Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Instructor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

My belief is that both Terry and Peter are correct. I employ a hybrid approach to professional coaching, riding right seat with select clients as well as using data and video. The best of both worlds! But yeah, riding right seat exposes me to physical risk...and sweating
Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
An instructor has got to be able to channel that "inner *******" to get a non-listening and dangerous student off the track as soon as possible. Listen to that inner voice you mentioned as even if you ultimately have a redeemable student, a hot track session is not the place to solve that problem.
I often use the insurance trick. Do you have Track Insurance, the typical answer is “no”. And for those that answer “yes” I ask, did you read the policy correctly, the valuation of your car, the deductible, costs for track repairs? This is a great tool to reel in those newbies with $60K+ cars that suddenly realize a mistake will cost them no less than $10K out of pocket - suddenly everyone wants to listen to the Instructor
Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts

I started doing DE in 1992 after about 15 years of autocrossing. I had an instructor for my first few events, but was quickly signed off, and I ran solo most of the time. There is a good possibility that I have been self-taught a number of bad habits as a result, but I'm still alive. I began instructing in 1997 at the request of our region's CI, and did so with many organizations for 16 years after which I found I just didn't have the energy or inclination to continue on a regular basis. I have come out of "retirement" to coach personal friends a few times, but for the most part I felt like I had "given back" my fair share and then some. Three consecutive weekends riding right seat in 600 HP cars was certainly a factor. It became painfully apparent to me that I, the instructor, was NOT in control of that car (contrary to BMWCCA mantra). Things just happen too fast. All it takes is a twitch of the right foot and you are into the wall. There was a lot more room for error when a "fast" car was a 145 HP 944.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:17 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

So,
I instruct because I enjoy it. Personally, I would not have progressed in this hobby without the benefit of right seat instruction.

I find I regularly insist that students slow down until they get it right. For what it's worth, after maybe 300 days instructing, no one has crashed with me in the car. Maybe luck, maybe not.

I have one overriding rule for myself, and my student: You're an adult. Act like one.

And yeah, its pretty wild that first day drivers can drive their GT2/3/4 cars significantly faster on the straights than I can in my 25 year old car.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Timely thread. Are other PCA regions seeing/feeling a moderate shortage of instructors at their DE events? At our Limerock events a week and a half ago with NNJR, most instructors were doubled up (i.e., two students per instructor) due to low number of instructor signing up for the event. One-off or increasing trend in your PCA region?

@dgrobs, welcome to Black!!
For the most part I have had more than enough instructors, and in fact I tend to turn away a few that don't meet my requirements. For years our instructors have had only one student. We typically send a few of our advanced students to instructor school each year. In fact we just started a new "in house" program to train a few drivers each year before they head out to the instructor school.

This is what I send out to drivers wanting to instruct with us:

Thank you for your interest in instructing at our HPDE at Barber. I am always looking for new, qualified instructors to join our ranks. Below I outline how I assign instructors to our events.
  1. I am fortunate to have a large cadre of experienced instructors who have been working with us for years. Most of these instructors paid to attend a Barber specific instructor training course that we offered 5-6 years ago. Therefore, they are given first shot at instructing for the event.
  2. The second category is for qualified instructors who have instructed/driven Barber in the past (with other groups).
  3. The third and final category is qualified instructors who have never driven at Barber. To be honest, I rarely use these individuals. If you are in this class, I strongly suggest that you drive Barber with us (or any other group), which then moves you up into the second group.
What do I mean be qualified? First, instructors should have gone through a rigorous instructor training program, such as those offered by the PCA and BWMCCA. I prefer instructors who have years of experience under their belts as well. If you have not instructed with us before, I typically ask you to provide me with the name and email address of your local CDI so that I can get a reference. Lastly, I am not interested in bringing in instructors who are just checking Barber off of their bucket list and do not plan on returning as an instructor in the future.

Once you have successfully instructed with us, you move to category 1. By successful, I mean that you receive a positive review from your student, you review your student at the end of the event, you play well with others in your assigned run group, and you are not a PITA to the organizers ;-)

Where to go from here. You are welcome to register as an instructor at this point, and you will be put into the “Waitlist” category. If I am short of instructors 1-week prior to the event, I will begin moving “potential” instructors to “confirmed status. If you do not make it into the instructor ranks for the event, you will be given two options. First is to transfer to a fully paid driver, and second is to cancel the event (at which point your $75 will be refunded).

