Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when in the braking zone to heal toe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:49 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default when in the braking zone to heal toe?

looking at my data from the last race, I'm leaving a lot of time on the table due to inconsistent braking while I heal toe. I'm an actual heal toe guy, meaning I "kick" the throttle with my heal vs roll the foot. The data shows that when I heal toe I let off of the brake pressure a bit, then usually back on the brake before back on the gas. I'm typically timing the heal to based on engine speed, but I'm wondering if I should delay the heal toe such that I could get back on the gas right after the shift has been completed.

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:01 PM
mobius911
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the generally accepted approach is to complete the heel/toe downshifts before turn-in. So if you are trail-braking you'll still be on the brake but easing off it after finishing your shift(s). If you leave the shifts to where you're ready to get back on the throttle you'll be doing it at or near the apex, which is not the best idea (there's a time lag, may upset the car, etc.).
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

You should be downshifting at the end of braking zone. There is a tendency in many people, including myself, to do the downshift at the start of the braking zone to "ensure I have enough time".

Your comment "then usually back on the brake before back on the gas", indicates to me you are performing the last downshift too early. Ideally, in a typical corner, you should either be going for the gas or perhaps trail braking into the corner. When I heel-toe, the only braking I apply after that is trail braking to rotate the car. I don't pay attention to engine speed at all if I know what gear is proper for the corner.

Proper heel-toe is also a lot easier at the end of the braking zone, both to execute and wear and tear on the driveline.

Also, with good heel-toe technique, you should be able to keep the same brake pressure. Practice, practice, practice and maybe even modify the pedals to suit your body mechanics.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2019, 03:00 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
You should be downshifting at the end of braking zone. There is a tendency in many people, including myself, to do the downshift at the start of the braking zone to "ensure I have enough time".

Your comment "then usually back on the brake before back on the gas", indicates to me you are performing the last downshift too early. Ideally, in a typical corner, you should either be going for the gas or perhaps trail braking into the corner. When I heel-toe, the only braking I apply after that is trail braking to rotate the car. I don't pay attention to engine speed at all if I know what gear is proper for the corner.

Proper heel-toe is also a lot easier at the end of the braking zone, both to execute and wear and tear on the driveline.

Also, with good heel-toe technique, you should be able to keep the same brake pressure. Practice, practice, practice and maybe even modify the pedals to suit your body mechanics.

-Mike
+1. Near the end. With enough practice, you can definitely do a trail braking heel toe down shift and not upset the car. [Or just get an auto-blip / double clutch car and drive with 2 feet everywhere.]

-td
Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't agree. Down shift while trail braking otherwise you are going to be doing some coasting. Take a look at this old video from Summit Point and watch brake and throttle lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBP3...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-04-2019, 04:59 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I don't agree. Down shift while trail braking otherwise you are going to be doing some coasting. Take a look at this old video from Summit Point and watch brake and throttle lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBP3...ature=youtu.be
I think it depends. Lime Rock corner 1, a slow corner, is trail braking and down shifting from 5 to 3 at first apex. At Watkins Glen corner one, a faster corner, is down shift before turn in and trailer brake, lifting after turn in.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:32 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

More than anything - I just want you to use the right spelling of "heel".....
Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
I thought he was asking where in the brake zone is the best place to heal his toes.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

This.

Also, to the OP, the inconsistent brake pressure during heel and toe (which often shows up on data traces as a double or triple spike brake curve) can be challenging to self-correct, but can pay huge dividends in lap times and race craft.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
[Or just get an auto-blip / double clutch car and drive with 2 feet everywhere.]

-td
thems fighting words!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:53 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

lol, I suck at words
Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This.

Also, to the OP, the inconsistent brake pressure during heel and toe (which often shows up on data traces as a double or triple spike brake curve) can be challenging to self-correct, but can pay huge dividends in lap times and race craft.
so, focus on just getting smoother while HEEL toeing vs optimizing when to do it?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
so, focus on just getting smoother while HEEL toeing vs optimizing when to do it?
Prioritize the braking pressure (deceleration rate) consistency over how tidy the blip is...
Old 03-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Prioritize the braking pressure (deceleration rate) consistency over how tidy the blip is...
This

And in doing so, usually the "where" takes care of itself
Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

in a 944 Especially with aftermarket pedals or modification, it is much easier to heel and toe without using the heel but top of pedal (little toe and big toe) imo.
For my old 993 I used proper heel and toe but for the 944 you have much better control (of the throttle blip under braking) using the tops of the pedals. Perhaps that is why you are having difficulty?

Quick Reply: when in the braking zone to heal toe?