Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Far less than 20% of DE folks move on to Club Racing, and of those that do, less than 20% stay in Club Racing longer than three years.
Where did you get those numbers?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Lastly, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I really get a lot of personal satisfaction out of instructing. This is my 12th year since I started going to the track, 5th year of racing, and 2nd year instructing. I always ask my students what do you hope to learn today and what are your long term goals. I finally had a student last year who said his long term goal was to race. That was me 12 years ago - it felt good and he did well on his first day. I hope he makes it. (So he can finish in back of me because I need the points!)
Same here, although I don't race. I get a kick out of former students of mine racing or when I see them introduced at the DE instructor meeting as newly minted instructors years later. Also, the longer you instruct, the more participants in the paddock have been a left seater of yours at least once and simply getting that nod in the paddock upon making eye contact is satisfying as well - although it highlights my horrible ability to remember names. I seem to remember a tag line around here, goes something like this "I may not remember your name, but always consider you a friend" as the number of "former students" builds over the years.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I continued to instruct at DE’s long after I started club racing, because doing so accelerated MY learning and understanding.
Big time.

In addition, life's circumstances have prevented me from having a trackable car over the last year so all I've been doing is instructing. Keeps me sharp and I don't have the withdrawals from quitting cold turkey. Now here is the kicker, most instructors have done a car-less weekend here and there. My car-less weekend that ended yesterday was one of the funnest DEs I've ever had car or no car. I can't say I saw that coming and what a pleasant surprise.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Not sure why so many here posts about benefits for instructors; like free breakfast, lunch, track time, etc. When I started it was because I was giving back and supported my region without expectations - well that and the free beers I received when track went cold. I know regions where benefits consist of next to nothing and yes, those regions have gotten a reputation and are struggling to get instructors that went through some sort of instructor school
Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
The original business model for DE events was an instructor drove at the DE for free.

The cost of track rental has increased much faster than the inflation rate that an instructor now pays for track time at a discounted rate but no longer free.
This IS true for the period between 1985 to about 2000-2005 in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. There were always enough instructors up to about fifteen years ago, and the track rental and event costs, while not inexpensive, were a fraction of what they are now. I remember the introduction of instructor fees (it was $50-$75 initially, if you took one student, $0 if you took two) and it was very controversial among the clubs that did it. But now it's almost universal.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I sit left seat.
I have benefited from some really good instructors.
If I could interject from the student's seat.

Communication. The back and forth of expectations from each other has been key for my driving developement and the enjoyment of the DEs.

Making sure comm devices are stress free, not too loud and clear.
Communicating in the staging area and in the pit area for debriefing after the session, has been very helpful.
Getting use to each others voice via comms, lays a foundation for flawless communication.
I would think going into a turn too hot, that split second my instructor anticipates / notices, I was late in braking zone, the instructor is fimilar enough with me/my skill to talk me through. It is a big deal for students to be confortable with the instructors unique voice and not "WHAT DID YOU SAY, I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND YOU"

I didn't want to hijack instructors thread, but communicating is very important.
Just my $.02
-David
Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how to solve the "global instructor shortage", or how to solve any problem well out of my control or even understanding. But what I can do is continue to spend time on being a better instructor myself, set a good example for others and do my best to be a humble, motivating leader to students, who they themselves may aspire to. I do my very best to stay sharp and on top of my game, on top of the technology and on top of not just the history of DE and racing, but the current events that continue to shape the sport and the physics behind it all.

Further, I take the responsibility of instructing extremely seriously. I am basically being paid to keep someone as safe as I can in a potentially dangerous environment and teach them something somewhat complex that they didn't know. The student and organization expects a professional, detail oriented instructor/coach that sets clear goals and a well defined path to achieve them, all accomplished using a communication style that is tailored to each student. This is what I strive for.

I have five basic rules for myself as an instructor and three basic goals for the student:

My rules for myself:
1) Be respectful
2) Build trust
3) Always stay positive
4) Always remain calm
5) Always keep learning

My goals for each student (standard DE goals):
1) Be safe
2) Have fun
3) Learn

But like everything, these are simply words on a screen until they are executed, and the execution is critical and ultimately will determine the outcome. Most of the students I have are expecting me to tell them what to do, keep them safe, allow them to have fun, learn and then ultimately go faster/quicker. I spend alot of time asking questions of each student and listening to the answers . A wise man once told me to "be the guide on the side, not the sage on the stage" (this was after a student found out I also raced, asked me how to "race" and I gave a long boring speech about it). And so now I take that to heart (a guide, not a sage). I hear some instructors at the track who do alot of preaching and telling. And not enough asking, listening and guiding. Their intention is good but their execution is flawed. They have no goals (or unclear ones) and just jump in the car and go, all the while barking orders.

