Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Lambo Hard Crash at Laguna Seca (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1096611-lambo-hard-crash-at-laguna-seca.html)

stujelly 09-11-2018 11:33 PM

Lambo Hard Crash at Laguna Seca

Not one to be a rubber necker but this looks like a potential mechanical failure and one heck of a hard hit. Anyone know what really happened?

Most important thing is IMSA says the driver is stable.

Crazy lick.

multi21 09-12-2018 12:00 AM

Good Lord that was massive...

brakes?

PGas32 09-12-2018 12:03 AM

Lambo came out and said that everything on the car was functioning as it should, and while I don't know much else about her, I do know that the driver is pretty inexperienced...but the important thing is that she was released from the hospital earlier today

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/lambor...monk-accident/

Texas RS 09-12-2018 12:05 AM

Glad to hear the driver is stable, that was a nasty hit.

That looks like brake failure or stuck throttle....

jlanka 09-12-2018 12:19 AM

Thank god for the tire wall

AZWCat 09-12-2018 02:39 AM

Wow, I don’t know how that could happen without some kind of brake malfunction. Miracle she is ok.

Veloce Raptor 09-12-2018 09:56 AM

Holy smokes
Thank you HANS

Speculating brake failure/ice mode/pad knockback or driver pedal error?

Debo18D 09-12-2018 10:34 AM

That gravel didn't even start to slow her down. Yikes.

D.

ProCoach 09-12-2018 11:25 AM

I have a fair bit of experience coaching, reviewing driver, car data and with the performance of these cars.

As much as I support the Squadra Corse program, I find it very odd that they would put out a press release while the driver was still in the hospital that “all systems were functioning” at the time of the incident.

Unlike the GT4 CS card, these cars don’t have “ice pedal” or at least over the course of two years with five different team cars, I haven’t seen it on the data.

Based on the video, something failed. Self-preservation kicks in and while she was low-time in these cars, she had experience from last year.

matt33 09-12-2018 01:52 PM

Pleased she has been released from hospital.. that was scary as hell.

Agree with Peter’s comments - it’s hard to imagine this not being a mechanical failure of some kind. Unless she suffered a personal medical situation (seizure/similar) which is unlikely given she thread the needle pretty accurately.

Not it sure I would be comfortable on track without harness+hans

Circuit Motorsports 09-12-2018 02:08 PM

If you slow it down the car puts down skid mark/s right as they cut to the scene of it straight lining into the kink.

certz 09-12-2018 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports (Post 15284828)
If you slow it down the car puts down skid mark/s right as they cut to the scene of it straight lining into the kink.

I noticed that as well and wondered if she simply missed her brake point. Once she crested the hill the car would light and there would be very little traction for braking at that point...

ProCoach 09-12-2018 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by certz (Post 15285038)
I noticed that as well and wondered if she simply missed her brake point. Once she crested the hill the car would light and there would be very little traction for braking at that point...

The car lands well before it needs to turn... After Turn 7, before Turn 8.

certz 09-12-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15285323)
The car lands well before it needs to turn... After Turn 7, before Turn 8.

Lots of speculation, I guess. I also found it interesting how fast the team announced there was nothing wrong with the car.

mark kibort 09-12-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by certz (Post 15285367)
Lots of speculation, I guess. I also found it interesting how fast the team announced there was nothing wrong with the car.

yeah, that was a nasty hit. straight off into the tires and thanks to them, it wasnt more serious. thats a rapid deceleration in to the tire wall. Look at no brakes what so ever. the cars she is passing are going over 40mph and she is easily double that... and that wall didnt move at all, ..... very lucky girl to survive that