Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when in the braking zone to heal toe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I do not like using the engine for braking, so I will wait until the end of the braking zone and before the apex to heel/toe for the down shift. The heel/toe at the lower speed/rpm at the time of the shift is IMO not as critical to get the rev match just right. I am normally on the accelerator as soon as I finish the shift. What does West have to say, he is the best in the 951s that I know.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,477 Likes on 1,959 Posts

This issue usually works itself out with practice and time. As you feel more comfortable the heel/toe downshift starts happening where it needs to happen rather than early because of a lack of confidence.

When you are not getting back to gas, or coasting, after the downshift, that is a sign that you are on the right track.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the method depends on where your throttle is hinged (at least for me) so a top hinged throttle is good for heel toe and bottom hinged is good for sideways, big toe little toe, due to the leverage involved.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I think the method depends on where your throttle is hinged (at least for me) so a top hinged throttle is good for heel toe and bottom hinged is good for sideways, big toe little toe, due to the leverage involved.
This is true. I think some people feel boxed in to doing it with their heel (the blip) when in fact, it's often less of an ergonomic challenge to roll your ankle sideways and catch the throttle with the side of your shoe. YMMV.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-06-2019, 01:42 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I don't agree. Down shift while trail braking otherwise you are going to be doing some coasting. Take a look at this old video from Summit Point and watch brake and throttle lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBP3...ature=youtu.be
that looks nice and smooth because you are way down in rpm
Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is true. I think some people feel boxed in to doing it with their heel (the blip) when in fact, it's often less of an ergonomic challenge to roll your ankle sideways and catch the throttle with the side of your shoe. YMMV.
im pretty comfortable using my heel. Mainly learned that way so as to have full contact on the brake and not have my foot slide off. Just using my hd2 data I’m noticing that I’m not nearly as consistent on the brake as I think I am and probably can gain significant time by working on it.

Go data!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,477 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I used to have a wing on my pedal to roll my foot. Pro driver I work with constantly gave me $hit about having and said it increased the chances of hitting both the brake and gas when you only wanted the brake.

I told him it was necessary - that I couldn't heel/toe without it.

At the end of the day he tells me to look in my car. He had the mechanics remove it in the morning and I had been driving fine without it.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:28 PM
SmallJ92
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're proficient and smooth at downshifting I don't think it technically matters where you do your downshifting. Having said that, I do like to complete my downshifts before turning in if possible. Doing so gives me the option to transition to completing my braking with my left foot if I so choose.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with comments suggesting "End of the braking zone".

You want to downshift as early as is possible without over-revving the engine. Initial application to max pressure (as quickly as the chassis can handle) and immediate downshift, aiming to complete your shift before trailing in. It means you can give the throttle a big blip without worry that it will push you on when at low revs and allows you time to modulate the brake towards the end of the braking zone, plus you have both hands on the wheel before turning in.

Here's a good Pro example, the late Sean Edwards -
Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Right foot braker, too...
Old 03-20-2019, 12:09 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Right foot braker, too...
Indeed!

And if your memory is as good as I believe it is, I'm still a right foot braker!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I've always tried to get the downshifts done as early as possible (but making sure I never over-rev). Three benefits to early shifts include an easier time getting to a high initial pressure (easier to hit the brake hard when shifting IMO) and greater engine braking allowing for a more efficient brake zone. But the largest benefit to me is once the downshifting is done, you only have to focus on trailing off the brake and creating the most efficient corner entry possible. Consistency getting into the corner is needed for consistency exiting the corner, and that is a hell of a lot easier when you dont have to think about upcoming footwork!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:08 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
I disagree with comments suggesting "End of the braking zone".

You want to downshift as early as is possible without over-revving the engine. Initial application to max pressure (as quickly as the chassis can handle) and immediate downshift, aiming to complete your shift before trailing in. It means you can give the throttle a big blip without worry that it will push you on when at low revs and allows you time to modulate the brake towards the end of the braking zone, plus you have both hands on the wheel before turning in.

Here's a good Pro example, the late Sean Edwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-unzNFISsS4
Cool.

Did I miss something, or does he not use the clutch for upshifts.... sneaking a peak at work, so I don't have the volume up....
Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Originally Posted by petee_c
Cool.

Did I miss something, or does he not use the clutch for upshifts.... sneaking a peak at work, so I don't have the volume up....
Its a Holinger sequential with flat shift on the way up, so no need for the clutch.

Quick Reply: when in the braking zone to heal toe?