Sponsored by:

Question about Tire debris on Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
you have to be talking about off the wheels, as your post indicated and referenced. but on the tread? the only guys ive ever seen take rubber off the tire, because its near welded to the surface, even warm, is with the hot powered puddy knife. the rubber i picked up in the race , will probably last me 200miles of street driving before it all comes off.
I mentioned tires too. I scrub off tires with a hard hot lap or two, or when cold at home via screwdriver. C2s, Trofeo R, R6, R7 ... all of em over many years. Street driving would take a long time, not enough temp to scrub, just slow wear off. Maybe our track surfaces are more abrasive up here. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
I mentioned tires too. I scrub off tires with a hard hot lap or two, or when cold at home via screwdriver. C2s, Trofeo R, R6, R7 ... all of em over many years. Street driving would take a long time, not enough temp to scrub, just slow wear off. Maybe our track surfaces are more abrasive up here. Good luck.
maybe the rubber you pick up has more teflon in it... i just tired to pull a glob off the A7 from Sonoma in my garage and had to stop, it was going to take a very long time. hey, whatever works.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:01 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
maybe the rubber you pick up has more teflon in it... i just tired to pull a glob off the A7 from Sonoma in my garage and had to stop, it was going to take a very long time. hey, whatever works.
I would guess a level 1 or 2 FIA approved surface would be less abrasive too, or running Michelin Cup car tires, Pirelli DHs, would make the job more difficult. If I could only afford to use them
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Though I seldom have an issue between sessions (except for when the rubber blob get stuck between the wheel and the brake caliper-what a mess that is). I always totally clean the insides of the rim when I get home. The blobs come off easily when the wheels are cold, though the streaks require chemicals (I use Klasse AOI). This is also a great opportunity to closely inspect each wheel for stress cracks and damage. It’s also important to get all the brake dust off ASAP before it hardens.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:59 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Knock big clag off inside rim with long screwdriver. Clag on tires comes off in 1 warmup lap.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Knock big clag off inside rim with long screwdriver. Clag on tires comes off in 1 warmup lap.
Bad buildup does not come off with driving. I've taken a blowtorch and puddy knife to tires a time or two to remove clag.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Heat gun and a paint scraper
Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Heat gun and a paint scraper
does that count as a heat cycle? trust me ........it comes off the tires with a few laps, if it doesnt, it just means you picked up more rubber ....... recently , at the run offs. i ran the same hoosiers in two sessions and the build up was on one side of the tire. flipped them and the build up was then on the other sides of the tire (same side relative to the car)... unless it was a magic trick, the build up always comes off , unless you are just driving survey laps............or two and from the track.........which i use to save the actual race tire. by the time the build up is removed by driving, its race time again! no scraping necessary

Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Clag on tires comes off in 1 warmup lap.
+1
May take more than 1 warmup lap but clag does come off (or evens itself out) once tires get worked up to temperature. If it doesn't, just deliberately work the problematic tire harder in a few corners and vibrations should go away. As already suggested, best is to not pick up clag on cool-down lap and to not leave it to cement itself into the tire as it cools down. In 12 years DE and 9 years racing I've never had to scrape any clag off tires with a screwdriver, torch, or a knife. I'll ask my race-support guys if they'd ever done it, but I'd be surprised if they did.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there a wax or a product we can put on the wheels that will help keep the rubber from sticking tot he wheels?
Old 11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't worry about clag until you get home - enjoy the time at the track.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stujelly
Is there a wax or a product we can put on the wheels that will help keep the rubber from sticking tot he wheels?
Sofro and his guys back in the "day" , showed me that simple car wax was enough to make the clag come off easier between sessions. however the best bet is to do this when the wheels are hot and so is the rubber. when it cools, and there is a lot of it, it can be a chore. i use a damp dish towel with gloves and it seems to work well.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:25 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

I use REJEX wax. Amazing stuff.

Quick Reply: Question about Tire debris on Rims