Sponsored by:

GT2 RS+ Road Atlanta = 1:24.88

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bingo. The more experienced the racer, the more open their mind to whatever it takes to obtain the best performance....
And exactly why he drove in automatic mode!

My question is mostly about the technology and the programming. I think there is very little question that the technology exists and that Porsche is capable of programming these systems to create faster lap times no matter what the experience level of the driver, I just wonder if they did. Or in other words, where did they set the level of intervention?

I would assume that TC would be a benefit given the use of curbs at RA?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:01 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche has done such and amazing job programming the PDK to be fastest/best choice in Sport Plus Auto mode. i was blown away by how good it was and was definitely better than me choosing the gear with my fingers! conversely I drove a GTR on track a bunch of times (also a very fast track car but done totally differently) and that thing was in the wrong gear about 50% of the time if in auto mode; you HAD to shift it with the paddles unless you wanted it downshifting or upshifting at exactly the wrong instant half the time! it was crazy to me how wrong the auto mode in the GTR was compared to how right the Porsche was (kudos to Porsche!)

EDIT disclaimer: none of the 5 vehicles I own has an automatic trans, other than my Titan XD tow vehicle (Lotus Super Seven, Honda Civic EG Time Attack car, 90 C4 ZR-1, and 2018 Civic Type R)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

It was fun yesterday at VIR where I was able
to make a presentation on the data and video from both cars at that test. Randy was there and the overriding observation was how good the modern cars were from Porsche. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS+ Road Atlanta = 1:24.88