in the drivers' meeting, I'd better see 1/4 of my registration fees come back to my credit card...

No worries, skip the drivers meeting. :icon107:

ProCoach 05-31-2019 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mgordon18 (Post 15877252)
All this being said, it's about event expectations. If there's some sort of stipulation in the track pack or registration process that says, "By paying these fees, you agree that we can sit you down for [reasons] with no money back," then all bets are off.

Having operated and attended non-competitive, DE and competitive track events for decades, a majority of them (at least the smart ones) have this wording INCLUDED as an acknowledgement of these conditions by the entrant.

The organizer can excuse an entrant for part or all of the event at their discretion, without recourse. And that's a good thing, sometimes...

Bull_D 05-31-2019 01:35 PM

the idea in this process is it puts additional focus/urgency to knowing whatever it is you are getting quizzed on. you don't want to look the fool, and you don't want to have to sit out. my guess, performance on flag quizzes improves quickly.

"Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question?"

If you miss the question in the meeting, you aren't going to do it right on the track.....so yeah, missing the question equates to a stupid mistake on track...hence this whole thread. just proposing that part of the reason it goes on is it isn't handled with the proper gravity.

hacker-pschorr 05-31-2019 04:08 PM

How many tracks have a critter flag like Road America?

Matt Romanowski 05-31-2019 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is part of the materials for the Belle Isle GP this weekend and highlights some of the differences in flag protocol.

sbelles 06-02-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bull_D (Post 15877764)
the idea in this process is it puts additional focus/urgency to knowing whatever it is you are getting quizzed on. you don't want to look the fool, and you don't want to have to sit out. my guess, performance on flag quizzes improves quickly.

"Make a stupid mistake on-track? Yup. Have a seat for a few hours and think about how you directly put people in danger. Miss a question?"

If you miss the question in the meeting, you aren't going to do it right on the track.....so yeah, missing the question equates to a stupid mistake on track...hence this whole thread. just proposing that part of the reason it goes on is it isn't handled with the proper gravity.

I like the idea but instead of sitting them down for a session, I wold try to teach them. Call their instructor over and have a conversation about it. If they are a solo student then I would try to put an instructor in their car for a while. If they balk at that, I wold show them the gate.

bcp2011 06-02-2019 10:42 PM

And then there’s this...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trac...3934?sfns=xmwa

RolleiBob 06-03-2019 11:55 AM

I was at an HPDE at Barber this weekend. The track marshal gave the flag talk. In five minutes, best this flag means "x" and you react "y", I have heard. Clear and concise. Yes, more details could be added, but for someone experienced a great reminder and for the beginner, not an overwhelming amount of info.

I have been following this thread and paid close attention to how the flags would be presented at this event. Wanted to give a shout out to Barber for their presentation.

TXE36 06-03-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RolleiBob (Post 15883318)
I was at an HPDE at Barber this weekend. The track marshal gave the flag talk. In five minutes, best this flag means "x" and you react "y", I have heard. Clear and concise. Yes, more details could be added, but for someone experienced a great reminder and for the beginner, not an overwhelming amount of info.

I have been following this thread and paid close attention to how the flags would be presented at this event. Wanted to give a shout out to Barber for their presentation.

This probably matters more than it seems - nobody likes a driver's meeting that goes on and on and on....

-Mike