Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Here is the web cast live video feed!! (with the announcers flavor)
If you want to watch the races live on saturday AM.. here is the link.

The SCCA National Championships are this Saturday. If you want to see the race live on the web... Here is the link The GT2 race is 10:40am on Saturday Oct 20th. It's a crazy fast field. https://www.scca.com/events/1990668-...essions/latest . If you miss it, it will be on CBS sports in a couple of weeks after they produce it.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Good luck Mark. Go fast, race well, be safe. And have fun.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Good luck Mark. Go fast, race well, be safe. And have fun.
Thanks! Got to hold the flag up high for our the old Porsches! should be a fun time. Im just excited to find those two seconds. Too bad they cost so much and are disposable! ;(
Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Good luck Mark. Have a great race.

Update: Congrats on your 10th place finish. Nice drive.

Last edited by David993S; 10-20-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from the Midwest and having raced against Andrew A a number of times, I was very impressed by Kip in the GT2 race. The same with Olson in the T1 race. Those NSX’s were quick.

I’m out here racing in T2 in a 2003 Porsche CS. Qualified on pole by 0.2 seconds. Should be a fun race.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Have you seen the times so far...............want to bet?? Kip Olsen, winner of T1... no contest. andrew will be crying for his mommy afterwards. (as much as i like Andrew, it is the truth...) Kip did one lap... and came in.. 2 seconds faster. funny! https://www.scca.com/pages/2018-runoffs-results
I don't think Andrew is crying having put it on pole. Did you happen to hear why the NSX slowed in final qualifying compared to what it had run previously? I understand from the announcers that there was a question of the cars eligibility in T1?

In any event the NSX did certainly look like it was in a different class as he got past Andrew and simply drove away. After that the NSX seemed to be well driven the entire race.

How was the GT2 race for you? You can say you beat Andrew as well!!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:16 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I raced prior to 2012 in T1 before going to T2 and then trying to straddle T1 and T2 in 2018 at Runoffs. There is no way that nsx is a T1 car. It totally violates the T1 philosophy. If in 2013 we could havr gotten away with what the nsx has in 2018 the core of our T1 class would not have expatriated to NASA and destroy our class. The NSX has about +3" width track on each side and a sequential gearbox and blower!! In T1-LP to be in the class I could only run in T2 prep without my T2 intake restrictor and 75lbs less weight!! I did not even have a knife in today's T1 gun fight. I had a plastic spoon. I'll be back in T2 for 2019...
Old 10-21-2018, 01:34 AM
cracknut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I raced prior to 2012 in T1 before going to T2 and then trying to straddle T1 and T2 in 2018 at Runoffs. There is no way that nsx is a T1 car. It totally violates the T1 philosophy. If in 2013 we could havr gotten away with what the nsx has in 2018 the core of our T1 class would not have expatriated to NASA and destroy our class. The NSX has about +3" width track on each side and a sequential gearbox and blower!! In T1-LP to be in the class I could only run in T2 prep without my T2 intake restrictor and 75lbs less weight!! I did not even have a knife in today's T1 gun fight. I had a plastic spoon. I'll be back in T2 for 2019...
Racing is full of examples where 1 clever team found the optimal car/setup for a series. Braun did it in F1 in 2009 and it's happened numerous times before in SCCA too. In this case STO was the destination for ex-World Challenge cars and that's the spec-line the NSX was built to. STO got lumped into T1. Probably should have been GT2 but that's not what happened.

Regardless, it's a beautiful car and Kip drove a flawless race despite Phoenix trying to get it banned by protesting trivial things like not having an Acura badge and non-OEM mirrors.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:51 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes he drove well. In june he got the t1 track record at sonoma majors. At runoffs 2 months later he found almost 5 seconds....
Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Is anyone else having issues with the video feed? It keeps freezing for me.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SM#80
Coming from the Midwest and having raced against Andrew A a number of times, I was very impressed by Kip in the GT2 race. The same with Olson in the T1 race. Those NSX’s were quick.

I’m out here racing in T2 in a 2003 Porsche CS. Qualified on pole by 0.2 seconds. Should be a fun race.

Nice Work!!! good luck in the race... ill watch! watching my pals in EP and the T3 race earlier. Kip Olsen did drive a great race and his times were amazing too. (running on Dots) in T1. the black NSX is my biggest competitor normally in the club regional races. Igor. same as Olsens NSX but black and not as tuned.

