NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Why does anyone other than me care what sort of safety equipment I use in a DE car?

Is there some insurance issue somehow? Certainly not one I know about. What drives it?
I genuinely don't understand what you don't understand. Do you think PCA or any car club wants you to hit a wall at 120 and die? Do you think they want to stop the event and clean that up because "who cares what safety equipment I wear?"

Widows sue car clubs all the time. Insurance rates go up and up and up. Liability waivers are a 50/50 prospect for the club and the track at best. How many more of these events do you think will happen if a car club decided "wear what you want" and somebody gets maimed as a result?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This seems pretty simple to me.... maybe I'm missing something though. Helmet, HANS, harness - it's all (and always) together. I don't have the factory belts any more - so it's not even an option. If the determination is that for a student to ride with me they have to have a HANS because I only have harnesses - then so be it. If the student wants to go for a ride along bad enough - then they will find a way.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Fact is there is no testing on the use of a helmet in a car with airbags. None, nada. When I went to the Advanced M Course at the BMW school out at Thermal in February I was really surprised to learn that they had discontinued the use of helmets entirely. The rational was that after speaking with their engineers and of course attorneys they decided that the airbags both drivers and side curtain are not really compatible with helmets. Not sure how much analysis was done but I suspect a fair amount because to remove helmets from the equation is a substantial step especially in a program with speeds just over 140 mph.

Having said that I don't expect any of the groups I do HPDE with to adopt a practice similar to the BMW School for a variety of reasons starting with the wide variety of cars that participate, insurance and of course the school does nearly all of its instruction in lead follow which provides some level of control that you would not see in a typical HPDE day.
I would expect there is plenty of data at PCA National from all of the crashes where airbags have deployed during DE's and the occupants were wearing helmets to make some type of reasonable assessment as to whether or not it is safe. My guess is far more information than could be collected from a lead follow BMW school where crashing is more than likely very rare. Do they wear helmets at BMW DE events in cars with airbags?

I was at NJMP Thundebolt visiting a friend at an event this past October and he had a failure with a brake caliper going into T1. He wasn't going very fast at the time, turning laps in the 1;27-28 range, but starting to get up to speed. Car went left at 140 mph and proceeded to crash into the barrier on the left. Not a straight on shot but the airbags deployed. He was strapped in wearing a 6 point harness and HANS in an FIA racing seat, no cage or roll bar, harness bar only. He was completely fine and did give credit to how well he felt the HANS had protected his neck.

PCA would be well served compiling all the data they have on all of the crashes they have had over the years in order to identify injury trends to determine what is safe and what is not. Then they could either suggest or require use of or elimination of certain safety equipment based on actual data.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I would feel naked without my Hans.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I would feel naked without my Hans.
Yeah, for me, about the same as driving on the street without my seat belt. Who among us would be comfortable doing that?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Perhaps this is an area where MSF could earn their keep. Probably more value in researching this issue than instructor certification.

I’m seeing a growing number of folks just getting into the track “hobby” who are convinced that they are better protected by the factory safety systems than with full restraints, even to the point of eschewing helmets. I suspect that is likely driven by unwillingness to make the necessary modifications to their 600 HP daily driver. I have a full cage, etc. but I also have a 25 year old car. There’s no question that new cars are built stronger and safer. Does adding a roll bar, or even a cage really add much protection in modern cars? We can all speculate and pontificate, but it would be good to have hard data to support the requirements.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
Perhaps this is an area where MSF could earn their keep. Probably more value in researching this issue than instructor certification.

I’m seeing a growing number of folks just getting into the track “hobby” who are convinced that they are better protected by the factory safety systems than with full restraints, even to the point of eschewing helmets. I suspect that is likely driven by unwillingness to make the necessary modifications to their 600 HP daily driver. I have a full cage, etc. but I also have a 25 year old car. There’s no question that new cars are built stronger and safer. Does adding a roll bar, or even a cage really add much protection in modern cars? We can all speculate and pontificate, but it would be good to have hard data to support the requirements.
I think a roll cage is the gold standard, along with a proper seat, harness, and HANS, and preferably also fire suppression (rare in DE-only cars). A roll bar adds some roll protection, but doesn't prevent the A-pillars from deforming downwards, and provides limited added protection for a side impact, so the added protection of a roll bar falls well short of a roll cage.

At least for modern Porsches, they seem to usually do pretty well in rolls, even without a roll bar.