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:47 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,431 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Manifold, maybe I'm reading an undertone here you didn't intend, but I don't think DE participants should be expected to progress to become instructors. They should not be pressured or guilted to "give back", they have paid their entry fees and sometimes instructor fees. They are paid up as far as I'm concerned and only need to progress as far as they wish. If they wish to instruct and are capable of doing it well (many aren't) then we need to make it worth the effort because, when done well, it is work. Work which is done in a stressful and dangerous environment.
Agreed. Plus not everyone has the temperament or communications skill set to become an instructor.

Originally Posted by NYoutftr

Originally Posted by Mordeth

There is also a selfish side to instructing. You are placed into a position of immediate authority, importance and respect. You are given "control" over a circumstance and an individual and are now responsible (at least in part) for the outcome. New, green students almost always hold the "instructors" in awe and reverence, and this feeling is a desirable one for human beings. It also brings about a bit of autonomy at a DE. I enjoy it too and I would be lying if I didn't admit it. Almost every instructor you meet or read, will usually be sure to throw somewhere in the conversation "I am an instructor". Happens on these forums and pretty much everywhere, and I do it too.
Who didn't feel a sense of pride when they become an instructor?

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Just wanted to chime in and express my gratitude for what you guys do! Thank you!

I would never sit right seat in anybody’s car on track given the risks involved. It’s an agreement I have struck with my better half and myself. There are many other ways to give back and improve the system. I have been very fortunate with some great PCA instructors that introduced me to data analysis, note taking, car set-up and racing and I’m still in touch with most of them today. I usually mentor 2-3 new PCA Club Racers every year through their first race weekend. I find that really rewarding, especially when they start doing really well as they progress.

I have started to DE again this year and given my time constraints I treat the day just like a race day. Every session has a purpose and video and data is reviewed between sessions. I take vigorous notes and check over the car and make setup adjustments between sessions. Most of the time I will work with a coach and sometimes a chassis engineer. I have no idea how I would find the time to take on a student or two in addition to all that.
There are other ways to give back, as you have shown Frank, by working with PCA National. Everyone has to make their own choices about what they are comfortable with. I know you have helped me with my racing!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Great thread.
I find when I talk to fellow instructors face to face about students, it's more of a bitching session.
The information here is very valuable.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I spent years building Instructor groups. Recruiting, evaluating, training in the early days. From my archives from 20+ years ago. It was always about the students and the growth of the DE sport to me. It's a homogeneous group still here in NJ/Metro area. I'm not sure but I would fear a deminishing group of Instructor Candidates. Also each region still seems to have different standards. CVR still tops to me. It is getting tougher to Instruct I feel with all the new sophisticated driving aids. But we need to keep them on for PCA & our safety as well.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't think I would like to be instructed by a guy named Mordeth.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I prefer LessDeth as my instructor or Maybe MorThrottle.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
I started doing DE in 1992 after about 15 years of autocrossing. I had an instructor for my first few events, but was quickly signed off, and I ran solo most of the time. There is a good possibility that I have been self-taught a number of bad habits as a result, but I'm still alive. I began instructing in 1997 at the request of our region's CI, and did so with many organizations for 16 years after which I found I just didn't have the energy or inclination to continue on a regular basis. I have come out of "retirement" to coach personal friends a few times, but for the most part I felt like I had "given back" my fair share and then some. Three consecutive weekends riding right seat in 600 HP cars was certainly a factor. It became painfully apparent to me that I, the instructor, was NOT in control of that car (contrary to BMWCCA mantra). Things just happen too fast. All it takes is a twitch of the right foot and you are into the wall. There was a lot more room for error when a "fast" car was a 145 HP 944.
Agree 100 %, that is why I gave up driving a 1977 Chevy Monza tube frame race car at. 145 mph before the bus stop at WGI is way to fast for me now, 944 at 120 mph gives more room for error and yet has all the fun and excitement in each corner, lap time slower because you get to the corner in less time
Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Old forum handle. Name is Anthony.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Hi Anthony. Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Great thread.
I find when I talk to fellow instructors face to face about students, it's more of a bitching session.
The information here is very valuable.
Goddammit, I am NOT an ******* with an attitude problem! Don't listen to what they say!!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Great thread.
Ah! You must be sharing beers with Gary R. or Hunt after the track goes cold!

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: The Instructor Thread