I spend an entire day prior to every event setting a jointly agreed upon agenda for every student I have, which is arrived at after a series of questions, and then I execute against this agenda as much as is possible, making adjustments as needed along the way. I also encourage any data gathering that is available for intermediate drivers and I feel it is basically mandatory for an advanced driver to progress.

So if I ask a question and a student says "I don't know..." My answer is "Well what if you did know? What do you think the answer is?" This gets them thinking. I also want to know not just their stated goals, but their "secret" goals (credit to Ross Bentley). I ask at least one question for every statement I make. I ask them where they think they should brake, or turn, or accelerate on a given corner. I ask them how the car felt when they did something, and what that told them. I ask them what they think would happen if they did "XXX" or if they didn't do "YYY". I ask them how much longer the fuel in the car will last, or what the last flag that was displayed was, what it meant and to whom it was directed at (all, you, car #45 etc). I ask them which corner they think they did best at and why. I ask them what their starting tire pressure was and what it should end at, and then I watch as they check it after each run. I ask them what they think might happen to the brake pedal if the fluid boils, and what we plan to do it about it if it happens (it shouldn't ever happen, but what if?) And so on. And then I listen carefully to the answers and respond/guide accordingly with direct positive statements and simple advice. I am only negative if they did something unsafe. Otherwise, every word that leaves my mouth is either an open ended question, a positive reinforcement or a very clear guide to improving.

The behavior, attitude and technique required to teach effectively is a learned behavior. It is a skill in and of itself that must be studied and practiced just like anything else. People far smarter than me have devoted their entire lives to it. The very least (and minimum) an instructor should do is to take the responsibility very seriously, study and practice it, and then attempt to emulate the best of us (like Matt, Peter, Luigi, Manifold etc etc), but still make it our own.

There is also a selfish side to instructing. You are placed into a position of immediate authority, importance and respect. You are given "control" over a circumstance and an individual and are now responsible (at least in part) for the outcome. New, green students almost always hold the "instructors" in awe and reverence, and this feeling is a desirable one for human beings. It also brings about a bit of autonomy at a DE. I enjoy it too and I would be lying if I didn't admit it. Almost every instructor you meet or read, will usually be sure to throw somewhere in the conversation "I am an instructor". Happens on these forums and pretty much everywhere, and I do it too.

So I instruct for the following, honest reasons:

1) To give back and help others
2) To learn more about myself
3) Because I enjoy being in the position of an instructor (it's true), and I certainly wouldn't want an instructor/coach who didn't enjoy it (for whatever admittedly selfish reasons that exist)

So I think that regions should promote these ideals, as it what attracted me to being an instructor. A clearly defined, organized curriculum for both instructors and students is a great asset towards encouraging new enrollment.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Awesome post, Mordeth!
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth

There is also a selfish side to instructing. You are placed into a position of immediate authority, importance and respect. You are given "control" over a circumstance and an individual and are now responsible (at least in part) for the outcome. New, green students almost always hold the "instructors" in awe and reverence, and this feeling is a desirable one for human beings. It also brings about a bit of autonomy at a DE. I enjoy it too and I would be lying if I didn't admit it. Almost every instructor you meet or read, will usually be sure to throw somewhere in the conversation "I am an instructor". Happens on these forums and pretty much everywhere, and I do it too.

That's a very honest and salient point. You never hear this as a response to the question "why do you instruct?" but I'm pretty sure that this is one of the motivating factors for nearly everyone who becomes an instructor. For some it's a small part and for others it goes to their head.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Thank you Mordeth! As a new instructor, I will be taking this as my personal guideline.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Well said, Mordeth
Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well said, Mordeth
+1000
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Just wanted to chime in and express my gratitude for what you guys do! Thank you!

I would never sit right seat in anybody’s car on track given the risks involved. It’s an agreement I have struck with my better half and myself. There are many other ways to give back and improve the system. I have been very fortunate with some great PCA instructors that introduced me to data analysis, note taking, car set-up and racing and I’m still in touch with most of them today. I usually mentor 2-3 new PCA Club Racers every year through their first race weekend. I find that really rewarding, especially when they start doing really well as they progress.

