The Instructor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
Its generally more relaxed in Europe, but in the UK most days are described as Open Pit Lane. So no sessions, you're free to come and go as you wish (assuming max number of cars on track isn't reached). 50% are organised by the circuit venue, the other 50% are organised by registered TDO's (Track day Organisers). Of which there are around a dozen in the UK although most days are organised by 5-6 long standing companies.

10 years ago most track days were sessioned and typically split into 3 groups -, experienced, intermediate and novice. Most often you'd select your own group but then the instructors onsite would move you if it was thought appropriate. This format is no longer used though other than on very rare occasions.

Of those that operate there is a spread in the general quality of driver and car that attend the events. Some are aimed at more novice drivers, with more cars on track but a cheaper fee. Others are at the more premium end and are often 50% racers and 50% road/modified road cars attending with reduced numbers. Generally proper Test days are in comparison limited and more expensive than track days. Although this is improving gradually.

Regarding instructors, the circuit venue or organiser generally provide 2-3 instructors on the day that can be booked in 20 minute sessions or longer periods. And then there would probably be around 10 - 20% of drivers will bring along their own instructor. Occasionally if your driving ability/safety is called into question the TDO will make you pay for an instructor session who will assess the drivers competence to be on track. Of the racers, it would be a higher percentage that bring along their own coach/use the Teams designated Pro.

The overtaking rules are fairly strict for track days. It is by consent, only on the straights and passing on the left only. One premium TDO pays higher insurance premiums and allows overtaking on both sides. Their days usually have a high percentage of racers attending.
So, no ARDS requirements for non MSA track days?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I have to say that the day an event assigns me more than 1 student is the last day I instruct for them (exception - check out ride, one run with an advanced driver, or I don't have a running car).
I put way too much into my 1 student to have time for another.
+1
Old 05-06-2019, 10:54 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 170 Posts

I have to say that the day an event assigns me more than 1 student is the last day I instruct for them (exception - check out ride, one run with an advanced driver, or I don't have a running car).
Agreed 100%. Wish more clubs thought like this.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

I've had 2 students a few times and found it as exhausting both mentally and physically.
I hate too admit that I have mixed up the skills of my 2 student momentarily. Not good for anyone.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 172 Posts

I've done a day with 4 students in 4 run groups and it was exhausting but fun in the classic sense of "some things are fun to do and some things are fun to have done." Running a marathon also falls in the second category, I'm told.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I've done a day with 4 students in 4 run groups and it was exhausting but fun in the classic sense of "some things are fun to do and some things are fun to have done." Running a marathon also falls in the second category, I'm told.
Didn't you have 4 of us at Chin Thunderbolt? (although only 1 was a full time student).

You did instruct 4 of us that rainy Sunday, yes? Kudos to you...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Didn't you have 4 of us at Chin Thunderbolt? (although only 1 was a full time student).

You did instruct 4 of us that rainy Sunday, yes? Kudos to you...
Yeah, I had a novice plus I rode with the three of you but on the day I'm referencing above I had 4 students in 4 run groups with 4 sessions each so 16 potential instructing sessions (ended up 14 as I did two sessions only with the most advanced guy that day). And I was mostly in charge of Top Gun style international relations when I was with you guys.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I had a novice plus I rode with the three of you but on the day I'm referencing above I had 4 students in 4 run groups with 4 sessions each so 16 potential instructing sessions (ended up 14 as I did two sessions only with the most advanced guy that day). And I was mostly in charge of Top Gun style international relations when I was with you guys.
Not sure how you could keep 4 full time students in one day straight. That's some serious instructing...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Not sure how you could keep 4 full time students in one day straight. That's some serious instructing...
Hahaha.... at least it was on Summit Point Shenandoah so there were only like a bazillion turns and no long straights to relax on, so I had that going for me.

Some things are fun to do, some things are fun to have done.

We were a little understaffed and there were some advanced group drivers who had never driven the track so they needed a guide for a few laps but my level 3 guy shouldn't have been so I was there all day. It is what it is. I have a lot of fun in the right seat despite the risks.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Hahaha.... at least it was on Summit Point Shenandoah so there were only like a bazillion turns and no long straights to relax on, so I had that going for me.

Some things are fun to do, some things are fun to have done.

We were a little understaffed and there were some advanced group drivers who had never driven the track so they needed a guide for a few laps but my level 3 guy shouldn't have been so I was there all day. It is what it is. I have a lot of fun in the right seat despite the risks.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just got an email from Tarheel Chapter BMWCCA, really good group, but they are having a REALLY tough time coming up with instructors...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

There's also the vicious cycle to be considered here. When an organization is short of instructors, and the instructors who do show up are pressured or obligated to take more than one student, those instructors may stop coming to that organization's events in the future, which worsens the problem. A solution is to guarantee only one student, and limit the number of accepted students accordingly, but the lost student revenue can have a financial impact which the event organizer may not be able or willing to bear.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
There's also the vicious cycle to be considered here.

A solution is to guarantee only one student, and limit the number of accepted students accordingly, but the lost student revenue can have a financial impact which the event organizer may not be able or willing to bear.
The latter is a real issue considering the extraordinary increase in track rental and associated charges for any of the "big" tracks.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The latter is a real issue considering the extraordinary increase in track rental and associated charges for any of the "big" tracks.
Why have those track rental costs gone up so much? More demand? Higher insurance costs?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Just got an email from Tarheel Chapter BMWCCA, really good group, but they are having a REALLY tough time coming up with instructors...
Could it also be a fact that BMWCCA requires everyone to be a member because of US tax laws (which PCA doesn't) for their events.

Quick Reply: The Instructor Thread