Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my pads prior to a track weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
I'm going against the flow here for good reason.

Your rear pads are thinner than your front pads. That tells me that you are the type of driver that applies too much throttle on turns and PSM is clamping down on the brakes while doing it's torque vectoring routine and preventing wheel spin on acceleration. If you do it that much on the street, you will do it many times worse on the track. I personally have seen people with more rear pad than you currently have destroy their pads in one day. You are doing a 2 day event. Odds are that you will need new pads before the weekend is over unless you completely change your driving style and eliminate your bad habits of brake on early/ brake off early/ accelerate too early..... You can't argue against the facts, the rear pads are thinner and there is only one way that you can wear the rear pads faster than the front pads.

Brake pads are consumable items, don't get cheap by trying to get one last track day to somehow save money (in your mind), they can cost you many times more than their worth in a ruined session.

Once again, MK, stop giving advice on safety items. You are dead wrong again. Those pads are not in their prime. "Prime of their life" for every brake pad is right after they are properly bedded when new. Grip level is never constant; as the pad wears and gets thinner, ultimate grip is reduced. EVERY racer knows that.

Edit to Add:
The cardinal rule regarding brakes is if you have to ask, then YES, you should change them.

Rule #1. When in doubt about any safety item, change it now.

Rear pads start out with less material than front pads, same as different thicknesses between front and rear rotors. It has to do with brake bias and stability for starters. Go look on the GT4 forum as an example and search for life of pads; difference in longevity between front and rear by trusted and capable DE'ers, etc. driving a variety of different tracks.

Are you trying to compete with MK for misinformation?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExMB
Rear pads start out with less material than front pads, same as different thicknesses between front and rear rotors. It has to do with brake bias and stability for starters.
Pads for my 987.1 were the same thickness front and rear, both new OEM and new Hawk pads. Maybe there is a difference on his 718, not sure. There is no doubt that all first timers and most everyone in Green and Blue groups do in fact wear their rear pads prematurely due to improper brake application. You may disagree, but it certainly isn't bs as you claim. I've instructed enough students to know this is fact. I've also helped many a newbie at the track get their brakes working again after cooking their fluid. Everyone of them started with half worn pads and ended up with no brakes at some point.

Reread this:
Edit to Add:
The cardinal rule regarding brakes is if you have to ask, then YES, you should change them.

Rule #1. When in doubt about any safety item, change it now.
Are you trying to compete with MK for misinformation?
LOL... No one can compete with him.....
Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go look on the GT4 forum as an example and search for life of pads; difference in longevity between front and rear by trusted and capable DE'ers, etc. driving a variety of different tracks.
Owning a GT4 doesn't automatically qualify anyone as an expert or as having superior knowledge. I've seen instructors with GT4s that also drove early brake on/ eary brake off/ too much power before the apex who also ruined rear brakes at the rate of 2 sets of rears for every set of fronts. I would catch them in the technical sections of the track. They would power away on the straight and I would reel them in in the corners, consistently.
Being a member of the GT4 "club" only means that you spent more money on a car that you probably can't drive to it's full potential.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:02 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I like to look at it this way. Figure out what new brake pads costs, say $100 for rears just for round numbers. Then figure out IF there is any chance you are changing them out early, and roughly how early.

If the answer is yes - there is a chance I'm changing them out early... and I think it could be 20% early... then you just cost yourself twenty bucks. And so on. Kinda puts it in perspective. For the cost of DE $20 is a throw-away number.

Bottom line, the $$ harm of changing them out early is usually minimal, the risk of leaving them late high...
Old 10-12-2018, 12:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

bottom line, you dont need to change the pads, THEN you have to worry about bedding in a set during your day and it will distract and probably compromise many laps for what? nothing! your pads are perfect, its not a matter if "you think you should change them, change them" , its knowledge. we are trying to send you some of this knowledge here.........your pads are perfectly fine. change them out when the pad thickness is a little more than the backing plate. about 5mm.

as a side note, there are a few reasons why the front pads were wearing less than the rear pads. first of all, the obvious, the rear pads can be smaller in size and the bias for a little pedal pressure might be more than with high brake pressure.... this is common on street cars.... i just hit 160k miles on a set of stock pads on a chevy tahoe, and the rears went first... if i was racing the tahoe. , the fronts would have gone first. bias, and driver style can determine front to rear pad wear.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:17 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I ran the event with no problems. Definitely took a bite out of the pads - thinking I'll replace them before the next event.

rear pads

front pads

other components
Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Good call - great pic on the track!

Quick Reply: Should I replace my pads prior to a track weekend?