Sponsored by:

WGI Club Race Enduros

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WGI Club Race Enduros

Did anyone else get the email from the Watkins Glen club race committee about changing the format for the Sunday enduros?
The original question was whether to replace the Enduro’s with two sprint races.
Apparently, the decision has been made to reduce the time of the Enduro’s from 90 minutes to 60 minutes.
I love a 90 minute enduro with a mandatory 5 minute pit stop. I need the stop to refuel. I don’t think my car can make it 60 minutes without refueling, so I don’t think I would bother entering.What does everyone else think?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's what we got Nov. 7....

In an effort to keep the PCA Club Race at Watkins Glen interesting and exciting, I am asking for your input to the following question:

What would you think of having 2 - 40 minute Sprint races on Sunday instead of the single Enduro Race as is the current format?

For the purposes of this question, please assume that the race format would be similar to Saturday but the finishing time would be earlier as there would not be any "Warm Up" on Sunday.

Please email me with your opinion and any comments you may have.

This is purely hypothetical at this point, but we want your input so we can keep the event relevant to you, the racer.

Thanks,
Jim

Here's what we got today.....

Thanks for the input to my last email regarding the format for the Sunday race at the PCA WGI Club Race. I received 146 replies and the results were basically an even split with both options giving excellent reasons for their selection. However there was also a lot of comment regarding the length of the day and many suggestions for drivers to be able to race, but finish early enough to be able to pack up and get home. This was both from the majority of drivers with team support and individuals with no support, and those that supported sprint or enduro formats.

Pete and I have come up with a possible compromise to most of your desires and we want to run it by you to get your thoughts. The compromise would be to structure Sunday with basically the same schedule with warm-ups in the morning followed by 3 - 1 hour Enduro race groups. The first 2 race groups would be finished before the mandatory WGI lunch break at noon, and the last Enduro beginning at 1 PM and ending at 2 PM.

The format would allow the strategy of an Enduro, but also allow single drivers to compete, possibly without refueling. It would also end the day much earlier than our normal schedule allowing an earlier departure for those needing to get home.

Thanks,
Jim
James D. Morgan
Zone 1 Club Race Co-
Zone1ClubRaceRegistrar@nycap.rr.com
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Well that sucks. I really enjoy the longer enduro. An hour long enduro just is not the same thing.

I suspect that most of the "shorter enduro" amswers were from people who don't have the needed help for a pit stop.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

I like the 90 minute races too.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I prefer the 90 minute Enduros even though the refueling provides additional complexity and requires support. I sent my email response. Let's see what happens....
Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Well that sucks. I really enjoy the longer enduro. An hour long enduro just is not the same thing.

I suspect that most of the "shorter enduro" amswers were from people who don't have the needed help for a pit stop.
Actually the shorter enduro was being pushed by the run group that runs last on sundays so they can make their flights home
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

definitely prefer 90 min. yes it sucks to be last group, so rotate who goes last each year...
Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

I’d prefer the 90-minute enduro, but I would be fine with two 40 minute sprints. The proposal from today’s email cuts my track time by 20-30 minutes. Like most others, I can only attend a handful of events per season and want to maximize my seat time each weekend. When series such as AER already offer much more track time per weekend (albeit it’s likely with a different feel, though I’ve yet to do one myself), it’s tough to see how the PCA can cut race distances and expect its customers to keep showing up.

If you’re going to make a change for the sake of change, make it like the NJMP race with a Sunday morning sprint followed by a 60-minute enduro.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
definitely prefer 90 min. yes it sucks to be last group, so rotate who goes last each year...
This

Arthur, I received both emails
Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

60 minutes? Why bother calling it an enduro?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Run the enduro on Saturday instead?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
60 minutes? Why bother calling it an enduro?
+1 While one less lap would have been good for me last year (or I could have made sure the damn thing was totally full before the race), I'm usually disappointed when the 90 min enduro is over. I voted for a one hour sprint on Sat and a 2 hr enduro on Sunday.

All that time and money to get there and people just want to get home?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I didn't get around replying to the original email but I feel that the reason for change is a some type of problem (eg general wgi club race attendance) and without clearly defining the problem there is no way to solve it as you are just stabbing in the dark.

I like the 90 minute endure but would also like it if they move the order of the groups around so not the same guys are always in the last group. Doing the enduro on Saturday is also interesting but I guess it won't solve the problem (which problem?)

would the 60 min enduro still have mandatory 5 min in pit stop? this makes it crazy busy in pits as the pit window just got way smaller. now throw in pit closure for double yellow/black flag etc and it becomes really hard to get your pit stop done.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with most every post here.

60 minutes doesn't feel like an enduro. 90 minutes does. It adds complexity and strategy, which I enjoy.

I wait all winter for the weather to change and the race season to start. For us northerners, The Clash at the Glen is usually very early in the race season. THEN, one worries about leaving the track as early as possible on Sunday? I don't get it. If you are concerned about departing early, you don't have to run the enduro. It is optional. Rotating the last enduro run group on Sunday is a fair idea.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

I am very much against a morning sprint Sunday and an enduro. Current and future points rules make the morning sprint a must run but if you have an issue you are screwed for the enduro.

Quick Reply: WGI Club Race Enduros