Sponsored by:

Land of the Free

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Land of the Free

At the Friday morning driver meeting (in the rain) at Road Atlanta, PCA officials warned everyone that we were forbidden from posting videos on social media or YouTube. According to PCA, "If you do it, Road Atlanta will track you down." Not sure if this is new pressure being exerted by the name-sponsor Michelin or if this is just an inflated version of an unspoken track policy. It has always been considered bad form to post pictures or videos of someone else's crash (but not your own). But making a blanket statement that NO VIDEOS ARE ALLOWED at Road Atlanta feels strangely heavy-handed and absolutely unenforceable.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Agreed! Very strange and hence no Road Atlanta PCA Club Race Video thread. Looked like pretty good racing out there.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Can’t believe that. Porsche releases the street car record run and Michelin Road Atlanta shares it...

Sounds like the typical organizer warning not to post “bad” video’s with more than a little creative license to try and put some teeth into it.

All tracks I know like this promotion. Only when you get to broadcast rights do you run into legally enforceable unauthorized sharing of in car videos.

Look at SRO Blancpain and IMSA forms the drivers and entrants HAVE to sign.

Not the case here.

Lots of Trans Am videos from two weeks ago circulating.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

They were VERY specific that NO VIDEOS be posted. Drivers loudly grumbled and groaned. It took a while to get everyone calmed down. Of course, videos are already starting to appear on his site.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don' think that edict is enforceable in any way. In fact, if I was there and in the class with the pronouncement I would post my video. (I would probably be embarrassed by own driving more than anyone else would be of what I showed about their's ..…)

The PCA leadership used to be consistent, whether you agreed with their decisions or not; it was like institutional knowledge or core principles were being handed down. But over the last few years, it has gotten all over the place, in more ways than this. Don't get me going on it....
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Private parties are free to make video and image distribution restrictions if included in the rental agreement. If the rental agreement stipulated no videos it is enforceable.

Why would they do that? I don't know. But apparently they did.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Private parties are free to make video and image distribution restrictions if included in the rental agreement. If the rental agreement stipulated no videos it is enforceable.

Why would they do that? I don't know. But apparently they did.
It was noted in the registration material on clubregistration at the time of sign up.

Below is from the event policies page.

• I agree not to post or publish on any Social, Local or National Media in car video recordings or any type of on track data, collected/taken during this event without the expressed written consent of Porsche Club America, Peachstate Region, INC. and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
It was noted in the registration material on clubregistration at the time of sign up.
Which makes me believe it was a PCA led initiative. Whether written into the contract or not.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I would guess that this allows the club to ask posters to take down any photos or videos of carnage. They probably don't care about anything else.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Absurd
Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Which makes me believe it was a PCA led initiative. Whether written into the contract or not.
Um - no. Seems to be unique to this track under its new ownership.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
I would guess that this allows the club to ask posters to take down any photos or videos of carnage. They probably don't care about anything else.
Read my response above. This has nothing to do with PCA. It seems to be unique to this track.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Go ahead. Make my day. "Track me down"

What a bunch of pathetic macho bowlsheet
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Read my response above. This has nothing to do with PCA. It seems to be unique to this track.
Interesting, because I just texted with a friend who races with NASA at RA and there is no such stipulation in their agreements?

Edit:

I just went into my clubregistration previous events and there was a similar statement in 2018. "I agree not to post or publish on any Social, Local or National Media in car video recordings or any type of on track data, collected/ taken during this event without the expressed written consent of Porsche Club America, Peachstate Region, INC. And, Road Atlanta LLC."

This statement is not in the PCA race at Barber from 2018 (also run by the Peachstate Region). Thus, it would appear to be an RA thing!
Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have never seen this at any other track I volunteer or race with PCA. I was also surprised about the strong warning.

Quick Reply: Land of the Free