Sponsored by:

Question about Tire debris on Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Question about Tire debris on Rims

Can the hardened tire debris that cakes up on the rims cause a rim to get out of balance? Should I try to remove it in between sessions. I noticed a lot of vibration that seemed to come from my right front wheel on my .2 GT3 during my last session of the day. The only thing I noticed when I inspected was a lot of caked on rubber from the day on the rim. I am running Hoosiers and Track rims. The Hoosiers are done and will be replaced before my next event. Obviously I will have rims cleaned and rebalanced. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
Can the hardened tire debris that cakes up on the rims cause a rim to get out of balance? Should I try to remove it in between sessions. I noticed a lot of vibration that seemed to come from my right front wheel on my .2 GT3 during my last session of the day. The only thing I noticed when I inspected was a lot of caked on rubber from the day on the rim. I am running Hoosiers and Track rims. The Hoosiers are done and will be replaced before my next event. Obviously I will have rims cleaned and rebalanced. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks
yes, the debris will always be a problem if an excessive amount accumlates in the rim. generally, you want to remove it or most of it between sessions. if there is a lot, it can cause vibration. i dont know if you saw my thread from auto club speedway, but i had a LOT of pick up but it was pretty even so balance wasnt that bad. i use a long flat head screwdriver to push off the big pieces between sessions, but generally, im always changing tires between sessions and always clean up the rims.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
Yes - clean them between sessions. The fronts will be worse than the rears.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Yes - clean them between sessions. The fronts will be worse than the rears.
so will the outside tires be worse as well. the more they are the "outside tire" the more they will gather pickup
Old 10-27-2018, 11:32 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Most often its clag/rubber on the tires surface that causes the vibration. It clears away quickly depending on temps and how hard you are running. If between sessions or tire changes as others mention clean tires with screwdriver or on wheels it can usually be wiped off.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they don't clean up easily
wood rasp
Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nolimits
Most often its clag/rubber on the tires surface that causes the vibration. It clears away quickly depending on temps and how hard you are running. If between sessions or tire changes as others mention clean tires with screwdriver or on wheels it can usually be wiped off.
no, this never comes off easy from the tire surface, especially by using a screwdriver. maybe a powered hot-knife. and, it comes off by natural driving on the track.. just stay off the marbles.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

Tip: To avoid pickup on your tire surface, make sure you stay on the racing line during your cool down lap. Stay on the racing line until the last moment before exiting the track.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people driving over all the clag on the cool down lap.....

Last edited by winders; 10-29-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

We need this dude...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Tip: To avoid pickup on your tire surface, make sure stay on the racing line during your cool down lap. Stay on the racing line until the last moment before exiting the track.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people driving over all the clag on the cool down lap.....
I do this on the last cool down lap of the race weekend (i drive over as much clag as possible off line) , as i would then use "OPR" (others people's rubber) to driver the next 500 miles on. (when i drive to the track, or before the winter off season) otherwise, yep that helps a lot to reduce "clag" pickup
Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
We need this dude...

This guy is my gyro!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
no, this never comes off easy from the tire surface, especially by using a screwdriver. maybe a powered hot-knife. and, it comes off by natural driving on the track.. just stay off the marbles.
Never said it comes off easy, but screwdriver works fine for me all the time. Careful with a knife, might take off more than wanted, but we're all looking for lowering car weight !
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
We need this dude...

Guess I know what I'm having for lunch.....
Old 10-31-2018, 07:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nolimits
Never said it comes off easy, but screwdriver works fine for me all the time. Careful with a knife, might take off more than wanted, but we're all looking for lowering car weight !
you have to be talking about off the wheels, as your post indicated and referenced. but on the tread? the only guys ive ever seen take rubber off the tire, because its near welded to the surface, even warm, is with the hot powered puddy knife. the rubber i picked up in the race , will probably last me 200miles of street driving before it all comes off.

Quick Reply: Question about Tire debris on Rims