Originally Posted by David993S
Good luck Mark. Have a great race.

Update: Congrats on your 10th place finish. Nice drive.
thanks!!!! so much fun dicing with the TA2 car that was in my speed realm. and, of course using the new tires... so much fun having some grip. beat my best race time by 2 seconds that stood over the past 15years!

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I don't think Andrew is crying having put it on pole. Did you happen to hear why the NSX slowed in final qualifying compared to what it had run previously? I understand from the announcers that there was a question of the cars eligibility in T1?

In any event the NSX did certainly look like it was in a different class as he got past Andrew and simply drove away. After that the NSX seemed to be well driven the entire race.

How was the GT2 race for you? You can say you beat Andrew as well!!
yeah, there were personal protests running all over the place....yes, the NSX was being protested... but its all to the rules and yes, the rules are pretty odd considering the spirit of how T1 was formed.

Funny, yes not only was my prediction right. (not that much of a stretch to tout , but i was able to beat Andrew too! ............. actually, i really like andrew and his dad... very sorry to see him break in GT2.

yep........its become a total joke.... Before T1 was stock vets with maybe a set of headers. the vipers came out and were waxing them, THEN, T1 started downhill with the concessions....and it never stopped..........the nail in the coffin, was when STO (which was for x-world challenge car ,even as low of performance as mine) were merged to T1... why they did this, is unknown..... So,yes,ALL the WCGT cars allowed for car widths to be 3" wider than stock as long as fenders covered wheels....... NSX got a blower.. (Peter Cunningham NSX WC GT 2002), it also was allowed sequential shift................. The vets are not too much further behind when you think about it.... you think Andrew's vet is near T1 spec from days past in spirit? running a 1:41? you know that the best drivers in the world were running in Speed GT at this track, slightly faster........And by the way, that was SpeedGT, not T1. I think the only way to fix this, is to do some type of HP/weight is probably required now.

Originally Posted by cracknut
Racing is full of examples where 1 clever team found the optimal car/setup for a series. Braun did it in F1 in 2009 and it's happened numerous times before in SCCA too. In this case STO was the destination for ex-World Challenge cars and that's the spec-line the NSX was built to. STO got lumped into T1. Probably should have been GT2 but that's not what happened.

Regardless, it's a beautiful car and Kip drove a flawless race despite Phoenix trying to get it banned by protesting trivial things like not having an Acura badge and non-OEM mirrors.
my thoughts exactly.. just said just about the same thing. GT2 is not much better.. we have GT3 997-1s running as welll as TransAm 2 cars.... the classes are BROKE.

Yes he drove well. In june he got the t1 track record at sonoma majors. At runoffs 2 months later he found almost 5 seconds....
Actually, I dont think it was much different. i know this because Darrrell was blown away about how many mods the NSX had and he was a couple seconds back with mustang, way down on power. I think darrelllll was 1:44 and kip was in the 1:42 range, right?
EDIT: yes, it was 4 seconds. 1:39.0 to the record which was 1:43.0. but keep in mind , race to race it was 1:41 to 1:43. .. they didn't have much time to test and certainly didnt want to show all their cards at the Majors in July.

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Is anyone else having issues with the video feed? It keeps freezing for me.
yes,.... frustrating , right in the EP race with a HUGE off that froze!

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-21-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just gonna say, that mustang just isn't as fast as the Corvette they ran. The results can be skewed by an inferior chassy. I assume they went Mustang because of their world challenge partnership with Ford Performance. Andrew has run away and left the field for years.

Would have been a better race with the Phoenix Corvette.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mark kibort

yeah, there were personal protests running all over the place....yes, the NSX was being protested... but its all to the rules and yes, the rules are pretty odd considering the spirit of how T1 was formed.

Funny, yes not only was my prediction right. (not that much of a stretch to tout , but i was able to beat Andrew too! ............. actually, i really like andrew and his dad... very sorry to see him break in GT2.
Andrew did make the comment that it was just interesting to see it just go away. He felt that in the NSX he may have had a shot at winning GT1 and almost certainly would have taken the top spot in the GT2 field.

For GT2 if I am not mistaken their GT2 Corvette was sold earlier in the year.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SM#80

Congrats!! Great win!! Fun to watch!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats John! You and Mark put on a clinic this week in T2.
Unfortunately that probably means my "new" T2 996 will now need more weight next year .. oh well.

Quick Reply: Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018