Suggestions needed for Video and Timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripp993
I have a aim solo and have used the smarty cam but after seeing the VBOX I was sold! I have just purchased my new VBOX and love it. The support is amazing, it's quick to look up data in between secessions and can overlay 6 different laps at the same time. I'm still figuring it out but I would pay double the money to have a VBOX over AIM. The only thing I like better about the AIM is how the predictive lap timer and current lap time read on my AIM SOLO display unit so I'm actually still running it along with the Race Logic HD VBOX 2 camera system.
About 90% of the 125 or so Video VBOX HD2 systems I’ve sold since the system came out in June of 2016 include the OLED Predictive Lap Time display as part of a reduced price (from buying as an accessory later) bundle. This shows predictive in a bar graph with a + or - number AND is user configurable for how long you want the lap time to display on the OLED every time you cross the start finish line.

VBOx, AiM, MoTeC and Autosport Labs, as well as the Porsche Precision Track App (as well as HLT) all show this information, which is particularly valuable for determining WHAT WORKS, in a targeted, single objective session covering a corner or complex of corners. One of the best tools for gauging improvement (or not.)

AiM’s recent introduction of predictive timing LED’s on the Solo 2/Solo 2 DL and the v1.2 display loggers is a great feature, too. I set these up before I send each of these units out to a range I think drivers should shoot for. Both by position and color can you now tell your progress.

Still, the cumbersome workflow of first, reviewing the “done” video produced by the AiM SmartyCam to review the quickest lap, then separately downloading the data, arranging it and, without a fairly extensive amount of experience, study or the assistance of other, more experienced users or professionals, trying to come up with ONE or TWO things to do NEXT session is challenging. It’ll be easier when someday AiM allows what every other system does, including the pacesetter VBOX (the simultaneous and automatically synced display of video and data, or better yet, side by side comparison of video AND data in overlay), but that’s some time away. It will, hopefully, be backwards compatible to AiM equipment sold now, which is what they’ve said all along.

I think you can’t go wrong with either (AiM or VBOX) system in terms of interface with modern cars, collecting video and data so you can review what you did in the car and determining what was different about what you did versus what you THOUGHT you did, and making new goals based on that. Both are rugged, automated and will be current for some time.

I’ve had about a dozen people go from AiM to VBOX because of the ease-of-use benefit and had one go back to AiM from VBOX due to smaller and more compact packaging, but the bottom line is that sales and use of these technology tools for drivers who do this more than two or three times a year has exploded.

It’s a great time...
Old 12-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 798 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Still, the cumbersome workflow of first, reviewing the “done” video produced by the AiM SmartyCam to review the quickest lap, then separately downloading the data, arranging it and, without a fairly extensive amount of experience, study or the assistance of other, more experienced users or professionals, trying to come up with ONE or TWO things to do NEXT session is challenging. It’ll be easier when someday AiM allows what every other system does, including the pacesetter VBOX (the simultaneous and automatically synced display of video and data, or better yet, side by side comparison of video AND data in overlay), but that’s some time away. It will, hopefully, be backwards compatible to AiM equipment sold now, which is what they’ve said all along.

I would not say this is accurate at all and really a scare tactic. Unless you want to accuse the folks at AiM of lying to all of their dealers and users, there is no reason to believe that the video and data integration will not work with the current devices such as the Solo 2 DL, MXm, Evo4s, Evo, MXL2, MXS, MXG, MXS 1.2, MXG 1.2, and MXP along with all variations of the SCHD. Further, I'd say that if you had attended PRI, you could have sat down and seen Race Studio 3 Analysis, it's data integration, new features, and had input on them. In seeing the software, you would have seen the video and data integration, understood how it can be done on time, distance, or position across one or many tests.

I won't go into the part of the workflow being hard. If looking at the last lap to see which is fastest and then going to that lap is too hard, then.......I'd help my customer with their computer skills. I've got my 6 year old to do it, so I'm sure I can teach anyone here. If not, I'd give them their money back if they weren't happy, but that's just me.

