Sponsored by:

WGI Club Race Enduros

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I think PCA was focusing on the number of people who currently don't participate in the enduros and catering to them. They are forgetting the people who come to certain PCA events because of the enduro race.

A 60 minute enduro feels just like a sprint to me.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:31 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Very disappointing if they move from 90 to 60.

As Todd said, 60 isn't an Enduro, it's a longer Sprint. 90 minutes requires a different kind of skill and strategy and makes for a great balance with the two 30 minute Sprint races on Saturday. Some guys are better at one than the other and that is part of the fun both for a weekend and over the course of a season.

Bad decision in my book. This sounds like squeaky wheel getting some grease, not an actual demand from the broader group.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
A 60 minute enduro feels just like a sprint to me.
Except when we did 60 minute enduro's at Limerock.... that was a long race.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
All that time and money to get there and people just want to get home?
THIS x 100000000000
Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drive418
I agree with most every post here.

60 minutes doesn't feel like an enduro. 90 minutes does. It adds complexity and strategy, which I enjoy.

I wait all winter for the weather to change and the race season to start. For us northerners, The Clash at the Glen is usually very early in the race season. THEN, one worries about leaving the track as early as possible on Sunday? I don't get it. If you are concerned about departing early, you don't have to run the enduro. It is optional. Rotating the last enduro run group on Sunday is a fair idea.
+1
Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

+1

Whenever I see that my run group is last on a Sunday I say "gee, that sucks" and then I move on.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Except when we did 60 minute enduro's at Limerock.... that was a long race.
60+ laps in one race at LRP would be pretty long.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:43 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

60 or 90, all enduros require a mandatory 5 minute pit stop even if you dont need fuel.

The problem is attendance. Too many guys bail on the late in the day Sunday 90 minute enduros. Since so few cars run them I too bailed on Sunday at VIR and Summit this year. I'd stay if everyone else did.

The 60 is a mistake. Should have gone with more sprints.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:40 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Four sprint races or 2 sprints and a 90 minute enduro. Please don't split the baby.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Four sprint races or 2 sprints and a 90 minute enduro. Please don't split the baby.
I'll go along with that but I'd still prefer the enduro.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As someone who flew into all 6 races that I ran this year and will do the same next season, it's not about wanting to get home. For me, it's about work. Between a full time job and a family, I have to move heaven and hell to be gone Friday - Sunday as is. If I can't make the late flight Sunday, then I'm screwed for Monday and will reconsider if the race is worth it at all.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that enduros should be shortened to 60 minutes. Until now, I've just chosen not to run the enduro if it's scheduled late. But, I'm also not paying for an enduro that I won't be running, which is a problem for the hosting region.

Personally, I think there are other options, such as running a more efficient schedule. I don't need a 3rd practice session - I need a true qualifying session that goes green from the start. I also don't need a fun race/practice starts, which are very poorly attended (the ones I've seen). For that matter, I really don't need warm up sessions the morning of the enduro either - or maybe do a single mixed run group warm up. These are all just my opinions, of course. Everyone's situation is different.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
As someone who flew into all 6 races that I ran this year and will do the same next season, it's not about wanting to get home. For me, it's about work. Between a full time job and a family, I have to move heaven and hell to be gone Friday - Sunday as is. If I can't make the late flight Sunday, then I'm screwed for Monday and will reconsider if the race is worth it at all.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that enduros should be shortened to 60 minutes. Until now, I've just chosen not to run the enduro if it's scheduled late. But, I'm also not paying for an enduro that I won't be running, which is a problem for the hosting region.

Personally, I think there are other options, such as running a more efficient schedule. I don't need a 3rd practice session - I need a true qualifying session that goes green from the start. I also don't need a fun race/practice starts, which are very poorly attended (the ones I've seen). For that matter, I really don't need warm up sessions the morning of the enduro either - or maybe do a single mixed run group warm up. These are all just my opinions, of course. Everyone's situation is different.
I'm not trying to be a dick here but,

Your travel burdens are the same as every other racer in the paddock as well as the volunteers that put the event on and have to stay until the very last minute.

