Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,475 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am thankful I have never felt compelled to employ this technique in the face of disaster. That said, my 20 years also at the track and coaching has taught me one over arching truism about this wonderful sport: there is more than one way to skin every possible permutation of cat. To say that, because one person wouldn't do it, therefore it should never be done, is just plain silly. And this applies to pretty much anything in racing
+1

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In this thread, this is a silly, petty little argument... Doesn't bring him back.

I'm with you, VR. It all goes out the window when it's you in the seat with no pedals or wheel in front of you.

I've had only a few moments when I thought I was going to get badly hurt in thirty-plus years of paying clients...

The odds are NOT getting better, and I was very lucky.
+1
Old 04-24-2019, 11:23 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The pro driving coaches in this thread, who have experience with it, seem to disagree with your anonymous friend who has no experience with it.
Maybe we can start a poll.

When to grab the wheel of a student.

1. in a spin
2. about to hit wall
3. two wheels off
4. to teach apex line

To think you are going to change the outcome in 1-2 is a fantasy.

3-4 rare, but maybe. I would never in 4. But could see an instance in 3. Many have stated the same.

40 years racing motorcycles, cars, boats and SCCA licensed, POC licensed, PCA Instructor.

Over and out.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
but it is taught to instructors. was taught to me during instructor school 3 yrs ago and its accepted in the 5 groups i instruct with. there is no period. its just that your friend never heard of it. consider the possibility...
Originally Posted by 95spiderman
bmwcca its 2016. scda, nasa, hod.
And we can add the largest PCA region to that list, among others.
Is it just me or are their certain regions that take it upon themselves that every other region has to follow their lead, that they teach the gospel? I.E.: BMWCCA doesn't allow convertibles and therefore PCA can't either, etc, etc, etc.

SmH

P.S.
Disclaimer
I've been in a car with an instructor who grabbed the steering wheel in mid turn. He accused me of stab double braking and upsetting the car and the line because my PDK decided to downshift in that corner every lap. I fired him.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,544 Likes on 2,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Is it just me or are their certain regions that take it upon themselves that every other region has to follow their lead, that they teach the gospel? I.E.: BMWCCA doesn't allow convertibles and therefore PCA can't either, etc, etc, etc.
I haven't seen that happening much. But organizations should certainly share ideas and try to learn from each other, so that best practices become widely known and adopted.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Love it.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

SmH
OMG, yes! Not confined to geographic areas or specific marques. Happens all over the country, across every region, chapter or organizer, in my experience. Folks stuck in the MUD! Manifold, you really need to get out more. Potomac is great (known and have been teaching with some of the senior guys since 1989), but they are not the be-all, end-all, IMO.

No one is. Not even people that make a majority of their income from DOING JUST THIS (and have for decades) are... The craft and practice, not to mention the execution, can ALWAYS be improved...

That said, I see some more progressive individual regions/chapters/groups reevaluating their "best practices" in light of more experience/data/outcomes, to GOOD effect! Most notably, Hill Country Region PCA, Niagara Region PCA and NASA-Great Lakes Region stand out to me.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,544 Likes on 2,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Manifold, you really need to get out more. Potomac is great (known and have been teaching with some of the senior guys since 1989), but they are not the be-all, end-all, IMO.
I agree, I don't hold Potomac out to be a model for everyone else to follow, and I haven't noticed Potomac pushing for other regions to follow their lead either. I used Potomac mainly as a counterexample to the ideas that PCA generally frowns on grabbing the wheel and that organizations don't teach that practice to instructors.

FWIW, my best DE experience, both driving and instructing, has been with Chin.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

standardization is what motorsport safety foundation is trying to accomplish. they talk about instructor taking wheel in their course too
Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

I agree, I don't hold Potomac out to be a model for everyone else to follow. I used Potomac mainly as a counterexample to the ideas that PCA generally frowns on grabbing the wheel and that organizations don't teach that practice to instructors.

FWIW, my best DE experience, both driving and instructing, has been with Chin.

Follows what VR said, "there are a million ways to skin a cat..." Certainly, the more I have done this, the less I know for ABSOLUTE sure...

I have read and listened to a lot of strong regional/chapter folks saying "PCA generally frowns upon..." or "BMWCCA generally frowns upon..." as if the National leadership and DEC members are somehow this nameless, faceless (and clueless?) entity.

I haven't found that to be the case. Most of the folks serving in a national capacity want to be a better resource to those in the field, the local regions and chapters. There isn't enough (or at least, consistent) dialog between CI's, Regional DEC members and the national groups their charter is held under, IMO. I'll add that I've seen some incredibly rigid, trenchant Region CI's and committees rejecting outright any possibility that their program can be improved...

Certainly Mark and Maria, as well as their talented staff, are a leading light in this discipline, for sure.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Maybe we can start a poll.

When to grab the wheel of a student.

1. in a spin
2. about to hit wall
3. two wheels off
4. to teach apex line

To think you are going to change the outcome in 1-2 is a fantasy.

3-4 rare, but maybe. I would never in 4. But could see an instance in 3. Many have stated the same.

40 years racing motorcycles, cars, boats and SCCA licensed, POC licensed, PCA Instructor.

Over and out.
As I posted earlier in this thread, my experience is just in racing and not instructing, but nevertheless I'll offer my perspective. In case 1 and 2 there's nothing an instructor can do to prevent a bad outcome, unless he is able to anticipate conditions 1 and 2 before they occur. I would imagine that if an instructor has a deep understanding of the car, the track, and the student's ability, he should be able to determine that the student is getting into trouble before the student does and an early intervention may prevent a dangerous scenario. Ideally I would hope that there is sufficient trust between the student and instructor to preclude conditions 1 and 2 from ever occurring.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

1. PCA written curriculum does not teach instructor steering wheel input
2. Motorsports Safety Association does not teach instructor steering wheel input

I have spoken with and confirmed which each.

Liability is the main rationale along with lack of ability to mitigate off course damage once "off track"

That said each body does leave it to the instructor as, for example;

1. student passes out
2. student panics and hands come off wheel
3. instructor believes his/her life is in danger and grabs wheel in a hail mary attempt

These two leading sanctioning bodies recognises there may be rare occurrences that instructor must make split second decisions and these were the examples used. But again, they dont teach instructor steering wheel right seat input.

Be smart and drive smooth.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
1. PCA written curriculum does not teach instructor steering wheel input
2. Motorsports Safety Association does not teach instructor steering wheel input

I have spoken with and confirmed which each.

Liability is the main rationale along with lack of ability to mitigate off course damage once "off track"

That said each body does leave it to the instructor as, for example;

1. student passes out
2. student panics and hands come off wheel
3. instructor believes his/her life is in danger and grabs wheel in a hail mary attempt

These two leading sanctioning bodies recognises there may be rare occurrences that instructor must make split second decisions and these were the examples used. But again, they dont teach instructor steering wheel right seat input.

Be smart and drive smooth.
SmH

You just continue and won't take a different view point. Fine! You want to do it then do it. You won't win this gospel argument you are fostering.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:48 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

RIP Peter
Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

SmH

You just continue and won't take a different view point. Fine! You want to do it then do it. You won't win this gospel argument you are fostering.
This not about winning online arguments.

This is about education, facts and safety.

You can share opinion just dont post it as a fact.

Thats all.

Quick Reply: Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019