So, IMHO, to say something like "It will, hopefully, be backwards compatible to AiM equipment sold now, which is what they’ve said all along." is either completely dis-ingenuous or out of ignorance. There is no reason to hope, they have said it will be done and showed it.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely give Matt a call. I purchased an AIM Solo II DL from him and it's really hard to put into words how much it helped me improve my lap times and fundamentally understand what was going on with the car and my inputs, in particular my braking and mid-corner speeds. It gave me an additional perspective that I previously was not seeing using my lousy cell phone, and provided immediate intra-lap feedback that was invaluable due to the predictive display. Probably the most important thing it did was identify areas of misteps and errors that were occurring that allowed me to drastically improve consistency from one lap to the next and understand not just the "what" and "how", but the "why". Additionally, Matt provided an extremely high level of professional level support of the product to me personally, well beyond what I was expecting and anticipating. The guy knows his ****, and I quite literally "live" at the track and interact with all levels of drivers and racers. I literally dropped a full second off my best time at WGI (1:58) from just a few suggestions from Matt after reviewing my data which led me to winning First place at the last WGI NASA Time Trial race this year in an unlimited class (twice) and set the fastest single lap of the weekend, which won me a full set of (4) Hoosiers - meaning the device paid for itself immediately. And this was all done without a proper video recording device.

Speaking of which, Matt, I need a proper video recording device.

Anthony
2007 Corvette Z06 #50
Old 12-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Tripp993
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

About 90% of the 125 or so Video VBOX HD2 systems I’ve sold since the system came out in June of 2016 include the OLED Predictive Lap Time display as part of a reduced price (from buying as an accessory later) bundle. This shows predictive in a bar graph with a + or - number AND is user configurable for how long you want the lap time to display on the OLED every time you cross the start finish line.

VBOx, AiM, MoTeC and Autosport Labs, as well as the Porsche Precision Track App (as well as HLT) all show this information, which is particularly valuable for determining WHAT WORKS, in a targeted, single objective session covering a corner or complex of corners. One of the best tools for gauging improvement (or not.)

AiM’s recent introduction of predictive timing LED’s on the Solo 2/Solo 2 DL and the v1.2 display loggers is a great feature, too. I set these up before I send each of these units out to a range I think drivers should shoot for. Both by position and color can you now tell your progress.

I think you can’t go wrong with either (AiM or VBOX) system in terms of interface with modern cars, collecting video and data so you can review what you did in the car and determining what was different about what you did versus what you THOUGHT you did, and making new goals based on that. Both are rugged, automated and will be current for some time.

I’ve had about a dozen people go from AiM to VBOX because of the ease-of-use benefit and had one go back to AiM from VBOX due to smaller and more compact packaging, but the bottom line is that sales and use of these technology tools for drivers who do this more than two or three times a year has exploded.

It’s a great time...
When purchasing my VBOX I looked at the OLED predictive but the only things I didn't like about it were that I wanted to see an actual predicted lap time that way I knew where I was based on all of my laps rather than + or - from last lap and I also like seeing a over/under view of last lap time and predicted at the same time. Since my car is an older car with no OBDII I only purchased the basic solo but have since installed a Motec ECU and connected the VBOX to it. Both the solo display and OLED are great tools I was just used to solo display.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 497 Posts

As an active user of both systems I can say that the VBOX system is a much better solution for the visual learner than AIM. AIM is indeed EXTREMELY cumbersome when you have to synch data with video to find your fastest lap and it takes quite a while when you are looking to compare video of two different laps side by side. I have been waiting for AIM Race Studio video capability for years.

Once you become familiar with race studio and are primarily data focused AIM is a great platform plus it is easily expandable to your needs. I run both systems in both of my cars.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Matt, as fellow AiM dealers that offer exceptional customer service and many, many satisfied customers across Rennlist and elsewhere, I think you’re being a little touchy.

