Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   COTA being resurfaced over winter months? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1111369-cota-being-resurfaced-over-winter-months.html)

okie981 11-12-2018 05:32 PM

COTA being resurfaced over winter months?

Chin Track Days sent out their 2019 schedule, saw this on the first event at COTA.

Jan 26-27, 2019 TENTATIVE. Resurfacing during winter. Will confirm very soon. Watch this space.

Anyone know if this means actual laying down of a new surface or if it just means more of the same grinding that they've done this year already?

ProCoach 11-12-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by okie981 (Post 15426523)
Chin Track Days sent out their 2019 schedule, saw this on the first event at COTA.

Jan 26-27, 2019 TENTATIVE. Resurfacing during winter. Will confirm very soon. Watch this space.

Anyone know if this means actual laying down of a new surface or if it just means more of the same grinding that they've done this year already?

Resurfacing, repave... The grinding's been done a few times...

VR?

raclaims 11-12-2018 05:46 PM

Good...fewer bumps would be a welcome!!

Kevin Fennell 11-12-2018 06:19 PM

The maintenance manager told me they were doing laser scanning in the fall and that there were weeks blocked off in the spring to resurface the track if needed.

Veloce Raptor 11-12-2018 07:31 PM

They are discussing putting a high quality thin surface coat . I'm not sure yet if they have made the decision to move forward, or if they have the budget. I'll post when I know for sure

Matt Romanowski 11-12-2018 08:22 PM

We were surprised at how much grip the surface has lost (so quickly). It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

ProCoach 11-12-2018 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15426773)
They are discussing putting a high quality thin surface coat .

That'll be interesting. Typically, to get the surface coat NOT to ravel (ribbon or bunch up), it needs to be hotter and thicker than just an epoxy bonded sheet.

I've studied a fair number of repaves from the Northeast to the Midwest and the Southeast, starting with the high quality Road Atlanta repave in 1993, and it doesn't take much to screw it up...

Veloce Raptor 11-13-2018 08:37 AM

When I learn more, I'll post. I hear you, Peter...

ProCoach 11-13-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15427748)
When I learn more, I'll post. I hear you, Peter...

You’ve SEEN it, VR!

Veloce Raptor 11-13-2018 09:09 AM

Indeed. :(

mglobe 11-13-2018 10:17 AM

Seems to me like the movement of the substrate is a bigger issue than the grip of the surface, and will be a lot harder to fix. If they put an overlay on it, and then have to grind that a year later to smooth out the bumps again, won’t that be making bigger problems?

Veloce Raptor 11-13-2018 10:32 AM

Yes. However there is nothing that can be done about the substrate. They built on truly wretched soil east of the Balcones Fault. Digging down 10'-15' apparently wasn't enough

Matt Romanowski 11-13-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15427919)
Yes. However there is nothing that can be done about the substrate. They built on truly wretched soil east of the Balcones Fault. Digging down 10'-15' apparently wasn't enough

It's interesting, because I heard from a well experienced civil engineer with experience in that kind of work (at similar facilities) that he didn't think that COTA was well built. His only surprise to the retaining wall entering coming apart was that he was surprised it lasted as long as it did. I'm not a civil engineer, so I have no idea, just relaying what I was told.

Hopefully they have good engineers and contractors for whatever work they do this year. I'm only there a couple of times a year - it's way tougher for you guys who live there.

mglobe 11-13-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 15427919)

I completely understand that fixing the substrate is tough if not impossible. My point, which I didn’t make very well, was that an overlay might complicate removing new bumps that will show up post overlay.

Veloce Raptor 11-13-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mglobe
I completely understand that fixing the substrate is tough if not impossible. My point, which I didn’t make very well, was that an overlay might complicate removing new bumps that will show up post overlay.

You're right