Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Suggestions needed for Video and Timing (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1120110-suggestions-needed-for-video-and-timing.html)

JSETarga 12-22-2018 11:38 PM

Suggestions needed for Video and Timing

I am fairly new to tracking and have done 3 events in the past year. These have been done in a 16 ATS-V and a 16 Z06. I moved on to a 17 Targa GTS in September and just scheduled a couple track days for 2019. The 2 previous cars had video with track overlay lap timer, throttle, breaking, g force and more meters built into the car. This was great for reviewing between sessions and I would like to accomplish something similar without costing too much. I intend to do 3 events per year. I am not much for the idea of mounting my phone to the windshiled, however, I will consider it, if other options are cost prohibitive. I would appreciate ideas of how to set this up and what type of data I will get for each method. I do not expect to get all of the data I got with GMs PDR, but video, track overlay and speed at a minimum. Then g force, accel and braking I am very hopeful for. Thanks in advance.

stujelly 12-22-2018 11:55 PM

check out race keeper.

good video and data, easy to down load.

I have a green box race keeper set up for sale that came out of my gt3 rs I would almost give away at 400 bucks.

dgrobs 12-23-2018 12:14 AM

Expensive, but the Aim SoLo 2 and SCHD work great for me. Not the cheapest way to go though.

Everything you are asking for.

Of course, there's Harry's, but that's gonna require the phone to the windshield.

Matt Romanowski has good info on this Aim setup, general stuff in this area,(and plenty of other areas as well)

Ping Him here at RL.....

NaroEscape 12-23-2018 01:46 AM

JSETarga
as noted, the AiM Solo2 DL with a Smartycam is a great solution for what your doing. No, not cheap but a great package that we’ve sold a lot of for exactly your application. There are other options too.
I’m “relatively” close to you in Charlotte. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Matt Romanowski 12-23-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15516086)
Expensive, but the Aim SoLo 2 and SCHD work great for me. Not the cheapest way to go though.

Everything you are asking for.

Of course, there's Harry's, but that's gonna require the phone to the windshield.

Matt Romanowski has good info on this Aim setup, general stuff in this area,(and plenty of other areas as well)

Ping Him here at RL.....

Thanks for the kind words! I must have taught you well since that is the setup I'd suggest.

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15516032)
I would appreciate ideas of how to set this up and what type of data I will get for each method. I do not expect to get all of the data I got with GMs PDR, but video, track overlay and speed at a minimum. Then g force, accel and braking I am very hopeful for. Thanks in advance.

Like the other guys have said, AiM Solo 2 DL and a SCHD. It's 4 wires to the car and 1 wire between the camera and S2DL. Suction mounts in the windshield for the S2DL and roll bar or other mount for the camera.

Bob, Peter, Jerry, or myself are all dealers that support folks in this forum a lot.

ProCoach 12-23-2018 09:32 AM

You'll get a whole bunch of suggestions, and there are several really good options now, some that are easier to use than others.

As Bob and Matt said, the Solo 2 DL and SmartyCam HD combination from AiM Sports is well built, sold, supported and used widely and right at the sweet spot in value for the money. Typically, about $1778 for everything with all mounts.

The benefit of buying from me, Matt or Bob, all Rennlist sponsors and experienced AiM dealers, is that we will set it up for your specific application so it's as plug and play as possible. And these systems DO need that kind of support, not only to shorten the learning curve, but to help you get benefit out of the system right away. We've all used them extensively in the field and that helps as a resource, too.

Race-Keeper has sold a neat, multi camera system, first in standard definition video, now in HD, for many years. I'm a dealer, but I can't recommend it. The primary support staff that is so vital to this technology for the last decade has left and product development isn't proceeding.

Racelogic's Video VBOX HD2 is the most popular side-by-side, data-on-video, ONE-box solution out right now. There are quite a few Rennlisters equipped with this because it's easier to get information on what to do next session in the car to improve than with the other systems, in my experience. ShakeNBake's review of the Video VBOX HD2 thread in the Data Acquisition sub-forum here is EPIC! Everyone considering the purchase of these tools should take some time and read it.

There are other options like the MoTeC V2 and more, but between the AiM combination from any of the dealers here on Rennlist and the Video VBOX HD2, you'll be set for years to come!

Merry Christmas, and enjoy your new car!

MarcD147 12-23-2018 10:22 AM

If your car has the right options you might be able to use the Porsche track precision iPhone application

It has full data/video overlays.

Frank 993 C4S 12-23-2018 10:57 AM

I am a big fan of the VBox due to its simplicity and two camera system, but that’s at least $1,500. For about $950 you can get an AIM Smartycam, which will give you speed and Gs. https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...v2.1/index.htm. Both systems have terrific resale value.

JSETarga 12-23-2018 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S (Post 15516606)
I am a big fan of the VBox due to its simplicity and two camera system, but that’s at least $1,500. For about $950 you can get an AIM Smartycam, which will give you speed and Gs. https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...v2.1/index.htm. Both systems have terrific resale value.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far and hope they keep coming. I am particularly drawn to this one as I would like to keep under 1k if possible. I am going to research each of the options posted so far though. Does anyone else have specific experience with the AIM smarty cam?

JSETarga 12-23-2018 11:34 AM

To confirm, are yall saying with smarty cam I will get speed, Gs and lap times as a stand alone not connecting to car? Then if I add the Aim Solo I will get other data by connecting to car I assume? These are all new names and systems to me so just want to make sure I am following correctly.

