Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 162 Posts

Otto,

You should sue PCA to get the court to declare you a soverign man capable of deciding for yourself whether you have to wear pants at PCA events and helmets on track.

Maybe a gofundme or something.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
We're not talking about politics or law or paternalism, we're talking about safety at DE events, specifically PCA events.
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore and I'm dead certain you haven't understood a word I've said so I think we should just leave it at that, unless you'd like me to taunt you again?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

PCA organizes these events, they front the track rental and other costs, they deal with liability and a million other things, so they get to make the rules - you don't get to tell PCA what their rules should be at their own events. If you don't like those rules, don't come to PCA events - that's where your "freedom" is.
Bologna!

Regions put on the events and cover the cost; NOT PCA. That statement is BS. PCA might reimburse a region for loss of funds after they coerced them into a event those regions really didn't want to do, put on.or guarantee they won't take a loss. And no, those regions are not located in the upper 1/4 of the US.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Otto,

You should sue PCA to get the court to declare you a soverign man capable of deciding for yourself whether you have to wear pants at PCA events and helmets on track.

Nah.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I don't know. There are so many misleading and outright wrong opinions being discussed above it almost isn't worth a discussion.

Where I'm from, all cars are "self tech'ed" as you say. Technical inspection checks for obvious fluid leaks, numbers in the right place, tires look OK. Everything else is done by the entrant. I don't get the point here.

"And PCA or any club absolutely has the right to impose rules on you and anyone else that attends their event."

No, that isn't correct either.

"The track's will is imposed on the club too. After all it is their property."

Sometimes it's private, often it isn't. Laguna Seca is a County Park.

This is getting silly. You're arguing points I haven't made and you're not doing a good job.
Self tech is only for club racing where I am. For DE a shop has to look at the car. Only instructors can peer tech.

Please tell me how a venue or an organization cannot impose rules upon you on their property or the event.

And are you paying any attention too what you are writing? Your whole schtick here is "no one can impose rules on anyone over 18." That's the "point" you are "making."

Denying that venues of all kinds, including county parks, don't impose rules on people enjoying their venue is genuinely preposterous.

Yes, the track has rules you must follow or leave. Yes the club has rules you musty follow or leave. Those are just facts.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
How the hell did you get any of that from my comments? Seriously. How? I'm pointing out the reasons why our regions , very specifically PCA, are enhancing the minimum standards.

SMH
Here we go again. PCA consists of regions and you are not stating which affiliate region you are talking about. You make it sound that all have to be same. You are not admitting to the fact that regions are individuals with different needs based on their location.

SmH
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Otto,

Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PCA organizes these events, they front the track rental and other costs, they deal with liability and a million other things, so they get to make the rules - you don't get to tell PCA what their rules should be at their own events. If you don't like those rules, don't come to PCA events - that's where your "freedom" is.
OK, you've gone over the top now. It's the US GOVERNMENT that organizes all this stuff. They foot the bill. They bear the liability. They MAKE THE RULES. We're lucky they do it too, because if we didn't have the US GOVERNMENT we'd be up to our @**holes in alligators.

PCA! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

You realize you're shooting yourself in the foot here right?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Here we go again. PCA consists of regions and you are not stating which affiliate region you are talking about. You make it sound that all have to be same. You are not admitting to the fact that regions are individuals with different needs based on their location.

SmH
Now that's just bullish!t Honestly.

What, exactly, about a specific location, would preclude the use of H&N with harnesses.

Exactly. In detail. Defend your point.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Self tech is only for club racing where I am. For DE a shop has to look at the car. Only instructors can peer tech.

Please tell me how a venue or an organization cannot impose rules upon you on their property or the event.
And here we ago. Privilege for some but not for all. Who makes that decision; and on what basis? What makes one better than another?

Frankly you just negated your whole argumentative position with that admission.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:58 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. As far as I can gather it's about freedoms to do as one pleases. So if one doesn't like the rules of a club or event, move on to the next one. Unless there's something else so amazing about the club/event that it's a shame to move on. Then maybe argue a bit. But it's not a right to be there it's a privilege.

I suspect some don't want the safety gear because of the expense and a sense of bravado with not using safety gear beyond a helmet.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
And here we ago. Privilege for some but not for all. Who makes that decision; and on what basis? What makes one better than another?

Frankly you just negated your whole argumentative position with that admission.
Experience. It's about experience. New people to our hobby don't have the skills or knowledge to check these things. They're also teched on grid each morning.

And the club makes that rule.The club that requires a Hans with harnesses.

And it's peer tech not self tech. All cars have to be checked at a shop but at the track the instructors can look over each other's cars rather than go thru the tech line.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Bravo.

It would be nice to hear about facts that support this action vs. lawyers made us do it.

Few race cars run airbags with the 5 point belts. Airbags and 5 points with and without HANS device testing would be interesting.

I run all gear all the time. Unlike the kid I instructed this past weekend. 18, never been on a track. Never raced his bicycle but had a GT3. Shorts, open face helmet, no gloves, T-shirt. Stalled it out of the PITS.

I looked a little funny in my gear sitting next to him.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I'm going to bed. You guys keep fighting the power! You'll not be controlled!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Experience. It's about experience. New people to our hobby don't have the skills or knowledge to check these things. They're also teched on grid each morning.

And the club makes that rule.The club that requires a Hans with harnesses.

And it's peer tech not self tech. All cars have to be checked at a shop but at the track the instructors can look over each other's cars rather than go thru the tech line.
Keep digging.

I'm done. I'm out.

P.S.
As an instructor I've been given the privilege of teching others, mostly students, first timers cars. Do you really believe I can do all whats required on the tech form without lifting it or have ample time to do so. SmH

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)