Bit the bullet on Isaac Head restraint

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit the bullet on Isaac Head restraint

Well, after much reading and talking, I went w/ an Isaac device(along w/ 3 other CVR members. Just came back form "the fitting". Actually just sitting in my car and having the Helmet marked for proper fastening.
Hope it works correctly, if I should need it!
1st test-Sebring!
Bill
Old 02-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Al P.
Pro

1st test-Sebring!
Do Not test this, wear it, enjoy it but do not test it to see how well it restrains your helmet in a crash.... in other words have a safe race
Old 02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you use the bolts or adhesive for the helmet cleats? I'm curious to hear how the adhesive works. My bolt on cleats weren't radiused for the the helmet, so I'm wondering how an adhesive would work over an uneven contact area...
Brandon
Old 02-05-2004, 04:10 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Al P, Yes safety is the object. Thanks
BrandonH, We used the Aircraft Super adheshive(very serious looking stuff), The procedure is to get down to the very beginning of the base material(no more). They (my Tech) used a Dremmel tool after the area was masked off. The process levels it, but not totally, the adhesive fills in the small space/s. They claim it has the stength for the unit to do it's job.
It needs Min. 24 hr curing time, and I won't see the Helmet again till Sebring next week. Sooooooo...stay tuned.
Bill
Old 02-06-2004, 05:01 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'm curious to see this device in person. I will be at Sebring next week. I actually just got the HANS device because last month at Sebring, I asked the EMT's if they were aware of the Isaacs head restraint device and they weren't. It would probably be a good idea to educate these folks about it.

Bill, I'll try to find you. Will you be racing or DE?

Mitch
Old 02-06-2004, 05:59 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mitch, Look forward to meeting you and showing the Isaac. It's so simple a child could release me! That in it self had us pondering it's viability. 2-push pins ( one on each side, similar to those used on a Sport Fishermans' Outriggers) that you press the center and pull the aircraft pins out.
My G. Red 964 is #174 and will be under the tarp of RED CUP RACING trailer w/ Hairy Dog Garrrage sticker across the windsheild! I don't know exactly where it'll be parked, as this will be my 1st DE @ Sebring.
In case anyone's interested(NO affiliation!) www.isaac.com
Bill
Old 02-06-2004, 06:08 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Woops! www.isaacdirect.com
Bill
Old 02-07-2004, 12:42 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,
I have been looking at the Isaac also. Let us know what you think. I want to make a move before the TWS CR in March. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:46 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm just curious here...

You are gluing the helmet mounts for the Isaac onto the helmet instead of drilling the helmet and "mounting" the helmet mounts?

I'm certainly not questioning your installation, but if your helmet is fiberglass/kevlar composition (which most are), I'm thinking that the glue may hold up fine, but if you are in an accident that exerts enough force on the helmet, then your mount may be pulled away from the helmet????

Maybe I'm overthinking this?

It would seem to me that drilling/mounting would work better? (but then again what do I know)

Is gluing a method that the Isaac manufacturer endorses?

I'm just curious, that's all. I'm certainly not saying one way is better than they other, but it just "seems" like drilling/mounting would be better.

Brian
Old 02-07-2004, 01:13 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by BrianKeithSmith
Is gluing a method that the Isaac manufacturer endorses?
Yes. They sell a kit with a two part adhesive that they've tested with the device.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:52 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, appreciate your concern, and the adhesive was a large concern as much as the type of HR itself.
Isaac, repeated the same SAE tests(see web site) with the adhesive, which is quite high tech stuff, w/ same results. Isaac is also the seller of the time sensitive adhesive. The bolt thru method brought at least as many questions with overall integerty of the helment.
We paid and got the SAE reports.
That's all we need.....a scandel at the SAE for fudging tests! Who ya gonna trust these days???
The ease of the whole system won us over. I too hope I made the correct decision.
Bill
Old 02-07-2004, 02:54 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I talked with one of the engineers at Isaac about the glue vs bolt issue. He said both are effective. I personally will probably go with the bolt as it is easier to do with high confidence (it's either mounted or it's not). With glue, you could get an air gap, ... so since I am not a glue expert but I can handle a drill ... bolt it is for me. When they did failure tests on the glued system, it pulled the helmet appart (the glue joint was stronger than the helmet).

I also have pricing on a group but and I will be posting on Monday. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:37 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colorchange, I/We, all tried a group buy, even my P-car shop man, and we had no luck. Tried from quantities of 3 to a dozen. Maybe not enough?? Mentioning that my CVR region has Lots of drivers and how many may be influenced... did'nt seem to faze 'em.
FWIW CVR is placing heavy influence on Safety Upgrades, from simple & proper harness bars for muti-belt restraints to bolt in roll bars and full cages this season. I see the more experianced drivers starting to make heavy tech custom seats and head restarints investments. In this sport, I don't mind being the monkey as in Monkey see-Monkey do.
Would be interested how you make out, there's a lot more Rennlisters out there!
Oh, we did get the adhesive(w/ current experation date) ...half price!
Bill
Old 02-07-2004, 04:24 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to see more pictures of the LAMBO!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:20 AM
John Brown
Instructor

I'd bet that if pressed the engineer would tell us the glue joint is stronger than the bolted. Like a weld.

If you travel much you might be interested to know that lots of arirplane pieces are 'glued' together, not riveted.

Quick Reply: Bit the bullet on Isaac Head restraint