Must be nice to fly in for an arrive and drive. I tow. I tow for two days to get to Daytona and two days back. WG is a 7 hour drive that usually doesn't start until quite late in the afternoon.

I also have to take time off and since I'm self employed nothing happens when I'm not there. No staff to watch the store when I'm racing. I also have a wife and daughter. I missed VIR this year because of my daughter's sweet 16 party.

Your travel and logistical woes are no different than anyone else's.

BTW, if a race is too far away for me to get to and back from I don't go. That's true for everyone. I see very few Californians showing up at VIR and precious few folks from DE are racing in Colorado.

And the practice races are necessary for the rookie candidates to complete their racing school requirements.

Maybe Sprint 1 could count for rookie school and do a real qualifying friday afternoon. Some regions do. They did a real quarry at Daytona but Daytona only had two race groups. Maybe the schedule could be looked at but one of the best things about PCA is the track time. Relative to other clubs PCA is an astonishing deal with hours of track time vs an SCCA or NASA weekend.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horus2000

The problem with a "more efficient schedule" is that it means deleting the DE event from most club races. That income is needed to fund the race. Many regions actually lose money on their races despite entry fees, DE fees, and sponsors.

I'm in the same boat with you - I own my own business so not only am I paying to be at the track, I am not making money at the same time. Racing is doubly expensive!

That being said, if I make the effort to get to the track I want the experience to be as enjoyable as possible and that means a real 90 minute enduro.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

Your travel burdens are the same as every other racer in the paddock as well as the volunteers that put the event on and have to stay until the very last minute.

Must be nice to fly in for an arrive and drive. I tow. I tow for two days to get to Daytona and two days back. WG is a 7 hour drive that usually doesn't start until quite late in the afternoon.

I also have to take time off and since I'm self employed nothing happens when I'm not there. No staff to watch the store when I'm racing. I also have a wife and daughter. I missed VIR this year because of my daughter's sweet 16 party.

Your travel and logistical woes are no different than anyone else's.

BTW, if a race is too far away for me to get to and back from I don't go. That's true for everyone. I see very few Californians showing up at VIR and precious few folks from DE are racing in Colorado.

And the practice races are necessary for the rookie candidates to complete their racing school requirements.

Maybe Sprint 1 could count for rookie school and do a real qualifying friday afternoon. Some regions do. They did a real quarry at Daytona but Daytona only had two race groups. Maybe the schedule could be looked at but one of the best things about PCA is the track time. Relative to other clubs PCA is an astonishing deal with hours of track time vs an SCCA or NASA weekend.
I'm not sure exactly what I said that offended you, but yes I get it that many people are involved in putting on a racing weekend. They all have to travel and they all face the same challenges as me, and some much much bigger challenges.

My point was explaining why I've chosen to skip some enduros due to the same travel challenges. I'd love it if we could keep 90 minute enduros while also encouraging more attendance (and getting everyone out of there as early as reasonable on a Sunday). Given the risky financials involved for most club races, a priority should be put on participation including the extra fees for the enduro. No, I don't think we should cut into DE time. But there might be ways to support more race time (not just track time). Other organizations have managed to figure out the rookie school without fun races. If you have 3 race groups, each running a 25 minute fun race - cancelling those would net back 90 minutes once you include transition time. Same with the Sunday warm ups, particularly in those places that have restricted hours to run engines in the morning. Combining those warm ups could allow for earlier enduro starts, depending on the circumstances.

Just trying to find solutions here, not looking for sympathy for an 'arrive and drive' guy.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:34 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I love it when Streak (Hunt) begins a comment with: "I'm not trying to be a dick here but..."

Does that mean he admits he's a dick, but he's not trying? Just axin'
Old 11-25-2018, 05:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
So much for that!

Pass the Grey Poupon please....

Quick Reply: WGI Club Race Enduros