Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F1 Chinese Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

In one of the practices Brundle had a comment that was solid gold, in his perfect British dry sarcasm said with a slight smile after a short spot describing the helmet Vettel wears in size small, and about special paint jobs for the 1000th race, Brundle said "....that was quite an amazing revelation to just learn that Vettle's head fits in a size small helmet."

Seb's worst flaw is his emotions and lack of control of them. Remember a couple of years ago, "... blue flag...blue flag...he won't let me by!"? He wasn't faster, but in his head, he was.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have watched every Formula One race for 24 years now and I think I am ready to tap out. Last several years have been tough, competition is just not good enough. I have a real appreciation for the technical challenges these teams face and I am well aware that it is a very competitive series but that competition is taking place behind closed doors which is becoming a problem really. I would prefer more parity and driver focused competition. Even though I have been a Lewis Hamilton fan since he was a rookie at McLaren I am pretty tired of seeing him and his teammates run away from everyone else at nearly every race. I fell asleep twice during this race, rewound the DVR and turns out I missed nothing.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 AM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I have watched every Formula One race for 24 years now and I think I am ready to tap out. Last several years have been tough, competition is just not good enough. I have a real appreciation for the technical challenges these teams face and I am well aware that it is a very competitive series but that competition is taking place behind closed doors which is becoming a problem really. I would prefer more parity and driver focused competition. Even though I have been a Lewis Hamilton fan since he was a rookie at McLaren I am pretty tired of seeing him and his teammates run away from everyone else at nearly every race. I fell asleep twice during this race, rewound the DVR and turns out I missed nothing.
I understand
the only racing was for 7,8,9
Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

By the same token, Verstappen and Ocon crashed in similar circumstances.
I think it's ok to play it safe when a win is at stake.

Originally Posted by okie981
In one of the practices Brundle had a comment that was solid gold, in his perfect British dry sarcasm said with a slight smile after a short spot describing the helmet Vettel wears in size small, and about special paint jobs for the 1000th race, Brundle said "....that was quite an amazing revelation to just learn that Vettle's head fits in a size small helmet."

Seb's worst flaw is his emotions and lack of control of them. Remember a couple of years ago, "... blue flag...blue flag...he won't let me by!"? He wasn't faster, but in his head, he was.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Surely if you have been watching for 24 years you would realize that this has been a pretty good season so far. Don't you remember the worst era back in 90's when the cars had active suspensions? The race was over before the start. There was NO passing. Don't you remember the Schumacher years when he won almost every race? This past race wasn't too interesting but Bahrain was fantastic. I expect to see more races like that one. Ferrari is on the cusp of taking over at the top, if they would stop screwing themselves. The mid field races are the best. I hate the sound of the current cars but the racing is great. It's not MotoGP, but it's still pretty good.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:09 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Surely if you have been watching for 24 years you would realize that this has been a pretty good season so far. Don't you remember the worst era back in 90's when the cars had active suspensions? The race was over before the start. There was NO passing. Don't you remember the Schumacher years when he won almost every race? This past race wasn't too interesting but Bahrain was fantastic. I expect to see more races like that one. Ferrari is on the cusp of taking over at the top, if they would stop screwing themselves. The mid field races are the best. I hate the sound of the current cars but the racing is great. It's not MotoGP, but it's still pretty good.
I have every race from 91-92 all the way until DVR replaced VHS recorded and stored away on tape.
For a few years after that, I recorded them all on DVD.
Gave up on that when Massa left Ferrari for Williams. (was a Massa fan)
I'm as die hard an F1 fan as probably anybody here.

Years ago, I was a member of a global F1 forum called 'TurboNutter' out of Ireland.
Made internet acquaintances with people all over the globe.
Gifted a free trip and passes to winner of a points predicting contest I had there.
My son and I ended up picking up the winner (I had never met in person) from New Zealand in Plattsburg New York and took him to the Canadian and US GP Indy in two consecutive weekends.
We picked up another forum member from the UK who rode the second leg with us to Indy.

I guess I've been to 10 races.

Let's just say, I'm a fan....

From way back.

T
Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Agreed, boring race. Bahrain was great though. Would seem data shows that the Ferraris are clearly the fastest cars. Drivers and team....not so much?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
Agreed, boring race. Bahrain was great though. Would seem data shows that the Ferraris are clearly the fastest cars. Drivers and team....not so much?
Don't equate top speeds with fastest cars (lap times). That just means they choose to run lower downforce than the other teams. Look at Verstappen. He has a really low top speed, but was right there in lap times. Red Bull, and the master aerodynamicist Newey, go for downforce, aerodynamic efficiency, and handling over top speed. So they are faster in the corners, where the Ferraris are faster on the straights.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:16 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I have every race from 91-92 all the way until DVR replaced VHS recorded and stored away on tape.
For a few years after that, I recorded them all on DVD.
Gave up on that when Massa left Ferrari for Williams. (was a Massa fan)
I'm as die hard an F1 fan as probably anybody here.

T
I've watched every F1 race since 86. I didn't tape them all though! That's pretty die-hard. I have a few historic ones recorded. I only made it to one race at Montreal in 96. The sound was glorious. And the stopping distance was amazing. I was blown away at the latest China GP during qualifying where they were screaming down that back straight at 200mph and would brake at the 50 marker! That's insane. Your eyeballs must want to come out of your head.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I stopped watching practice this year and sit bored during the races. Qualifying is good, but for the races I'm finding myself working on the computer with it on in background. IndyCar and IMSA are both garnering more of my attention than F1 this year. Much better racing in those series.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I stopped watching practice this year and sit bored during the races. Qualifying is good, but for the races I'm finding myself working on the computer with it on in background. IndyCar and IMSA are both garnering more of my attention than F1 this year. Much better racing in those series.
Typically I don't watch practice, but for some reason I had time and watched it for this race. To be perfectly honest, the info during practice is very good with a lot of insight into what's going on. Ted Kravitz was in the booth for FP2 where he's typically in the pit lane and Brundle was walking around the track to different corners. Kravitz had a ton of little details on what was going on because he sees it happening in the pits, but only has a few seconds to actually speak on air. Wish they would do more of that. Anthony Davidson was the first to say that down force would be king this race and Ferrari's top speed didn't mean anything if they couldn't get the sector times from T2 to T12.

With regard to top speed, let's not forget that Williams sometimes tops those charts or have in the past because they have no DF.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

F1 this year is about as exciting to watch as a chess match. The strategies are interesting but the racing is boring.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Boring race but at least there were a few cool Porsches to look at...

Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Same here.
The Indy Car series is extremely exciting!
I've literally fallen asleep during some of the F1 races last year, and this year.

Quick Reply: 2019 F1 Chinese Grand Prix