Thanks

ProCoach 12-23-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S (Post 15516606)
For about $950 you can get an AIM Smartycam, which will give you speed and Gs. https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...v2.1/index.htm. Both systems have terrific resale value.

Two minor corrections. The SmartyCam HD rev2.1 is $999, with the bullet camera version v2.2 $100 more.

Second, and more importantly, the SmartyCam HD is incapable of displaying speed, track maps, lap timing without either an AiM logger (Solo 2 DL or other) connected to it OR, at a minimum, an external GPS-08B antenna and power cable, which adds $188 to the package.

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15516632)

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far and hope they keep coming. I am particularly drawn to this one as I would like to keep under 1k if possible. I am going to research each of the options posted so far though. Does anyone else have specific experience with the AIM smarty cam?

Probably not possible to buy NEW what you need to make this option work for under $1K, but Matt and I sometimes have trade-ins and used gear that might be able to be assembled for your budget.

The SmartyCam HD option is valuable because unlike other cameras, the SmartyCam is a small computer. It has its own operating system, CPU and GPU to “write” real-time and on the background of the video, the crucial information you need for the best review. The VBOX Lite, HD2 and MoTeC V2 do this also, all at a price above your self-imposed limit.

I have a consignment VBOX Lite from a pro coach that would be in your budget coming in in the next two weeks, and have one or more used SmartyCam GP’s V2.1 with an antenna and power cord on hand, also. These would all meet your requirements and be in your budget.

Important to note that the SmartyCam only provides “intelligent video,” measures overlaid on video, no data for separate review. The VBOX Lite does provide both standard definition video and data for side by side comparison, sector maps, g comparisons for determining consistent cornering and braking, so you’ll get a lot more out of that, if that is of interest for self-coaching.

ProCoach 12-23-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15516661)
To confirm, are yall saying with smarty cam I will get speed, Gs and lap times as a stand alone not connecting to car? Then if I add the Aim Solo I will get other data by connecting to car I assume? These are all new names and systems to me so just want to make sure I am following correctly.

Thanks

Again, stand-alone you need a logger OR an antenna and power cable to use a SmartyCam in the car to get speed, g’s, lap times and for it to run more than an hour.

You could add the Solo 2 DL (but not the less expensive Solo 2, which has no ability to connect to the camera) at a later date and at any time to get car info.

Frank 993 C4S 12-23-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I have a consignment VBOX Lite from a pro coach that would be in your budget coming in in the next two weeks, and .... These would all meet your requirements and be in your budget.

That would be a steal!

dgrobs 12-23-2018 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15516661)

Thanks

You need the data logger (Solo 2 DL-my setup) to get the overlaid data I believe. The SCHD is the camera part of the setup. The data part is the Aim Solo. I think that is correct.
This is not my area of expertise, but as you see from this thread, there are plenty of folks here who know what they're doing.
Matt R made it very easy for me to get started and I flat out love the HD videos with the data overlaid.
He is very easy to work with and was very supportive with anything I needed or any questions I had. He knew I was very new to the technology, and really helped me get started.
He fully stood behind everything he did, and I went from not knowing a thing about video and data, to getting really into it very quickly. My kids love to watch the videos as well. I love that.
Matt set mine up so it was basically plug and play. John at Apex in NJ put the setup in the car for me and hooked it all up. Flawless so far. Matt also got me a cable which John installed that allowed to use of various external microphones (which I still can'y get the exact sound I want, but I'm getting there).
I pretty much had to do nothing except download and watch all the videos with the data I wanted overlaid on the video.
I really haven't done much with the Data portion of the equation yet, but that's coming this year for me as I plan to spend the time necessary to first read the data, and then analyze and understand it.
As for what you are looking to do, that's exactly what my system does for me know. I will be much more analytical with the data itself this coming season (with some help from Matt of course), but that's what I signed up for.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

JSETarga 12-23-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15516755)
You need the data logger (Solo 2 DL-my setup) to get the overlaid data I believe. The SCHD is the camera part of the setup. The data part is the Aim Solo. I think that is correct.
This is not my area of expertise, but as you see from this thread, there are plenty of folks here who know what they're doing.
Matt R made it very easy for me to get started and I flat out love the HD videos with the data overlaid.
He is very easy to work with and was very supportive with anything I needed or any questions I had. He knew I was very new to the technology, and really helped me get started.
He fully stood behind everything he did, and I went from not knowing a thing about video and data, to getting really into it very quickly. My kids love to watch the videos as well. I love that.
Matt set mine up so it was basically plug and play. John at Apex in NJ put the setup in the car for me and hooked it all up. Flawless so far. Matt also got me a cable which John installed that allowed to use of various external microphones (which I still can'y get the exact sound I want, but I'm getting there).
I pretty much had to do nothing except download and watch all the videos with the data I wanted overlaid on the video.
I really haven't done much with the Data portion of the equation yet, but that's coming this year for me as I plan to spend the time necessary to first read the data, and then analyze and understand it.
As for what you are looking to do, that's exactly what my system does for me know. I will be much more analytical with the data itself this coming season (with some help from Matt of course), but that's what I signed up for.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

How quick of a process and how much is there to do getting the data/video? I have been reading on other threads today and saw someone saying something along the lines that AIM has a lot more data and more cumbersome to watch video with data between sessions than the VBox. That the Vbox is better for someone who wants quick overlay data between sessions and AIM better for someone who wants to read more data. Definately not to the reading data lines place yet in my progression.