Suggestions needed for Video and Timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga

Awesome, Thank you for that clarification!! Exactly info was looking for
Matt set up the Camera and Solo for me before he shipped it to me. All the overlaid data I wanted was already there so I didn't have to do a thing. Once I became more familiar with the unit itself, I started playing around with the settings and adding things to the video (overlaid data).
Next season I will work on data itself, but you and I were looking for exactly the same thing. That's what I got. Matt set it all up before I even got the unit. Once I got the Solo and SC, all it was pretty much was plug and play. I am not a very tech oriented guy, that's why I had Matt set it all up. I told him what data I wanted overlaid on the videos, and he took care of it. I did nothing but have my indy wire the unit into my car. Perfect and easy. Just what I was looking for.
I have no experience with the VBox so i can't speak to that. I can only speak to the ease of use of the Aim and SCHD and how happy I am with it.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Very helpful! 1st shot is what I am looking for, not ready to read charts. Thank you
Sounds like a Smartycam is what you want. BTW - Here is a screen shot from the VBOX lap to lap comparison that is extremely hard to do with AIM:

Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Sounds like a Smartycam is what you want. BTW - Here is a screen shot from the VBOX lap to lap comparison that is extremely hard to do with AIM:
Not possible in AiM's software, but very easy with www.comparemylaps.com which will do something no other software will do. Sync and compare any two videos regardless of data source. Download video from FB, YouTube, CBS Sports, or your own camera and then compare them. If it's a SCHD file and you keep the log files, it will automatically set the lap numbers and make things very easy. The image below took me less than 30 seconds including opening the software.

If someone uses video and doesn't make use of this software, they are missing a key tool in their arsenal.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Not possible in AiM's software, but very easy with www.comparemylaps.com which will do something no other software will do. Sync and compare any two videos regardless of data source. Download video from FB, YouTube, CBS Sports, or your own camera and then compare them. If it's a SCHD file and you keep the log files, it will automatically set the lap numbers and make things very easy. The image below took me less than 30 seconds including opening the software.

If someone uses video and doesn't make use of this software, they are missing a key tool in their arsenal.
Sweet. Now I have an Arsenal. Sweet.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I think if you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I'm not debating the best system or what works for an individual. Of course different systems work for different folks...

<snip>

I had other stuff written, but it seems you keep editing you're post?
Yep, I keep adding!

In my experience, most folks can really benefit from information-laden video. The OP says that’s what he’s looking for, not lines or graphs. I think that’s a good plan.

Both the SmartyCam and the VBOX are among the least expensive systems that can write information real time to the video, such that you can play it back with information on the video right away.

Unfortunately, the target budget for this is $1K or less, which eliminates the S2DL- SCHD combo and the VBOX Lite.

Fortunately, there are used cameras and systems that come up every so often that may squeak under the OP’s budget.

Bottom line is both of the VBOX and the SmartyCam make videos that can be played on any laptop, without any analysis software, so you can see what you’ve just done.

That’s ninety percent of the battle, auditing your own performance. Then picking ONE thing to improve.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:16 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I will be hunting a used set over the next two months. Looks like I can get an OBD plug to use, which would be prefered as this is a DD and not a track car so less intrusive the better. I guess last issue is that of mounting. Looks like that was touched on earlier in the thread. I will not be putting a cage in this car, so will need to mount to a window. There is no way to mount to a front windshield? The targa glass comes forward pretty far, so I guess I could mount back there if had to and that is possible.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I will be hunting a used set over the next two months. Looks like I can get an OBD plug to use, which would be prefered as this is a DD and not a track car so less intrusive the better. I guess last issue is that of mounting. Looks like that was touched on earlier in the thread. I will not be putting a cage in this car, so will need to mount to a window. There is no way to mount to a front windshield? The targa glass comes forward pretty far, so I guess I could mount back there if had to and that is possible.
You can suction mount to the front windshield, sunroof, or use one of the headrest camera mounts. Lots of options.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:23 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

You can suction mount to the front windshield, sunroof, or use one of the headrest camera mounts. Lots of options.
Perfect
Old 12-24-2018, 05:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The benefit of the rearward mounting is that you can see your head and your hands. Pretty valuable information, if you can do it that way.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:17 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

From my earlier questions, will an Aim Solo DL (not version 2) serve my main focus of getting data overlaid onto smarty cam HD video. Outside of the predictive lap and Wifi download from the Solo, will I have everything I need? Same data?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

From my earlier questions, will an Aim Solo DL (not version 2) serve my main focus of getting data overlaid onto smarty cam HD video. Outside of the predictive lap and Wifi download from the Solo, will I have everything I need? Same data?
simple answer? Yes, if connected to an Aim Smartycam.
speed, lap time, long/lat acceleration, track map, and if connected to your cars ECU, RPM and whatever outputs the ECU will give you. Just no external sensor inputs

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NaroEscape

simple answer? Yes, if connected to an Aim Smartycam.
speed, lap time, long/lat acceleration, track map, and if connected to your cars ECU, RPM and whatever outputs the ECU will give you. Just no external sensor inputs
Thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And you'll have predictive timing on the Solo DL, just not the LED lights.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes.

Quick Reply: Suggestions needed for Video and Timing