Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018

I was reading an article in the SCCA magazine that always goes into detail about their predictions for the Runoffs. In T1 , they have Andrew A. as the repeat winner who is always strong in his mustang in both T1 and GT2. One of my close friends Darrel A, was leading the Runoff race at laguna, when his engine let go. that car is gone and he is attacking it with a lower powered version that might be up front too. this year, I think Andrew will have his work cut out for him and my prediction will be Kip's NSX. as long as he doesnt break or crash.........this guy will win T1. (only honorable mention by SCCA , being near the top 3) . However, there are a couple of fast cup cars that might make a podium too...

GT2, the hodge podge of production and tube framed "nascar wanna be's", who knows. Andrew A is picked to double and win that too by the odd makers.
I'll be in this group as well, and will be ecstatic to be in the top half of the field. so much power and technology in this group... my 31 year old racer is aching at the rubber bushings! Im hoping my facelift of new tires might help hang, for a bit anyway.

Here is the Kip NSX machine.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the 928. Best of luck!

I will be surprised if Andrew does not win his classes. With nearly 30 National championships last time I asked his father Joe Aquilante how many they had, his team knows how and what they need to do in order to win and he's simply one of the very best amateur racers in the country.

He's the benchmark I use here in the East, he and Corey Friedman, to see if I am putting my car in the right place.

Hope you get some good weather. Take care of that car. It's awesome IMO!!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I will be in that T1 group in an under-optimized T1-LP car. My goal will be to have those guys only lap me once. There is no competing with those guys. At Indy they brought out their back-up cars because they did not like their laptimes. I was happy to just have new tires for the race.

JoeA and crew are very nice people. They know how to play the game. They are also for hire. If I spent $$ a year traveling around with them there is no doubt I would be at the pointy end of the field.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Good luck out there guys! Any other rennlisters at the Runoffs this year?

Was gonna save my pennies for VIR next year, but between that and other development priorities, now it's looking more like I'll be back for the 2020 Runoffs at RA...

Old 10-03-2018, 03:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I will be in that T1 group in an under-optimized T1-LP car. My goal will be to have those guys only lap me once. There is no competing with those guys. At Indy they brought out their back-up cars because they did not like their laptimes. I was happy to just have new tires for the race.

JoeA and crew are very nice people. They know how to play the game. They are also for hire. If I spent $$ a year traveling around with them there is no doubt I would be at the pointy end of the field.
yes, good guys, JoeA gave me a GREAT set of used hoosiers last year for a good deal. andrew is a nice guy too and a good stick. spoke to him for a while at the runnoffs at laguna a few years back.
Originally Posted by Racingswh

I will be surprised if Andrew does not win his classes. With nearly 30 National championships last time I asked his father Joe Aquilante how many they had, his team knows how and what they need to do in order to win and he's simply one of the very best amateur racers in the country.

He's the benchmark I use here in the East, he and Corey Friedman, to see if I am putting my car in the right place.

Thanks a lot! Ill try and keep it safe and keep it in the "race" !

Looking forward to the event. Be prepared to be surprised however, as the NSX will mop him up as they will be no match for Kip in the NSX ..Sorry, Andrew will have to settle for 2nd place.

He would have been likely beat then by Anderson back at the last laguna runnoffs in 2014 with his mustang which was on par with andrew's at laguna, His car lost an engine. This year, however, i dont think reliability will be a concern with the NSX. Anderson is there with another newer mustang. Unfortunately, he is using one of the new ones with unprove, and not dialed in , race mods on it... It's great looking and handles well, which will help at sears, but just really down on power vs Andrews. (anderson sold, his Runoff car after he fixed the engine issues) However, look for #50 as he might be in contention for a podium spot too. Anyone running in the 1:43s or better has a chance

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Good luck out there guys! Any other rennlisters at the Runoffs this year?

Was gonna save my pennies for VIR next year, but between that and other development priorities, now it's looking more like I'll be back for the 2020 Runoffs at RA...
RA! that's worth waiting for, however, runnoffs at VIR would be a great one too!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Anderson vs Andrew at the 2014 runoffs

2014 mustang runoff car

this years 2018 runoff car

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-03-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

We will see. Should be a great event!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:17 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

How is giant fender flares on that Mustang and aftermarket aero legal in T2? I'm not even sure that is legal in T1. I totally suspect what is under the hood too. Isn't the mustang limited to 275 tires too?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

