Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA being resurfaced over winter months?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:58 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

State of Texas withholding mucho $$$ from COTA due to late/no filing of required anti human trafficking plan: http://www.espn.co.uk/racing/f1/stor...aces-us-mexico

Last edited by okie981; 02-24-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Here is my take: it's mostly better. There is still some bumpiness in the brake zone for T1, but it is improved. Much better in the T2 and T4-5 areas. T9 is improved. However I don't understand why they didn't just start the T10 new pavement about 50' sooner, as it would have made T9 exit perfect again. T10 is wonderful . Like silk. T11 brake zone is better but still bumpy. Back straight is MUCH better. Carousel is better but there is still a notable bump right where the car is most heavily loaded.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here is my take: it's mostly better. There is still some bumpiness in the brake zone for T1, but it is improved. Much better in the T2 and T4-5 areas. T9 is improved. However I don't understand why they didn't just start the T10 new pavement about 50' sooner, as it would have made T9 exit perfect again. T10 is wonderful . Like silk. T11 brake zone is better but still bumpy. Back straight is MUCH better. Carousel is better but there is still a notable bump right where the car is most heavily loaded.
Thanks for the update Dave, much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Even though I live in Austin, I haven't driven COTA yet. My "home track" is a place called Driveway Austin. The owner must have done an incredible job of preparing the soil, because it's at least ten years old, has been under 8 feet of water many times due to flooding of the Colorado river, and the surface is still in fantastic shape. To be fair, Driveway Austin doesn't experience the earth-moving G forces put down by the F1 cars that COTA sees, but I would encourage anyone in or near Austin to check out Driveway Austin as an alternative. They don't host competitive racing - you have to take their classes, after which you have full access to the sessions offered multiple times per week, but it's really a great track to practice on.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Even though I live in Austin, I haven't driven COTA yet. My "home track" is a place called Driveway Austin. The owner must have done an incredible job of preparing the soil, because it's at least ten years old, has been under 8 feet of water many times due to flooding of the Colorado river, and the surface is still in fantastic shape. To be fair, Driveway Austin doesn't experience the earth-moving G forces put down by the F1 cars that COTA sees, but I would encourage anyone in or near Austin to check out Driveway Austin as an alternative. They don't host competitive racing - you have to take their classes, after which you have full access to the sessions offered multiple times per week, but it's really a great track to practice on.
Huh? I thought driveway austin was so bumpy that it was completely undriveable. Did they resurface it recently?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like they are going to close COTA sometime Dec-Feb to do some digging and repaving?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Any details on what part(s) of the track?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Dec-Feb is kind of odd timing - that's the middle of prime club racing/DE season around here. In TX, the off season is late June to late Sept when the daily temp varies from 100F to surface of the sun minus a bit.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Dec-Feb is kind of odd timing - that's the middle of prime club racing/DE season around here. In TX, the off season is late June to late Sept when the daily temp varies from 100F to surface of the sun minus a bit.
Even if they lost a club event every weekend in this time frame youre talking $1.5M lost revenue max. I am sure that is nothing compared to big event revenue, of which there are none during that time. Construction feasability/cost may also be an issue?

Quick Reply: COTA being resurfaced over winter months?