AiM does not have that feature now, and has been promising that for as many years as RS3 has been out. Hopefully, we’ll all see it in the field this year... I sold over $360K of AiM this year, and it is the most popular seller of all the brands I carry, as it has been for the last eight years I’ve been a dealer.

The workflow is what it is. You can watch the video, and that’s all you can do with it. You can review the data, and for those who have time to parse sectors and arrange profiles, that’s useful and valuable but it is time consuming. It’s still two separate downloads, two separate file handling requirements and it’s not currently coordinated. That’s not my opinion, it’s just a fact.

As a full-time professional coach, having been one for more than a decade (before it was a “thing”), my clients look to me to provide a quick distillation, an efficient and highly targeted direction of their best opportunity for improvement, all without adding risk.

To do this at PCA Club Racing and other events where turnaround time is extremely limited, the best tool I have at my disposal, one that allows me to collaboratively share what I’m seeing, why we see what we see together, I ALWAYS install a VBOX in client cars, as do a few other pro coaches I know. Good just for redundancy. It’s easy to use, works well and people can coach themselves and compare even more easily their own performance to pros in their cars and to others. There’s a reason why Porsche uses it for NRing record runs and SuperCup throughout the rest of the world.

This is not a debate on which system is better. I learned a long time ago that different people assimilate information differently, that no one system offers every feature that is the killer app of each one and that ease of use, especially for people who are doing this as a hobby, is paramount for getting value out of these investments.

In the end, it’s about how users of these systems can learn how to coach themselves using this crop of equipment, something you and I help with all the time, because we believe the tech can help people do that.

I also feel that as a dealer of many different industry leading brands, the needs of the person that buys can be better met after a frank and open discussion of the pros and cons of each. And to do that, you need to work with them all every day...

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:32 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

So I guess I wonder, what is smart about the smarty cam if you still need to merge the data together? If you have for instance the smarty cam and the Aim Solo 2 Dl does any data embed automatically to smarty cam video for review? If so, which data? For me I want a solution that I can pull a single sd card out, put it in computer, open it up and view. I dont need all the charts and lines of data right now. Just a video with key data embeded that is quick to access. I said I would call one of you after christmas, but seeing as the thread continues to progress, wanted to throw that question out there on it. May be useful to next person as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would not say this is accurate at all and really a scare tactic. Unless you want to accuse the folks at AiM of lying to all of their dealers and users, there is no reason to believe that the video and data integration will not work with the current devices such as the Solo 2 DL, MXm, Evo4s, Evo, MXL2, MXS, MXG, MXS 1.2, MXG 1.2, and MXP along with all variations of the SCHD. Further, I'd say that if you had attended PRI, you could have sat down and seen Race Studio 3 Analysis, it's data integration, new features, and had input on them. In seeing the software, you would have seen the video and data integration, understood how it can be done on time, distance, or position across one or many tests.

I won't go into the part of the workflow being hard. If looking at the last lap to see which is fastest and then going to that lap is too hard, then.......I'd ho
So, IMHO, to say something like "It will, hopefully, be backwards compatible to AiM equipment sold now, which is what they’ve said all along." is either completely ingenuous or out of ignorance. There is no reason to hope, they have said it will be done and showed it.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
So I guess I wonder, what is smart about the smarty cam if you still need to merge the data together? You don't. It's all right there in the video. It's set up to embed and overlay whatever you want it to.

If you have for instance the smarty cam and the Aim Solo 2 Dl does any data embed automatically to smarty cam video for review? Yes.

If so, which data? Speed, G's, throttle, brake, gears, rpm's, all of it.

For me I want a solution that I can pull a single sd card out, put it in computer, open it up and view. That's what my Aim and SCHD do for me. Exactly that. I view the video and overlaid dta between sessions all the time. It's not rocket science. Pull card from SC. Put card in computer. View. Again, not rocket science. if i can do it, anyone can do it.

