Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WGI Club Race Enduros

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not a secret if you read the initial emails. My typing skills are good enough to explain the reasoning for a possible change in the Sunday schedule....
Amazing all this talk on Rennlist and I have received no calls about the issue...So much for one one conversations...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Its not a secret if you read the initial emails. My typing skills are good enough to explain the reasoning for a possible change in the Sunday schedule....
Amazing all this talk on Rennlist and I have received no calls about the issue...So much for one one conversations...
Pete,

I have held positions, including chair and vice-chair for various governmental, civic and charitable organizations and understand the frustrations of making everyone happy. Many times I would get upset that people who did nothing but complain, and never actually helped with anything, questioned my part in many decisions. The fact that I was not being paid, and was volunteering my time, would really set me off. So on behalf of myself, and probably a bunch of other people, I want to say I mean no disrespect by my comments in this thread. I had to make plenty of unpopular decisions and had more than one nasty letter to the editor written about me in time.

All that being said, I always tried to make sure I wasn't just listening to the loudest voices in the room, which many times were different from what the majority wanted, and also to make sure I fully explained the reasons for the actions I took. People may not have liked or agreed with every decision, but I explained it.

With that long preamble, I think many of us are just asking why something which did not appear to be problematic was changed? Do you need one of us to call you and then provide the explanation here on RL? It would appear that this thread is a good way to communicate with many of us at one time instead of piecemeal.

Many thanks,

Todd
Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Default No Secret

Had a very nice chat with Pete Tremper. I was apparently only the second person to actually call him - which he thought was pretty peculiar considering this typical 4 page (thus far) Rennlist debate.

He explained the reasoning behind the 60 minute Sunday Enduro - including the percentage of cars that drop out on Sunday. A lot of thought into what is candidly an experiment. And not set in stone.

I explained why I preferred a 90 minute event. He said the one other call said much the same thing.
Got an opinion? Voice it

Originally Posted by Streak
So why keep it a secret?
Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I explained why I preferred a 90 minute event. He said the one other call said much the same thing.
Well that was me. I told Pete I favored the 90 minute enduro. We spoke about a range of things. Pete's got stories! Pete is a good listener and this is not set in stone as Dan said above. I would hate to see it go.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like practice, qualifying, and co-driving the enduro, so I don't understand the need for like 6 sprints to feel like one has accomplished something or getting one's money's worth. It is known in sports that lack of practice combined with only competing leads to some raggedy skills, because you, appropriately of course, "cut corners" or whatever is needed to win, while in practice you can develop skills, or as I say, "put gas in the tank" (two puns ). Yes, the fun race or school could be handled in some different way. YES< rotate groups in the race schedule!

However, not calling Mr.Tremper personally should not be the sole indicator of my dismay about the enduro length. No offense, Pete, but right now, tired of personal conversations with people in the club that don't result in what I talked about being addressed. Public comment and discussion is always good, and those who want to call and those who want to listen, more power to you, you guys are awesome.

PS. Maybe too many advance days prior to racing event are contributing to some of the issues.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote, I don't care. I just want to race 30,60 0r 90 they all have there own attractions. I never understand why people don't do the fun race, I figure there all fun races with the same awesome prize money.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:20 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I think its already been proposed ; I would be in favor of keeping the 90 min enduro But run it Saturday
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I've spoken with Pete a few times and had an in depth conversations about what went into this decision. It appears that Zone 1 is going to try a 60 minute enduro this year. They even tossed around the idea of going to three sprints but felt that keeping an enduro, albeit a 60 minute one, was meeting everyone half-way.

It seems one of the main drivers to this decision is the fact that attendance is down across the board at most PCA races. You can talk about a lot of the reasons but I think AER, and series like it, are eating into PCA's core group.

Accordingly, in an effort to get more people to register for the enduro they are shortening it to 60 minutes.

While I feel strongly that a track as awesome as Watkins Glen DESERVES a 90 minute enduro, listening to Pete, and the choices he needed to make, I understand why they want to try this. I'm not happy about it, but I respect the decesion.

I appreciate the time Pete spent on the phone with me and asking me what I thought.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Trying to save or grow attendance at the Glen by cutting the longest race by a third and trimming race time for the weekend by 20%...?

Now that, is a head scratcher. This was never about concerns about overall attendance, it’s about fly-in drivers wanting to get home faster. It’s in this thread and was in the very first email.

This is a solution with no problem. Just rotate the run groups and shorten each warm up by 10 min. Done. Home sooner, same race time, and once every three years you have the short straw and go last.

What a cluster***k. I hope Vicki has the common sense to kill this ridiculousness. I plan on sending a sternly worded email to her to voice my opposition. Encourage others to do the same.

#DontCutTheGlen !!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
Trying to save or grow attendance at the Glen by cutting the longest race by a third and trimming race time for the weekend by 20%...?

Now that, is a head scratcher. This was never about concerns about overall attendance, it’s about fly-in drivers wanting to get home faster. It’s in this thread and was in the very first email.

This is a solution with no problem. Just rotate the run groups and shorten each warm up by 10 min. Done. Home sooner, same race time, and once every three years you have the short straw and go last.

What a cluster***k. I hope Vicki has the common sense to kill this ridiculousness. I plan on sending a sternly worded email to her to voice my opposition. Encourage others to do the same.

#DontCutTheGlen !!
Before you send that sternly worded email, you should be aware Vicki is no longer the PCA Club Racing Chair.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Fumes
Racer

Originally Posted by drive418
Before you send that sternly worded email, you should be aware Vicki is no longer the PCA Club Racing Chair.
That’s right, totally forgot and thanks!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fumes

#DontCutTheGlen !!
I stated pretty much everything you said to him. The main point being you may lose as many people as you gain by this change. I also brought up that certain cars can't make it the full hour but he said that there were not many.

My only point, in regards to Pete, is that he is trying to do the right thing. I don't like the final decision but he is not making the change just for the sake of change.

That being said, I hope it goes back to 90 minutes in 2020, but I don't know how to make that happen. Do I deliberately stay away from a track I love or do I go and falsely give the impression that I am OK with this?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I stated pretty much everything you said to him. The main point being you may lose as many people as you gain by this change. I also brought up that certain cars can't make it the full hour but he said that there were not many.

My only point, in regards to Pete, is that he is trying to do the right thing. I don't like the final decision but he is not making the change just for the sake of change.

That being said, I hope it goes back to 90 minutes in 2020, but I don't know how to make that happen. Do I deliberately stay away from a track I love or do I go and falsely give the impression that I am OK with this?
So this is final now? ****!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Fumes
Racer

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My only point, in regards to Pete, is that he is trying to do the right thing. I don't like the final decision but he is not making the change just for the sake of change.......

Do I deliberately stay away from a track I love or do I go and falsely give the impression that I am OK with this?
Absolutely nothing against Pete, we all appreciate everyone who volunteers their time to make PCA work.

Your question is the conundrum.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I will do the Sprints and skip the Enduro.

Quick Reply: WGI Club Race Enduros