Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to learn xtreme car control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Where to learn xtreme car control?

I've been entertaining the thought of finding an empty parking lot after a rainstorm (or snowstorm) to practice keeping my car in control. In other words, to learn the proper level of steering and throttle inputs while on the edge of car control. Quite frankly, I don't want to learn this on a race track at 90mph. Sure, a skidpad would be nice but I don't think my local PCA chapter has a skidpad event...
Old 01-27-2004, 06:40 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch out for Officer Friendly if you intend to use an open parking lot...In my area they frown on this kind of behavior. I can't figure out why since our local drivers are so bad anyway....

Cheers, James
Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Eric, not that I can directly answer your question, but you can try your luck at your Audi club or Rally club. I attended Audi Quattro event with my A6 3 years ago at http://www.teamOneil.com I learn so much about weight trasnfer and I agree with you, it is much better to learn the many aspect of control in 5 mph than 90 mph.

Tim O'Neil is a very famous rally champion, and his facility is awesome.

Last edited by Novice; 01-28-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about SCCA Solo II (Autocross... Those are on skid pads and have plenty of oh sh!$# room!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Yo, Eric,

Before I clicked on the thread, my first thought was, " Practice on a snowy parking lot." It's super slippery and of a low enough speed that you can learn how to hold a slide with the throttle and steering wheel and pretend that you're Vatanen/McCrae/Mikkola. Just watch those parking berms and light posts!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In my opinion, it's not as useful to simply practice where it's slippery, since there aren't specific enough parameters involved. You're just sliding around.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure plenty of pro drivers got their start "practising" in situations like parking lots, backroads, farms, etc. However if the car snaps you can lose it really fast and hit a curb or go down a ditch. Beware - it happens really fast.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:59 AM
DAR951
Pro

Chicago? Winter? What are you wating for? I'm gussing you didn't grow up there, 'cause if you had, the question would most likely have been, "is it OK to use my neighbor's front yard? (aka "Lawn shot").

Serriously, don't know many cops that would bat an eye... at most, ask you to leave if they had a complaint.

Also, gotta disagree with JackOlsen... there's a lot you can learn "just sliding around". Among other things, practice a smooth transition from hungout, back to straight by balancing throttle and steering (see the "tank slapper" thread somewhere near the top of this board.) Have fun.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:03 AM
James Achard
Pro

This is the way I learned to drive at six. Whenever there was a snowday, my Dad would bring me to the local parking lot and put me on his lap. He would operate the pedals and I would do the steering. We would do figure eights around two lamp poles that were fairly far apart. Since we were driving a VW beetle, this was my first taste of rear engined cars, as you can see, the bug stuck...What a great memory...We would be there for a while sliding around with me getting used to "catching" the car. Now it's quite natural for me...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

James

Great story
I should have done that with my kids.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric: autocross is really the best way to learn car control.

The Chicago PCA region hold autocross events. Click here for their autox webpage.
From the Chicago PCA website:
Autocrossing events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip. You run against a timing clock with competitors who have a similar Porsche to yours. Individuals who have the best times for their classes are determined the winners and will receive a trophy at the end of the day.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

There is lots of useful info on that site: check it out, and email Jeff Girard, the Chicago PCA's autox chair.

I am unsure of the exact location of the events: perhaps when they publish the 2004 schedule, the will also list the sites.

HTH,
-Z-man.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:57 PM
StLChris
AutoX

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
James

Great story
I should have done that with my kids.
Yea right.

You're probably one of those guys that always said "A car is not a toy".
Old 01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Is it just me or does it seem like people who grew up with a great deal of snow, such as the Finns, have an uncanny ability to control a car? Names like Mikkola, Hakkinnen, and Vatanen always conjure up drivers on the hairy edge of control, flinging cars around on a grippy and slippery surfaces alike, looking at their world through the side windows.

Also, let's not forget the legendary Gilles Villeneuve who learned vehicular control by racing snowmobiles.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

StLChris

No, I never said such a thing. That was your mother.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this: op117.wmv

Quick Reply: Where to learn xtreme car control?