I have a roll bar and harnesses in my 991 GT3, and am satisfied with the level of protection for a car driven on both track and street, but on the track I'm always aware, in the back of my mind, that I don't have a full race car safety system.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Airbag systems are not fault free, nor very forgiving.
Sh*t happens; seen a GT3 go up near a 45 degree roll angle, all 10 airbags got deployed, car didn't roll, but damage was done, weekend over.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:19 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the sake of discussion, where does a head and neck device like the 3pt compatible Simpson Hybrid S fall into the equation?
If the driver is using one of those with a 3-pt belt, should the passenger be using one?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
For the sake of discussion, where does a head and neck device like the 3pt compatible Simpson Hybrid S fall into the equation?
If the driver is using one of those with a 3-pt belt, should the passenger be using one?
My opinion is yes and when I was a Co-Safety Chair at Riesentoter for the 2013 -2016 seasons it was very hard not to let my personal beliefs drive my decisions. I do not know if this is a reasonable requirement however.

I personally believe everyone should be wearing a head and neck restraint regardless of belt configuration. I happen to use the Simpson. In addition I would not make an instructor take their's off if their student did not have one on. If I was told I had to be what is IMO less safe and remove my head and neck restraint I would not get in the student's car.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Fact is there is no testing on the use of a helmet in a car with airbags. None, nada. When I went to the Advanced M Course at the BMW school out at Thermal in February I was really surprised to learn that they had discontinued the use of helmets entirely. The rational was that after speaking with their engineers and of course attorneys they decided that the airbags both drivers and side curtain are not really compatible with helmets. Not sure how much analysis was done but I suspect a fair amount because to remove helmets from the equation is a substantial step especially in a program with speeds just over 140 mph.
I was just talking to my friend who did the BMW "M" school in South Carolina. I was astonished to hear him tell me that they didn't wear helmets. And he told me they weren't just *****-footing around either, going over 100mph. I don't know if I would feel comfortable relying on air bags and three point seat belts.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:46 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

I agree that telling an instructor they can't wear their Simpson Hybrid S in a students car is counterproductive to safety. If a student wants a ride in an instructors car and they don't have a HANS, the answer is simple, either they borrow one or they don't ride in that instructors car. (I'm assuming the instructors car is rollbar/cage, seats, 5-6 point harnesses).
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I agree that telling an instructor they can't wear their Simpson Hybrid S in a students car is counterproductive to safety. If a student wants a ride in an instructors car and they don't have a HANS, the answer is simple, either they borrow one or they don't ride in that instructors car. (I'm assuming the instructors car is rollbar/cage, seats, 5-6 point harnesses).
This is kind of my thinking as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 529 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree with the rule - and as Clark said, not because we sell them, but because there is value in being safe. Safety items are mostly not stand alone, they act as a system. HANS (and other brand variations) are part of a full safety SYSTEM - just like a harness and seats that are built for harnesses. I see zero downside. Why do we put race seats and harnesses in the car to begin with? why do we wear helmets? why fire suits? why roll bars and/or cages? There's also a reason why every helmet sold now has backing plate already installed for H&N restraint anchors.

And yes...there was discussion about this 6 months ago or so. This is not new.

The instructor/student question is still an issue....both ways. Say for example a student is driving a car with only 6 pt harness and race seats (yes it happens a lot - spouse or friend or child of a racer) and has a HANS, but the instructor DOES NOT have a H&N restraint because he/she drives a street car without harnesses? (majority of instructors I would guess). rearranging instructor/student match ups is not an insignificant task for a registrar or CI...Just a thought to ponder....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I agree with the rule - and as Clark said, not because we sell them, but because there is value in being safe. Safety items are mostly not stand alone, they act as a system. HANS (and other brand variations) are part of a full safety SYSTEM - just like a harness and seats that are built for harnesses. I see zero downside. Why do we put race seats and harnesses in the car to begin with? why do we wear helmets? why fire suits? why roll bars and/or cages? There's also a reason why every helmet sold now has backing plate already installed for H&N restraint anchors.

And yes...there was discussion about this 6 months ago or so. This is not new.

The instructor/student question is still an issue....both ways. Say for example a student is driving a car with only 6 pt harness and race seats (yes it happens a lot - spouse or friend or child of a racer) and has a HANS, but the instructor DOES NOT have a H&N restraint because he/she drives a street car without harnesses? (majority of instructors I would guess). rearranging instructor/student match ups is not an insignificant task for a registrar or CI...Just a thought to ponder....
I am just starting to think about outfitting my car better because I want to be safe. It's not a statement of how experienced or good I am, I'm new. My thought was to buy a Hans for my instructor, now I can't have both sizes but can have one. They can use it if they don't have one. The rest of the equipment would already be in the car. Only other thing is their helmet would need the right fittings and they would need to have the will to use it.

Quick Reply: NEW PCA Best Practices for DE (Rant!)