Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WGI Club Race Enduros

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

The real enduro race is the ride home! 6 hours!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
I love it when Streak (Hunt) begins a comment with: "I'm not trying to be a dick here but..."

Does that mean he admits he's a dick, but he's not trying? Just axin'
I'm a cross between dick and ahole, Dickhole works

Originally Posted by Gary R.
So much for that!

Pass the Grey Poupon please....
Ha! I can only afford French's. I'm in spec class you know . . .

Originally Posted by Horus2000
I'm not sure exactly what I said that offended you, but yes I get it that many people are involved in putting on a racing weekend. They all have to travel and they all face the same challenges as me, and some much much bigger challenges.

My point was explaining why I've chosen to skip some enduros due to the same travel challenges. I'd love it if we could keep 90 minute enduros while also encouraging more attendance (and getting everyone out of there as early as reasonable on a Sunday). Given the risky financials involved for most club races, a priority should be put on participation including the extra fees for the enduro. No, I don't think we should cut into DE time. But there might be ways to support more race time (not just track time). Other organizations have managed to figure out the rookie school without fun races. If you have 3 race groups, each running a 25 minute fun race - cancelling those would net back 90 minutes once you include transition time. Same with the Sunday warm ups, particularly in those places that have restricted hours to run engines in the morning. Combining those warm ups could allow for earlier enduro starts, depending on the circumstances.

Just trying to find solutions here, not looking for sympathy for an 'arrive and drive' guy.
I apologize for my tone. I will say that if you read something while smiling it sounds much different

I am just flabbergasted at the mere thought of cutting back a fantastic race weekend at a truly legendary track.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default goalpost moved

First the message was to make things interesting and exciting, to which the answer was two more sprints. (No, please, no.) And then it was about catering to those who want to leave early. And never mind with the latter, many people get to the Glen early for the prior days and then want to leave early! So they have leave from work prior to the event but can't take leave on Monday or work from home. (I don't buy it.) And then about refueling...

I wrote to the chair FOR the 90-minute enduro, before the decision and after. After all, these are Porsches, having a legacy of endurance racing, and co-driving is a way to get to race with a friend or family member, unique and the best thing about an enduro. One hour at Lime Rock or Summit is fine, but an hour at the Glen is like no laps, not even a sprint if you have a co-driver. Very disappointed and hope more people write in to the chair and just say no.

​​​​​​​Are sprints actually more popular? Are the reg. numbers declining at the Glen? It would be nice to know what is driving this move.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

I apologize for my tone. I will say that if you read something while smiling it sounds much different

I am just flabbergasted at the mere thought of cutting back a fantastic race weekend at a truly legendary track.
You and I are in full agreement, my friend. I'm scheduled to run WG for the first time next season and can't wait. It would be a shame if the enduro was only 60 minutes.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
First the message was to make things interesting and exciting, to which the answer was two more sprints. (No, please, no.) And then it was about catering to those who want to leave early. And never mind with the latter, many people get to the Glen early for the prior days and then want to leave early! So they have leave from work prior to the event but can't take leave on Monday or work from home. (I don't buy it.) And then about refueling...

I wrote to the chair FOR the 90-minute enduro, before the decision and after. After all, these are Porsches, having a legacy of endurance racing, and co-driving is a way to get to race with a friend or family member, unique and the best thing about an enduro. One hour at Lime Rock or Summit is fine, but an hour at the Glen is like no laps, not even a sprint if you have a co-driver. Very disappointed and hope more people write in to the chair and just say no.

Are sprints actually more popular? Are the reg. numbers declining at the Glen? It would be nice to know what is driving this move.
The Glen is probably my favorite track and I will consider driving a different race instead which has an enduro. Damn shame, I was really looking forward to the Glen this year. Have to see how I feel when it comes time to register.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

For those that want to know the thought behind the possible change of the Sunday schedule at the Clash, call me..
Pete
609.221.3854 EST
Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
For those that want to know the thought behind the possible change of the Sunday schedule at the Clash, call me..
Pete
609.221.3854 EST

Pete - thanks for being brave and outting your phone number up. Can you share the thought process here as there are many that are disappointed by this. May save you some time!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Damn shame, I was really looking forward to the Glen this year.
same but with no 90 minute enduro, I'm out. It's the best part of race weekend.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:23 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26

Are sprints actually more popular? Are the reg. numbers declining at the Glen? It would be nice to know what is driving this move.
Originally Posted by Fumes
same but with no 90 minute enduro, I'm out. It's the best part of race weekend.
+1 it's my favorite race of the year and enduro is the best part. It's also one of the most convenient for me since I have a house less then three hours away where I usually keep the car for the first half of the season. I'm not sure what I'll do yet but for the first time in eight years, I'm strongly considering not going this year.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Enduro

Pete
609.221.3854 EST
In speaking with Pete, there are some very interesting reasons why this might make sense. I can see both sides for sure. I will say that Pete and his Zone 1 volunteers have always done their best to offer PCA racers a fun and enjoyable event. Thank you Dr. Tremper and glad to see you still racing hard!

Last edited by bella1; 11-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Pete
609.221.3854 EST
Originally Posted by bella1
In speaking with Pete, there are some very interesting reasons why this might make sense. I can see both sides for sure. I will say that Pete and his Zone 1 volunteers have always done their best to offer PCA racers a fun and enjoyable event. Thank you Dr. Tremper and glad to see you racing hard!
So why keep it a secret?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM
serpags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with a comment read earlier about re-thinking the fun starts which are poorly attended and the warm up prior to enduros which are also poorly attended , OR , havethe 90 min before Sunday like HSR and PBOC format.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by serpags
I agree with a comment read earlier about re-thinking the fun starts which are poorly attended and the warm up prior to enduros which are also poorly attended , OR , havethe 90 min before Sunday like HSR and PBOC format.
The "Fun Starts" are necessary to certify rookie racers as part of their race orientation.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM
serpags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The "Fun Starts" are necessary to certify rookie racers as part of their race orientation.
OK, can it be done within another session to free up Satruday schedule for 90 min ?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by serpags
The fun starts are a requirement for rookie racers to obtain their license. Now, if there are no rookie racers attending that weekend, that's a different story.

Having the 90 minute enduro prior to the end of the weekend could cause attrition and lead to poorly attended sprints on Sunday.

Seems to me nearly every PCA Race weekend is scheduled out very similarly. Are we trying to fix something that isn't broken?

Quick Reply: WGI Club Race Enduros