How is giant fender flares on that Mustang and aftermarket aero legal in T2? I'm not even sure that is legal in T1. I totally suspect what is under the hood too. Isn't the mustang limited to 275 tires too?
In my opinion, its all a total joke now. btw, the mustang is T1 now. even still , how are cars able to widen their wheel base by a foot... how is that "T1". T1 used to be the stock car, on some larger tires and rims with bolt on suspension. kind of like GS used to be. wait until you see that NSX......... I think what happened, was when Vipers dominated they started giving major concessions to the vets, and what about the mustangs.. they became the benefactors of ALL this "equalization", slipping in the Boss 302 at the perfect time,when they could put down 440rwhp with a little tune work, and nothing else. anyway, have fun out there. you will have the best seat in the house!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

We will see. Should be a great event!
Yes it will! and we will see the NSX win, with no issues, UNLESS he brakes or spins on his own. you heard it here first! Lets talk monday on the results show here on Monday after the event.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If you look at the rules, they gave all the x-world challenge GT cars, a spot in T1..... and this was the old STO class by the way... SO, in WCGT, you got to widen your car by 3". as long as the fenders covered the tires. NOW, T1 is just world challenge gt of the 2000s. so, i would like to trade my spot in GT2 that i created and put in for a spot in T1. at least that would give me a chance at a top 10 finish if built to the limits. GT2?? not so much............TA2 is the standard or porsche cup 991-1. also getting out of control.. they are running 1:37s today at Sonoma. IM on brand new stickers and running 2 seconds faster and still will have a hard time breaking into the top 13..........but the race is long.. that can work for or against me!

Where are you pitted ?? come up and say hello up at the american v8 supercar shop up top garages, OR see you at the dinner tomorrow night. dont know if im going to qual tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Have you seen the times so far...............want to bet?? Kip Olsen, winner of T1... no contest. andrew will be crying for his mommy afterwards. (as much as i like Andrew, it is the truth...) Kip did one lap... and came in.. 2 seconds faster. funny! https://www.scca.com/pages/2018-runoffs-results
Old 10-18-2018, 09:15 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 529 Likes on 284 Posts

I hear ya about GT2....our little 914 is a GT2 car unfortunately.... I’ve done one SCCA race weekend, just a local regional race.. I won the group with all those big bore cars! Thought I could compete....then went to a Majors at VIR to watch....the SLOWEST car in the group was sub 2:00 laps. My best is 5+ seconds slower...fastest cars in the group we’re doing in the high 1:40’s. Yikes!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I hear ya about GT2....our little 914 is a GT2 car unfortunately.... I’ve done one SCCA race weekend, just a local regional race.. I won the group with all those big bore cars! Thought I could compete....then went to a Majors at VIR to watch....the SLOWEST car in the group was sub 2:00 laps. My best is 5+ seconds slower...fastest cars in the group we’re doing in the high 1:40’s. Yikes!!
its getting a little crazy... or should i say, crazier..... these GT2 cars are now clicking into the 1:37.0 times as of today, and again, that was one lap on stickers.... (session was called due to a car blowing an engine and oiling the track) to put that i perspective, that is a full 3 seconds faster than when WCGT came to this track config.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:13 AM
cracknut
Rennlist Member

Races start today! I'll be there Saturday all day spectating.
Or watch live:
https://www.scca.com/articles/201053...ve-at-scca-com

I competed at the 2014 Runoffs in my Honda S2000 but couldn't make it this year due to building up a new car.

Friday, Oct. 19
8:30 a.m.: GT-1 (GT1)
9:35 a.m.: Formula Continental® (FC)
10:40 a.m.: GT-Lite (GTL)
11:45 a.m.: Formula Vee® (FV)
1:30 p.m.: H Production (HP)
2:35 p.m.: Formula Mazda (FM)
3:40 p.m.: American Sedan® (AS)
4:45 p.m.: Formula Enterprises (FE) & Formula Enterprises 2 (FE2)

Saturday, Oct. 20
8:30 a.m.: Super Touring® Under (STU)
9:35 a.m.: Prototype 2 (P2)
10:40 a.m.: GT-2 (GT2)
11:45 a.m.: Formula F (FF) & Formula 500 (F5)
1:30 p.m.: Spec Miata (SM)
2:35 p.m.: Touring 1 (T1)
3:40 p.m.: F Production (FP)
4:45 p.m.: Touring 4 (T4) & B-Spec (BS)

Sunday, Oct. 21
8:30 a.m.: Touring 3 (T3)
9:35 a.m.: E Production (EP)
10:40 a.m.: Prototype 1 (P1)
11:45 a.m.: Super Touring® Lite (STL)
1:30 p.m.: Spec Racer Ford Gen3 (SRF3)
2:35 p.m.: Touring 2 (T2)
3:40 p.m.: GT-3 (GT3)
4:45 p.m.: Formula Atlantic® (FA) & Formula 1000 (FB)

Quick Reply: Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018