How are your DE groups organized?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,487 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by Aero0T2
I know 20 minute run groups are pretty standard in many track days, and it is a good amount of track time. However, if they went down to 15 minutes and got a couple extra run groups, it might be more fun even if it's for slightly less time.

I'm not in a super fast car, a Cayman R, and the couple of 944s and 986s out in White weren't really a problem holding up traffic, but I can imagine that with some seriously fast cars in Black, coming up on a slow car in a blind corner could be dangerous. Catching up to another car mid-corner and having to lift is one of my biggest concerns when you are really pushing it.

What is the big controversy about using turn-signals instead of arm signals? I've been used to using turn signals on many private track days, and I just started back up with PCA (had been in a non-P car for a while) and they are arm signals only. Personally I think it's a lot easier to flip a swith than take your left hand off the wheel. The only thing that I can think of is that you could accidentally give a signal with the blinkers?

AJ
The problem with this idea is the amount of time it takes to get everyone off track, and everyone on track, would further eat into the amount of time on track.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Aero0T2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The problem with this idea is the amount of time it takes to get everyone off track, and everyone on track, would further eat into the amount of time on track.
They were actually very efficient with the switch-overs. The next run group was staged in pit lane, and as soon as the first group came off, the next came on. The only other way to get an extra 2x 20 min sessions would be to run through lunch which would work as well.

Just saying, if it would solve the problem, I'd rather have 15 min with no traffic than 20 minutes of passing slow car. Then again, racing is the same way. There are slow cars on track with faster classes and you just have to play nice.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,487 Likes on 1,964 Posts

They were actually very efficient with the switch-overs. The next run group was staged in pit lane, and as soon as the first group came off, the next came on. The only other way to get an extra 2x 20 min sessions would be to run through lunch which would work as well.

Just saying, if it would solve the problem, I'd rather have 15 min with no traffic than 20 minutes of passing slow car. Then again, racing is the same way. There are slow cars on track with faster classes and you just have to play nice.
On the shortest track I drive, Lime Rock Park, a good transition will last about 4 - 5 minutes. Add another run group to a day and that could mean another 20-30 minutes of down time.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't think shorter sessions are a good answer. If you have a yellow out-lap it just doesn't leave many laps at most tracks. Getting cars to grid based on relative lap times helps to alleviate trains but it takes more effort (volunteers) to pull it off.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Just saying, if it would solve the problem, I'd rather have 15 min with no traffic than 20 minutes of passing slow car.
Don't think it would solve the "problem". Agree with Luigi here.

Even if everyone's staged and ready to go (which they normally are in the regions I run with), and every on track hurries off the track at checkered (which they normally do in the regions I run with) it's still 2 minutes to get everyone in and another 2 minutes to get everyone out. That 15 minute session will turn into 10 minutes very quickly. That's just not long enough.

23 to 28 minute sessions (at a normal DE, not an advanced DE) is perfect, for me anyway.

I run in white and I've only been to one DE (out of all the ones I've ever done, ever) that had constant trains, and that was at The Glen earlier this season and it was because it was a joint event between the 2 largest regions in Zone 1. I think there were 265 cars registered. The trains were constant in every run group, and no amount of changing the run group lengths would have fixed that. 265 registered cars IIRC.

Of course, getting to hang out with 265 of your closest friends is worth the price of admission regardless.

You are 100% correct when you say there will always be faster and slower cars in each run group. And yes indeed, you always have to play nice. That's what an HPDE is.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:45 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
earlier this season and it was because it was a joint event between the 2 largest regions in Zone 1. I think there were 265 cars registered. The trains were constant in every run group, and no amount of changing the run group lengths would have fixed that. 265 registered cars IIRC.
Friends aside, having to navigate that many cars is a good argument for doing private track days where enrollment is limited. Running in constant trains, besides being unsafe, is nothing but an exercise in frustration and IMO a waste of time and money; you can only do so many drive-throughs

Did an event a few years ago at WGI where there were over 70 cars in Black alone--never again.

I very much appreciate the social aspect, but personally when I go to a racetrack it's to drive, first and foremost.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 09-30-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: How are your DE groups organized?