Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land of the Free

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:19 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

A seemingly similar thing happened a few years ago in World Cup downhill mountain bike racing. The UCI (the FIA of cycling) announced that competitors were no longer allowed to use GoPros on their helmets and they, their teams or sponsors were not allowed to post video of the POV footage from practice, qualy or race runs. Redbull spends a ton of money on production, streaming and exclusive broadcast rights of the races. There was a huge uproar from the pro teams and they eventually came to a compromise as the teams POV footage on YouTube drove lots of traffic to the Redbull official broadcast and was good promotion for the sport in general. A win win.

This is probably more equal to a IMSA or WEC level event where there actually is a broadcast rights being purchased, then compared to a PCA Club race. If it's RA or PCA doing this for whatever reason, it's a incredibly short sighted way of controlling exposure to only what they want to be seen and actually stifles the promotion of events there, the sport and the track itself.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 04-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
If it's RA or PCA doing this for whatever reason, it's a incredibly short sighted way of controlling exposure to only what they want to be seen and actually stifles the promotion of events there and the sport.
It could have been a PCA Specific Region issue but it was explained to us that it was a track issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:29 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Everything would be fine until the sponsors got involved. Just look at F1 and you wonder why fan base is getting smaller every year.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I emailed a DE event owner that rents RA often, he does not have any limitations such as these in his contract.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I emailed a DE event owner that rents RA often, he does not have any limitations such as these in his contract.
I know of no other renter or organization not promoting pro racing events at Road Atlanta, and even some pro organizers, who stipulate this.

Frank, I’m quite sure this is a PCA initiative, one that (maybe, possibly) has this written into the contract with the Region. Super short sighted and very disappointing.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I hereby invite PCA / Michelin Road Atlanta to "track me down" for the crime of posting a video on Rennlist.
I consider it my inalienable right to share my boring videos with fellow racers.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Land O'Free

Originally Posted by PLNewman
I hereby invite PCA / Michelin Road Atlanta to "track me down" for the crime of posting a video on Rennlist.
I consider it my inalienable right to share my boring videos with fellow racers.

https://youtu.be/Fpg3k8HtW0A
Many thumbs up!!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Are we to assume you’re not too pleased with Will’s driving? None of that looked too egregious to me, although I guess it could’ve ended poorly had you or Bednarsh not been paying attention
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

That was awesome racing and more wheel to wheel excitement then the Chinese GP. Watching that makes me want to get my racing license even sooner, PCA Club race at Road Atlanta. Without your's and other racer's personal "unsanctioned" videos on YouTube, who not involved with racing or DE would know it even happened? This is called FREE grassroots marketing for PCA, RA, Michelin, Motul, Peach State Region etc.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 04-15-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I know of no other renter or organization not promoting pro racing events at Road Atlanta, and even some pro organizers, who stipulate this.

Frank, I’m quite sure this is a PCA initiative, one that (maybe, possibly) has this written into the contract with the Region. Super short sighted and very disappointing.
+1

And unenforceable
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Nice, Mike!
And if they "track you down", I hear Michael Avenatti is actively looking for new clients to "defend"
Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What’s Bowlsheet?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
What’s Bowlsheet?
Say it fast

Bull****
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I could halfway understand restricting live streaming of a pro spectator event, much like prohibiting recording at live performances, but club events? Has to be for incident related privacy/liability issues.

PS: I just watched PLNewman’s video. Guess that makes me guilty of collusion.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I would guess that this allows the club to ask posters to take down any photos or videos of carnage. They probably don't care about anything else.
Good point.
Easier still, it gives them teeth to ask YouTube or whomever to take it down for them. Then it's on whoever posted it to appeal, so on and so forth until one party just gives up.

One reason might be they want to minimize the impact of events that would reflect poorly on them, e.g. poor flagging, rude organizers, and bad drivers that should have been controlled. I think we can all agree how much of a circlejerk videos of this nature turn into.

On the other hand it may be an attempt to police the non-competitive untimed nature of HPDE events. Now that cameras and such are so inexpensive and common place there's a lot more people trying to "make it a race". it'll never be possible to prevent people from using them altogether, but if you can at least remove some of the motivation behind it (in theory), some people might be dissuaded.
edit: after re-reading it looks like this was actually a club race and not HPDE, so not applicable in this case.

Quick Reply: Land of the Free