I dont need all the charts and lines of data right now. Just a video with key data embeded that is quick to access. That's exactly what you'll get.

I said I would call one of you after christmas, but seeing as the thread continues to progress, wanted to throw that question out there on it. May be useful to next person as well.
See bold answers above.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:14 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
See bold answers above.
Awesome, Thank you for that clarification!! Exactly info was looking for
Old 12-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
So I guess I wonder, what is smart about the smarty cam if you still need to merge the data together? If you have for instance the smarty cam and the Aim Solo 2 Dl does any data embed automatically to smarty cam video for review? If so, which data? For me I want a solution that I can pull a single sd card out, put it in computer, open it up and view. I dont need all the charts and lines of data right now. Just a video with key data embeded that is quick to access. I said I would call one of you after christmas, but seeing as the thread continues to progress, wanted to throw that question out there on it. May be useful to next person as well.
Here is a comparison:

SmartyCam, connected to AIM MXL and various sensors. You can get everything except for the sensors Brake, Throttle and RPM data by simply adding an antenna to the SmartyCam itself.

VBOX output that allows you to compare car position between laps and two cameras are standard:

Old 12-24-2018, 03:17 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Here is a comparison:

SmartyCam, connected to AIM MXL and various sensors. You can get everything except for the sensors Brake, Throttle and RPM data by simply adding an antenna to the SmartyCam itself.

VBOX output that allows you to compare car position between laps and two cameras are standard:

Very helpful! 1st shot is what I am looking for, not ready to read charts. Thank you
Old 12-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

AiM does not have that feature now, and has been promising that for as many years as RS3 has been out. Hopefully, we’ll all see it in the field this year... I sold over $360K of AiM this year, and it is the most popular seller of all the brands I carry, as it has been for the last eight years I’ve been a dealer.

The workflow is what it is. You can watch the video, and that’s all you can do with it. You can review the data, and for those who have time to parse sectors and arrange profiles, that’s useful and valuable but it is time consuming. It’s still two separate downloads, two separate file handling requirements and it’s not currently coordinated. That’s not my opinion, it’s just a fact.
This is not a debate on which system is better. I learned a long time ago that different people assimilate information differently, that no one system offers every feature that is the killer app of each one and that ease of use, especially for people who are doing this as a hobby, is paramount for getting value out of these investments.
I think if you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I'm not debating the best system or what works for an individual. Of course different systems work for different folks, that's why there are multiple successful business that produce data systems. My issue was with the quoted language where you are implying that AiM won't do allow video integration with the data using their current crop of products. Maybe you made a mistake with your language or had a poor choice or words, but it's what you wrote - maybe not what you meant. I don't think anyone would argue that we've been waiting for the video integration in RS3 for a long time, but it's out of our control. As you know, there were a number of other projects that AiM took on that put the software on a temporary slowdown. While painful for the short term, they make AiM, it's users, the software and firmware, and the capabilities better, stronger, and more robust in the long term.

Towards the use of the products and software: yes - you have to set up profiles and track sectors once. Does it take some time? Yes. How does it compare to other products? About the same. And no need to buy scenes, product upgrades, or anything else. It's also something that many dealers teach and support their customers in doing. For people following along, here's a great video on how to set up the sectors and what you can do with the info from them.
I would argue (and have) that data is far faster to analyze than video, but we can continue to disagree on that and work in our own ways.

I'm glad you had a great year. I did too. I had other stuff written, but it seems you keep editing you're post?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:25 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Frank's comparison is great. My screen looks very different, but you get the idea.

I am using the new Aim Solo DL 2 with the new SCHD. I actually download the videos and overlaid data without taking the sd card out of the camera. Bluetooth and Wifi are great things.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Frank's comparison is great. My screen looks very different, but you get the idea.

I am using the new Aim Solo DL 2 with the new SCHD. I actually download the videos and overlaid data without taking the sd card out of the camera. Bluetooth and Wifi are great things.

Quick Reply: Suggestions needed for Video and Timing