I have started to DE again this year and given my time constraints I treat the day just like a race day. Every session has a purpose and video and data is reviewed between sessions. I take vigorous notes and check over the car and make setup adjustments between sessions. Most of the time I will work with a coach and sometimes a chassis engineer. I have no idea how I would find the time to take on a student or two in addition to all that.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

The Dinner With Racers podcast has an interesting interview with Terry Earwood, the legendary chief driving instructor for the Skip Barber Schools. By Terry's estimation, he has sat right seat with more than 40,000 student drivers. And he mentions that "some coaches" (and he names Peter "ProCoach" Krause specifically) have perfected "outside the car" driver instruction, using data and video analysis. But, he says, for an instructor, nothing beats the right seat where you can see the driver's eyes and watch the way he handles the controls. Peter will argue that data doesn't lie. But Terry Earwood insists that being IN THE CAR allows the instructor to see and correct mistakes in REAL TIME. It also, he admits, exposes the instructor to real time danger...and he vividly recalls several crashes he was involved in with students. (The podcast is here: http://www.dinnerwithracers.com/ep-120-terry-earwood/)

Of course, a local DE and a Skippy Barber school are entirely different animals. Skippy puts everyone in relatively equal cars and has a very specific format, which includes skid pad and autocross drills. At a DE, the student shows up with his own car... and is eager to keep it out of harm's way. Earwood was asked if there was a "tipoff" beforehand for a difficult student. And he said, "New driver shoes."

My personal tipoff usually comes during the pre-event meet and greet when I ask the student to "tell me about your car." When he starts talking, at length, about the performance upgrades he's made to increase speed and horsepower, I generally know we're in for a long weekend. It's not unusual these days to find yourself instructing right seat behind 500 Horsepower and a 3-point seat belt.

Last year, I was involved in three separate student-driven barrier impacts. In each case, my butt gyro told me there was a problem. The inner voice said, "You've got to bring him in and have a talk." And in each case I assured myself, "Next lap." The next lap never came. All three impacts involved students who wouldn't listen. So my advice to new instructors would be, "When the student ignores your instruction, he is probably on mental overload and can't see beyond the nose of the car. Do yourself a favor. Pull him into the pits. Take a break. Calm him down. Push reset."

Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! Terry Lee Earwood is the MAN! He’s an extraordinary instructor and has the most experience of anyone I know. Going to have to listen to that podcast today just to get more wisdom from one who knows...

Say what what you will, the Skip Barber Racing School, led by Regional and Program Chief instructors, specifically Terry, have for forty-five years studied what it takes to present this information a lot of us take for granted in the shortest time possible with the best result.

When I went to Lime Rock a long time ago to go through their weeklong instructor training program, Terry, Greg, Jason and Randy, all four Regional Chief Instructors for SBRS were running the program. The class consisted of eight prospective instructors, who were all “big fish in small ponds.” Well, after the second day, I wanted to go home, I felt so out of my depth.

Those guys were SO much more polished, had a tool for EVERY situation, could teach skidpad, autocross, classroom and give the best van rides from Hell without batting an eye. They just seemed as far above us as a novice’s first instructor.

But, Terry took me out to dinner in Lakeville that night and helped me understand that all this was normal, and that things WOULD get better. I finished the program, got my initials and badge and breathed a huge sigh of reliefs. Seems like so long ago. I owe Terry a huge thanks. He’s a great mentor.

Much of what the best instructors do is evaluate and assess, gauging the acceptance and even comprehension of the student in the drivers seat, assimilating all this information in a short period of time.

It’s a two-way street between the instructor and the student. Once the balance goes awry, one or both will go away wanting...

Great thread!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Last year, I was involved in three separate student-driven barrier impacts. In each case, my butt gyro told me there was a problem. The inner voice said, "You've got to bring him in and have a talk." And in each case I assured myself, "Next lap." The next lap never came. All three impacts involved students who wouldn't listen. So my advice to new instructors would be, "When the student ignores your instruction, he is probably on mental overload and can't see beyond the nose of the car. Do yourself a favor. Pull him into the pits. Take a break. Calm him down. Push reset."
Three barrier impacts in a year? Ouch!

As is typical in this sport, you learn things and can be challenged by challenges you didn't expect. I'm assuming from your post that you and I share one of these challenges - being too nice. I want my student to have a good time, I want them to see the light, I want them to share the joy that I have in this sport. However, this desire cannot overshadow safety of your student, yourself, and the others at the track.

I had difficulty with the "student from hell" training in ITS for exactly this reason and I'm not a warm and cuddlely sort of guy, in fact, I'm much closer to loud, fat ******* so this problem really surpised me and frankly I still work at it. In my first year of instructing, I got a real student from hell and I initially thought I handled it well and so did the CDI. However, as the session went though my head Saturday night I was still too nice and had allowed this guy to not listen on my "Brakes" command and then he tried passing without a point-by in the same session. He got back under control and I chewed him out after the session. In retrospect, should have pulled his *** in the first time he didn't listen to the "Brakes" command.

An instructor has got to be able to channel that "inner *******" to get a non-listening and dangerous student off the track as soon as possible. Listen to that inner voice you mentioned as even if you ultimately have a redeemable student, a hot track session is not the place to solve that problem.

-Mike

Quick Reply: The Instructor Thread