Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I think it is worth pointing out a nuance here - there is grabbing the wheel in a dangerous situation in an attempt to avoid a serious incident when there are no other options and then there is regular instruction. The two are not alike - at all.

Again, this is totally different than grabbing the wheel in an emergency such as when the student isn't responding and the car is heading for a wall.

My $0.02.

-Mike
This is true.

On the former, I'm generally against the idea of "showing" or "assisting" the left-seat pilot with control inputs (unless I have duplicates on the passenger side, which do exist BTW). The idea of of "showing them" is better done with them in the right seat. Teaches humility, too.

On the latter, sure, grab the wheel. Do whatever you can after the crisis begins to mitigate loss. But don't think you're "in control." We will never know what the final moments were in that car, but I know the coach, as a professional, did everything he could. And it wasn't enough...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
But don't think you're "in control." We will never know what the final moments were in that car, but I know the coach, as a professional, did everything he could. And it wasn't enough...
Better thought of as a control input, and yes, still may not be enough. I"m not second guessing the instructor/coach here at all. Given his credentials, it is pretty sobering to a guy who does this occasionally on weekends.

-Mike
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,544 Likes on 2,584 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Better thought of as a control input, and yes, still may not be enough. I"m not second guessing the instructor/coach here at all. Given his credentials, it is pretty sobering to a guy who does this occasionally on weekends.

-Mike
When I look back at the crashes I know of where an instructor/coach was seriously injured or worse, the majority of those instructors/coaches were quite experienced.

So none of us should be overconfident about our ability to manage the risks while in the car, and we should also be paying attention to our safety gear, the safety systems in the car, and the safety of the track itself. In other words, assuming that the student will crash with you in the right seat, how protected are you against injury?

To the extent that those safety measures are lacking, I think it's important to keep the student on a tighter leash.

None of this commentary is meant to be critical of Peter London in any way. Beyond not knowing the details of this incident, I'm just so saddened about what happened to him and the grief his family and friends are experiencing. He was much too young. Such a terrible loss.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

driver of the car is in 'control' but instructor is in 'command'
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
driver of the car is in 'control' but instructor is in 'command'
You are fooling yourself...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

in ideal situation but not necessarily reality, unfortunately
Old 04-24-2019, 08:48 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

A life long friend of mine and fellow racer since middle school is today a retired pro driver and full time paid coach. It has been his career now since pro retirement and he has made his living as a paid coach for 20 plus years now.

He seconds the opinion that a wheel grab is never, ever taught to instructors. Period. "The mere thought that a last minute high speed off track incident can be altered (attempt to mitigate damage) by a wheel grab is a joke". It is a fantasy to think that from the passenger seat you will alter the outcome. Both feet in.

No one is second guessing this incident. The death is tragic beyond understanding of those that are not instructors and racers. We lifelong racers and instructors know our risk, and we accept it. But we can attempt to learn from this incident.

A lot of good input and dialogue in this thread.

Get to know your student, their attitude, driving history, time in "this car", track time, prior racing or track work. Daily driver? Occupation? New to track, tell me about your skateboard or bicycle, motorcycle experience etc... speed is speed and attitude and respect for speed is key to me. New to track, new to car, play a big role in how I coach driver and what I tell them I expect in the first few sessions. Smooth, hit the apexs and listen to my input. First time they fail to respond to input we are in the hot pits. Only had this once. Talk to your student and get to know them before you get in the car.

First few warm up laps tell me 95% of what I need to know. If you feel unsafe, get another instructor to go out with driver.

My heart is heavy for family and friends here. Having woke up in the hospital more than a few times from racing incidents I can relate as can my wife and family.

God speed.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

but it is taught to instructors. was taught to me during instructor school 3 yrs ago and its accepted in the 5 groups i instruct with. there is no period. its just that your friend never heard of it. consider the possibility...
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

Pro driving coach 20 years. Decent resume I'd say.

Post your resume for such statement along with the name of instructor school teaching wheel grab and under what circumstances! Love to see the curriculum from this school.

Kindly post the "five groups" also.

I am sure many would like to know and learn.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

but it is taught to instructors. was taught to me during instructor school 3 yrs ago and its accepted in the 5 groups i instruct with. there is no period. its just that your friend never heard of it. consider the possibility...
Never heard of it, no training or experience with it, and therefore basing his opinion on what he imagines might happen, rather than what has actually happened among those who have experience with it.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Pro driving coach 20 years. Decent resume I'd say.

Post your resume for such statement along with the name of instructor school teaching wheel grab and under what circumstances! Love to see the curriculum from this school.

Kindly post the "five groups" also.

I am sure many would like to know and learn.
The pro driving coaches in this thread, who have experience with it, seem to disagree with your anonymous friend who has no experience with it.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

bmwcca its 2016. scda, nasa, hod.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

bmwcca its 2016. scda, nasa, hod.
And we can add the largest PCA region to that list, among others.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

I am thankful I have never felt compelled to employ this technique in the face of disaster. That said, my 20 years also at the track and coaching has taught me one over arching truism about this wonderful sport: there is more than one way to skin every possible permutation of cat. To say that, because one person wouldn't do it, therefore it should never be done, is just plain silly. And this applies to pretty much anything in racing
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In this thread, this is a silly, petty little argument... Doesn't bring him back.

I'm with you, VR. It all goes out the window when it's you in the seat with no pedals or wheel in front of you.

I've had only a few moments when I thought I was going to get badly hurt in thirty-plus years of paying clients...

The odds are NOT getting better, and I was very lucky.

Quick Reply: Instructor killed at PBIR April 16 2019