Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my pads prior to a track weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Should I replace my pads prior to a track weekend?

I'll be doing a 2-day event at Thunder Hill next week. I didn't look closely at the pads when they were new so I don't really know what point 50% thickness corresponds to. Should I replace the rear pads? I do not have PTV.

This is a 2017 718 Boxster S.

Rear brake

Front brake

Old 10-04-2018, 03:32 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Plenty of pad life left on those. And, Thunderhill is not hard on your brakes.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Easy rule: Replace when the friction material is thinner than the backer plate.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Easy rule: Replace when the friction material is thinner than the backer plate.
This.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the guideline my region uses, but you might want to ask your tech person and take a spare set of pads. You will need them at some time in the future so might as well have the umbrella and never need it. It depends on the track and you as a driver. The faster group you run in the more heat you put in to them and if the pad gets too thin you end up boiling the fluid, which isn't exactly a good thing to do.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:52 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Those should be fine but monitor them each session, you may get some brake fade as they get thinner and thinner so have fresh fluid in the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing since those are rear pad, you have at least 3-5 or more track days left on those pads.

-Jason
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
This.
Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
I'm guessing since those are rear pad, you have at least 3-5 or more track days left on those pads.

-Jason
both of those are in perfect shape for Racing or DE'ing. prime of their life. yes, when the pad is the thickness of the backing plate, pull them. 5mm is the min I use.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Good rules above but always have an extra set of pads in your trailer and you don't have to worry. Replacing pads is easy.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Replacing pads is easy.
Depends on the car. On his car not so easy since the fronts require caliper removal due to the closed design as well as the hardline connections.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Depends on the car. On his car not so easy since the fronts require caliper removal due to the closed design as well as the hardline connections.
OK, so its not slap them in without taking off the calipers but I have been changing brake pads since I was 12. Even in the hardest situation it is not so hard.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
OK, so its not slap them in without taking off the calipers but I have been changing brake pads since I was 12. Even in the hardest situation it is not so hard.
Your suggestion implied at the track. Try it on one of those cars, newer designs. Those hardline brackets are a b!tch since the are inside the wheel well. On top of that Porsche requires new caliper bolts be used every time the calipers are removed.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Your suggestion implied at the track. Try it on one of those cars, newer designs. Those hardline brackets are a b!tch since the are inside the wheel well. On top of that Porsche requires new caliper bolts be used every time the calipers are removed.
I don't disagree with you. I'm merely pointing out that where there is a will there is a way. It is always much easier to do these things in a shop or at home surrounded by your tools.

That being said, I have had tons of parts changed at the track, including my engine a couple of years ago. Not ideal, but I have seen it all.

To sum it up, I agree with you and would rather leave some meat on the old pads, and change them at home, to avoid changing them at tracks. The old pads can become "emergency stock" to keep in the trailer.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I'll be doing a 2-day event at Thunder Hill next week. I didn't look closely at the pads when they were new so I don't really know what point 50% thickness corresponds to. Should I replace the rear pads? I do not have PTV.

This is a 2017 718 Boxster S.

Rear brake

Front brake
I'm going against the flow here for good reason.

Your rear pads are thinner than your front pads. That tells me that you are the type of driver that applies too much throttle on turns and PSM is clamping down on the brakes while doing it's torque vectoring routine and preventing wheel spin on acceleration. If you do it that much on the street, you will do it many times worse on the track. I personally have seen people with more rear pad than you currently have destroy their pads in one day. You are doing a 2 day event. Odds are that you will need new pads before the weekend is over unless you completely change your driving style and eliminate your bad habits of brake on early/ brake off early/ accelerate too early..... You can't argue against the facts, the rear pads are thinner and there is only one way that you can wear the rear pads faster than the front pads.

Brake pads are consumable items, don't get cheap by trying to get one last track day to somehow save money (in your mind), they can cost you many times more than their worth in a ruined session.

Once again, MK, stop giving advice on safety items. You are dead wrong again. Those pads are not in their prime. "Prime of their life" for every brake pad is right after they are properly bedded when new. Grip level is never constant; as the pad wears and gets thinner, ultimate grip is reduced. EVERY racer knows that.

Edit to Add:
The cardinal rule regarding brakes is if you have to ask, then YES, you should change them.

Rule #1. When in doubt about any safety item, change it now.

Last edited by Brian C in Az; 10-07-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

^Meh

For my car and my safety, throwing those out is a waste of money. But driving to avaoid rear psm brake wear is a valid thought.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my pads prior to a track weekend?