Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Which is exactly my point, known as "the law of unintended consequences". Without real study all you have are opinions of the form "jest makes all sorta sense ta me!"

Experiments are expensive, but doing things because they "jest make sense" is a lot more expensive.
Lots of research has been done on why a HANS is needed when using a harness. Think F1, NASCAR, Indy, etc. They have experts and budgets to look into this stuff. The only possible unintended consequence I see with using a HANS, if using a harness, is that the driver may feel more protected and therefore take more risk. But I think it would be very difficult to make the case that the net effect of using the HANS is that the driver would be less safe overall.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Lots of research has been done on why a HANS is needed when using a harness. Think F1, NASCAR, Indy, etc. They have experts and budgets to look into this stuff. The only possible unintended consequence I see with using a HANS, if using a harness, is that the driver may feel more protected and therefore take more risk. But I think it would be very difficult to make the case that the net effect of using the HANS is that the driver would be less safe overall.
Sure, but you miss the point.

A helmet might help someone using a three point belt, or no belt, but it will kill someone using a harness. If helmets weren't required in cars, they wouldn't be required in cars with harnesses. It isn't the helmet or the harness that's at fault; it's the helmet and the harness. The law of unintended consequences.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Sure, but you miss the point.

A helmet might help someone using a three point belt, or no belt, but it will kill someone using a harness. If helmets weren't required in cars, they wouldn't be required in cars with harnesses. It isn't the helmet or the harness that's at fault; it's the helmet and the harness. The law of unintended consequences.
How did you reach those conclusions?

And I don't follow your logic. PCA isn't saying that a helmet + harness is ok, they're saying that if you use a harness, it needs to be helmet + harness + HANS.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racingswh
My concern would be that some participants would take too many shortcuts in regards to safety and car preparation.
But how do you establish standing? How is my decision to not use safety equipment that only has a remote chance of protecting me personally effect your safety?

"Standing" is a legal concept; it establishes your right to make a complaint about something. It has nothing to do with what you think "makes sense" or "is reasonable". It has to do with a legitimate claim to being harmed.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:28 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

To all the racerboys ,Why are you installing a race seat and 6 point belts if you are not going to complete the setup with a head and neck restraint. This backlash to upgrades of the minimum PCA standards is just weird . As far as belt aging, some standard had to be set and 5 years is it.
I here that Friday night circle track racing is real cheap and dose not require a lot of safety equipment.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

And I don't follow your logic.
Helmets were adopted in car racing before cars had seat belts.

Seat belts were added, they were compatible with helmets.

Three point belts were added. They were compatible with helmets.

Harnesses aren't compatible with helmets. It took time to figure that out because no one really studied the combination. Eventually it was figured out by trial and error.

You can remove the harness or the helmet. Either works. They don't work together. Law of unintended consequences.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Helmets were adopted in car racing before cars had seat belts.

Seat belts were added, they were compatible with helmets.

Three point belts were added. They were compatible with helmets.

Harnesses aren't compatible with helmets. It took time to figure that out because no one really studied the combination. Eventually it was figured out by trial and error.

You can remove the harness or the helmet. Either works. They don't work together. Law of unintended consequences.
Are you suggesting that it's ok to drive on track with a harness without a helmet or HANS? Not sure what policy you're arguing for here.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

The only possible unintended consequence I see with using a HANS...
Mark Twain made it famous; “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”
Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

This would be the reason for requiring a Hans device if you use harnesses and a helmet.

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/colu...or-4-5-million

https://jalopnik.com/this-track-day-...rac-1824270453

https://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/...inst_atco.html

https://www.courthousenews.com/widow...d-track-death/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...dway-1.3141935

https://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...171885751.html
Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Are you suggesting that it's ok to drive on track with a harness without a helmet or HANS? Not sure what policy you're arguing for here.
I'm arguing a policy of not mouthing off about things we don't understand at the expense of others. Not going off half cocked. Knowing your own limits. Having a legitimate complaint before restricting the actions of others. That sort of stuff.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
People like you are the ones that get clubs and tracks sued.
I've never gotten anyone sued.

You want safety? Don't race cars. That's it. You want to get sued? Try telling me or anyone else I'll be safe if I install a HANS system on my car.

Work that out for yourself. You understand liability? You tell me to do something for my safety, money changes hands, you just accepted responsibility for my safety.

Now, say for example you suggest I can maybe improve my odds by doing certain things but I have no obligation to do it, just an idea. Then maybe you rent me something, like a track. As long as you aren't negligent, the thing you're renting is suitable for purpose, and it's clear I'm renting the track for the purpose discussed, you're probably OK. You can get sued one way or the other, but it looks a whole lot better if you didn't charge me to tell me I'd be safe doing whatever it was I was doing.

No one can sign away the right to sue, but you can make the situation a whole lot worse by offering anything that looks remotely like a warranty.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 12-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
As far as belt aging, some standard had to be set and 5 years is it.
I think the best argument is the simple one, the harnessses have an expiration date and we aren’t going to bother figuring out how much longer they’re safe to use in a club racing environment so instead we’ll just be conservative and trash them when the expiration date comes up. It’s not an unreasonable position to take and harnesses aren’t that expensive anyway.

I just really dislike urban myths like the UV damage concern. It’s not about UV damage and it never was. It’s much simpler - it will last longer than the five years but we don’t want to figure out how much longer because it’s hard/costly and in theory it could introduce a legal risk for PCA. So we just use the expiration date and buy new harnesses instead of worrying about it. Fair enough.

The seat thing is a bit of a fudge but that’s fine.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm arguing a policy of not mouthing off about things we don't understand at the expense of others. Not going off half cocked. Knowing your own limits. Having a legitimate complaint before restricting the actions of others. That sort of stuff.
Let's be specific. What specific policy are you advocating with respect to restraints, helmets, and HANS?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

I've never gotten anyone sued.

You want safety? Don't race cars. That's it. You want to get sued? Try telling me or anyone else I'll be safe if I install a HANS system on my car.

Work that out for yourself. You understand liability? You tell me to do something for my safety, money changes hands, you just accepted responsibility for my safety.

Now, say for example you suggest I can maybe improve my odds by doing certain things but I have no obligation to do it, just an idea. Then maybe you rent me something, like a track. As long as you aren't negligent, the thing you're renting is suitable for purpose, and it's clear I'm renting the track for the purpose discussed, you're probably OK. You can get sued one way or the other, but it looks a whole lot better if you didn't charge me to tell me I'd be safe doing whatever it was I was doing.

No one can sign away the right to sue, but you can make the situation a whole lot worse by offering anything that looks remotely like a warranty.

Are you drunk?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have a better opportunity to control the car after an incident occurs instead of being knocked unconscious or killed which might then allow your car to drift back on track in front of and collect up other participants as a consequence. That's how the safety equipment may possibly have a chance of keeping not only you but a fellow participant safer.

Secondly I don't want you to be injured or die which really sucks when it happens. It would negatively affect me and probably most of the other participants emotionally. I know that after my Wife's pretty horrific crash people quit for the weekend and seriously questioned their own safety equipment afterwards. Some even questioned their continued participation ever again. If she had been seriously injured or killed I promise we would have less participants than we do today the rest of my family and close friends included. Not only does it make everyone feel horrible but it could also affect the program as a whole and threaten it's continuation.

The more people that come into and start enjoying the sport the more opportunity there is for something to go wrong. The result is that it requires more safety rules that must be mandated in order to insure the safety of the participants that may not know any better.

It has been my experience that we essentially must protect people from themselves because in many cases when left on their own they will take the path of least resistance.

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)