Lambo Hard Crash at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
that was actually what saved her. the fact that the car has the low nose, ( blunt nosed car, might have just stopped) it immediately allowed the rear of the car to come up and get airborne provided more time for her lateral decelleration . all that energy lifted the car up 10feet or so and then it dropped. had it just stuffed into the wall, she might have not been so luckly. over the wall is not as bad as it seems.. i would rather go over the wall than just stop at the tires flat and level.. (depending on what is on the other side. My friend Gavin had a major crash at Road America where he jumped the wall after turn 1 sand trap during Speed GT race....... it was a wild ride for him. right now, I dont know what Laguna could do to make that corner any more safe, unless they added more tires.

Think about all that energy released to lift a 3000lbs car 10ft in the air in that amount of time..... i dont know the speed she was traveling, but people dont survive 80mph to 0mph impacts very often.

I hadn't thought about the low nose being a benefit to throw her in the air to dissipate energy but makes sense.

I don't know much about these Lambo's but is it safe to assume they are F1 style paddle shifters and even if there was something wrong with the brakes that she would only be able to downshift once or twice because the gearbox wouldn't allow anymore as a safe guard against over revs?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:25 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd like a materials spec on the net that catches a several thousand pound car traveling at 100+ mph and decelerates it a slow enough speed to be useful while not acting as a slingshot for the car in the opposite direction once deceleration is complete and also doesn't need multiple support posts that create their own hazards. Sounds like amazing stuff.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:30 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

So glad she is ok, that was an incredibly hard crash, much worse than what took Earnhart (open face helmet, no HANS killed him).
Seems they improved the safety on these cars, I was going to rent a ride the first year they were out but after sitting in one I thought it very unsafe, and
saw some catching fire...

Huge movable heavy concrete blocks behind tires saved my chassis at Sebring (I moved it quite a bit), maybe that could be considered in that area.

Hope she will race again soon!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'd like a materials spec on the net that catches a several thousand pound car traveling at 100+ mph and decelerates it a slow enough speed to be useful while not acting as a slingshot for the car in the opposite direction once deceleration is complete and also doesn't need multiple support posts that create their own hazards. Sounds like amazing stuff.
what? wow, have you been living in physics cage for the past 100 years. First im not suggesting removing the tire barriers, just shape them so that the impact gets the car airborn to absorb a lot of the energy and then a net to catch the car.......its not a trampoline, its a catch net.. or if they wanted to get really fancy, like they use on aircraft carriers, something called the mark 7 barricade can be used this is back in the 1960s
decelerating the car from 100mph by itself would be possible as well. and again, you need to think of the energy required and then calculate the room for what it would require. the good news is that the corkscrew has a lot of room on the backside of the barriers............a very simple solution would be the tires , with the wall replaced with a heavy net. it would be designed to allow the tires to move the net hydraulically. then, after the impact it can be pulled back into position. either manually by use of a toe truck , or if fancy, automated.

they also have some that are used for runaway semis on the mountain freeways.. I'm not saying to get a net to save the car, but a simple system to just extend the decel distance from 4-5 feet to 2 to 4 times that. very doable, without anything that fancy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DolytF0Uf2A

Go to 40 seconds

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-13-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't understand what you are trying to show me. So a car flies over the ocean and onto an aircraft carrier? Based on my calculations, the car would have to travel very very fast. How many aircraft carriers are we going to need?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I don't understand what you are trying to show me. So a car flies over the ocean and onto an aircraft carrier? Based on my calculations, the car would have to travel very very fast. How many aircraft carriers are we going to need?
You're being stubborn... the video / pictures shows that there are nets that can be easily constructed to catch cars and not "fling" them back. it shows 20,000lb aircraft being caught by a net going faster than 100mph.
the point is, they need to make a catch net on the other side of the wall , If the technology existed to stop a plane at over100mph with no damage, im sure a variation of the concept could be created to slow the cars down using portions of that technology. It's all about just getting a little more room for decel aftter impact. Since most of the cars flip, taking some energy out by the wall moving or by use of a catch net if they go over the wall. since cart is not coming back, cars going over the wall , is not likely............but there have been many straight on impacts.......... some time of barrier that moves and maybe includes a net might mitigate the impact forces.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6aqge2

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-13-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

I have seen a number of incidents involving these Supertropheos when I've been on track with them. I will say that they must be built incredibly well as I've never seen anyone injured including one that penetrated the armco at WGI.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
right now, I dont know what Laguna could do to make that corner any more safe, unless they added more tires.
That's one option. And raise the height since it's relatively easy to get airborne at that spot. Relatively short run off/gravel trap and a cement wall with the potential to be impacted head-on at high speed - two or three rows of tires doesn't cut it IMO. That's exactly how Sean Edwards died.

But I agree going over the wall might be a better option given how little protection exists for a direct head-on.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
That's one option. And raise the height since it's relatively easy to get airborne at that spot. Relatively short run off/gravel trap and a cement wall with the potential to be impacted head-on at high speed - two or three rows of tires doesn't cut it IMO. That's exactly how Sean Edwards died.

But I agree going over the wall might be a better option given how little protection exists for a direct head-on.

yep...........Those are my thoughts too. so lucky these drivers have become airborne and not just stuffed into the tires. My impact at Sears when i got ram'ed by an out of control honda, was about 80mph but didnt get airborne. I cracked some ribs and it felt like my head was going to come of my shoulders.. The major difference was mine was at a 45 degree angle. these guys are hitting straight on. very scary. There is a lot of room on the other side of the wall..... I cant see a design to encourage cars getting airborne.. but it does look like the existing design and the way cars have impacted the tires, has saved lives by doing so.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

If everything was functioning normally, I don't think I want to drive one. Glad she wasn't hurt too badly.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's a new one... smdh.

"Nets" (catch fencing) killed Gilles Villeneuve... That's one of the reasons why they don't do that anymore.

Witness also the "catch" fencing contributing to the serious injury or death of several IRL drivers...

The intial hit is the one that hurts or kills you. After that, you're just along for the ride...
How do the catch nets used in NHRA drag racing contrast to the ones in IRL?
They have some success
https://youtu.be/hZegY89juh0
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
How do the catch nets used in NHRA drag racing contrast to the ones in IRL?
I don't know. I just remember Scott Kalitta...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Going over the Wall didn’t work very well for Rodriguez. Of course the track safety was improved greatly because of this crash. There was was much less run-off area and only one row of tires....

Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Going over the Wall didn’t work very well for Rodriguez. Of course the track safety was improved greatly because of this crash. There was was much less run-off area and only one row of tires....

massive head and neck injuries, probably on impact. there was a lot more speed, hence why it climbed over the fence. yes and less tires . dont know if landing from 20ft on to his head had anything to do with it. thats why i would want a net there, even horizontal fencing.

Quick Reply: Lambo Hard Crash at Laguna Seca