Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid and pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019 | 12:05 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Wow! That stuff is even more expensive/liter than Castrol SRF!
I use the Endless RF650, usually can find it for around $40 - which is cheaper than the castrol. I dont know why that is showing priced so high. And i love the Endless fluid. Never had any brake fade after two long hot summers track days. I always flush before each track event. Maybe not necessary, but I have never experienced fade and dont plan to do so......
Old 03-13-2019 | 02:04 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
What was the fluid brand that boiled? Did you check the moisture content?
no

[quote=Kitc2246] Really surprised if it was racing brake fluid if it were truly just six months old. [quote] ATE200, flushed and documented by a trusted dealer.

[quote=Kitc2246] Which car? [quote] 997.2S

[quote=Kitc2246] Did you take the pads down to a few mm? [quote] no - they were >10mm of friction material at this time. Did 6 more days with them before they were scrapped at <50%

[quote=Kitc2246] I can understand jumping to Motul 600 after your event. Have you thought about a moisture tester, $10 from Amazon. [quote] Nope. Happy with what I do. It may be overkill, but works

[quote=Kitc2246] You didn't indicate how much time between events. 500ml is a healthy bleed, but not a flush. Are you topping off the brake fluid after the 500ml with a fresh can? [quote]
1 month between events. Fresh 500ml can each time, hence at least 500ml. A full bleed is approx 1 liter. The main target is to move the one month old fluid from the reservoir and replace the fluid closest to the heat.

My ideas work for me, I'm happy and don't have issues.
Old 03-14-2019 | 01:26 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mglobe
Here's some information on brake fluid boiling points. First is a chart showing how Shell's various fluids react to water content. Second, a table of boiling points for various fluids.

I've superimposed on that the dry and wet boiling points of SRF, RBF600, and ATE200. Since I don't have access to how those fluids react between dry and "wet", I've just drawn straight lines. No doubt they likely curve just like the Shell fluids.

Wet is defined as 3.7% water, and the yellow line depicts that on the graph.

Cost per liter for the three fluids is:

SRF -- $60
RBF600 -- $34
ATE200 -- $17

If you figure in how frequently you will need to change each of these fluids (ie ATE much more often than RBF or SRF) the cost differential diminishes considerably. If you are flushing them at the same service interval ATE saves you $43 per flush. Given what you spend on tires, fuel, pads, registration fees, hotel room, meals,... not to mention your car, the differential is pretty small. Boiling your brake fluid is not a particularly fun thing to do.
Great analysis. Thanks for sharing! Aren’t there other reasons to bleed brake fluid other than water absorption though? Is keeping that discolored fluid that you see come out of the calipers ok with SRF?
Old 03-14-2019 | 09:08 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

The other thing I’ll mention has to do with the way you drive. You might be out braking other people on the track, which is excellent. But I’ve learned how to back off a bit, starting particularly on the lower speed turns by trail braking. It could mean the difference between boiling your fluid and not just by changing how you brake.
Old 03-14-2019 | 12:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default RF-650

On sale for $40 a can at Evasive Motorsports: https://www.evasivemotorsports.com//...Code=END-ZS010
Old 03-14-2019 | 01:40 PM
Digitalwave
AutoX

I use Motul 660, but I might give the SRF a try through FCP and get it replaced every time I flush.
Old 03-14-2019 | 01:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird

Great analysis. Thanks for sharing! Aren’t there other reasons to bleed brake fluid other than water absorption though? Is keeping that discolored fluid that you see come out of the calipers ok with SRF?
Good question and I wish I had a more educated answer on that. My opinion is that discolored has either been altered by heat, or contaminated by something and should be flushed.

Something to to keep in mind when looking at the graph I posted: the boundary between the fluid ok and consider flushing fluid is at about 190degc. Given the source for the chart, that is no doubt aimed at street driving. Track brake fluid temperatures will be considerably higher than street temps, and as a result you would need to flush more often.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid and pads