Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE71R vs Hankook R-S4 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:56 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will be using a set of HK's at our Oct DE. 255/35 and 285/35 18's. I will report back. Ideally, I would like to see little to no drop off in performance and 50% better wear. In an ideal world......
Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Just seeing this thread. For those that have compared to the NT-01, can you share your thoughts?

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

From back to back comparison the RE71R is softer, faster, and more predictable at the limit than he NT01. It is sticky cold, but the NT01 responds better to very hot tracks and overdriving. If you are not careful you can shred a set of RE71Rs in a day on a fully prepared track car.

The NT01s are fun to slide around on, but I found myself wanting to wear the.m out faster. I think their particular sidewall squirm is an acquired taste, because there are fanatics. Depending on the track and the conditions the RE71R can be seconds faster. Better in light rain too, at least while they have tread left.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:50 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Just seeing this thread. For those that have compared to the NT-01, can you share your thoughts?

Cheers

Matt
Definitely interested in feedback on this question from those with experience on both the RE71R and the NT-01. I am running Trofeo R's right now and will not be using them again. I ran RE71R on my 997TT track wheels and they seemed fantastic but I was under the impression at the time that NT-01 was another step up from the RE71R. But I've been reading a lot of anecdotal information that the RE71R's are at least equal and maybe even faster than NT-01. Will be deciding between these two when I need to replace the Trofeo R's.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I found NT-01's and RE71r's to be very similar in terms of lap times but I think NT-01's seemed to wear better and good to the cords.

If I had to drive a set of tires to track, I'd pick the Bridgestones. If I'm trailering the car and want to drive the **** out of a set of tires, I'd pick the Nittos.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

On a 2750lb car with 250hp, I ended up with 65 sessions on RE71rs. They do not like to be overdriven. At 65 sessions, we swapped to fresh tires and we were roughly 2-3 seconds per lap faster.

AER teams use RE71Rs and can run the full day on them without issues with very respectable lap times. Just do not over-drive them or they disintegrate. Also, people mistake the fact that the tread blocks wear down and assume the tire is done. It has a LOT of life after that happens.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to read the feedback. I ran several sets of RS-3 on two different track cars and loved them but ran out of tire at NJMP last Sept and the only set I could get on short notice was the RE71R. Love the tire but had not yet driven the RS4. Sounds like you cannot go wrong with either. Sometimes I drive to the track on them, sometimes I trailer the tires.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
people mistake the fact that the tread blocks wear down and assume the tire is done. It has a LOT of life after that happens.
+1

I ran very used ones at Mosport y-day and at day's end two were completely smooth and the other two nearly so--had great grip all day.

For a street tire I find them excellent wet or dry.

Gary

Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
+1

I ran very used ones at Mosport y-day and at day's end two were completely smooth and the other two nearly so--had great grip all day.

For a street tire I find them excellent wet or dry.

Gary
Bridgestone or Hankook?
thanks

Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
Bridgestone or Hankook?
thanks
Sorry, Bridgestones!

Whatta dope (me, not you )

Gary
Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 PM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has me interested in trying the Hankook tires. I have a Cayman which I have been running on track with the RE71r in the OEM sizes of 235/45 & 265/45 R18. The Hankooks are not available in those sizes. I understand the effects of a different tire size on the speedometer and potentially on the ABS and stability control. What is the recommendation or experience with those that have tried different tire sizes. I was looking at 245/40 and 275/40 R18 for the Hankook. The diameters are slightly smaller. Foot print is a little wider so there is a potential interference issue. Any advice or experience anyone can share is appreciated.

I event talked to 2 Michelin engineers this weekend at the track and they were not decisive in their answers as I would have thought. I was discussing Michelin tires with them since 18" tires are back, but not in the Cayman OEM size.

Bobby
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolleiBob
This thread has me interested in trying the Hankook tires. I have a Cayman which I have been running on track with the RE71r in the OEM sizes of 235/45 & 265/45 R18. The Hankooks are not available in those sizes. I understand the effects of a different tire size on the speedometer and potentially on the ABS and stability control. What is the recommendation or experience with those that have tried different tire sizes. I was looking at 245/40 and 275/40 R18 for the Hankook. The diameters are slightly smaller. Foot print is a little wider so there is a potential interference issue. Any advice or experience anyone can share is appreciated.

I event talked to 2 Michelin engineers this weekend at the track and they were not decisive in their answers as I would have thought. I was discussing Michelin tires with them since 18" tires are back, but not in the Cayman OEM size.

Bobby
Smaller diameter will give you a small boost in acceleration in the lower gears--very popular with autoxers who need that but don't need top speed. Speedo/odometer will be affected by approx. the change in diameter; can't speak for ABS/stability. Not surprised the engineers didn't tell you much--anything they would tell you that goes against the grain might leave them open to litigation if something went awry.......

Gary
Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Ran the RS-4's last weekend at HPR. Cool day, track started very cold and ambient never got over 60F.
Definitely noiser than the RE's. Track conditions made for less grip, but temps made more HP.
With the RS-4's I was 1/2 second off my personal best. I was still able to stay ahead of all my friends who were running GT4's with RE's.
If I can get 50% more life than the RE's, that's good enough for me.
If I ever want to go for bragging rights, I will throw on a set of Hoosiers.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:56 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Futurz, following up on this as I’m interested to know alternatives to the RE71R. How long did the RS4 end up lasting and how did their performance hold up til end of life?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Don't know yet since they didn't get used up last season. Have about 8 HC on them now and still lots of tread left. i'm guessing a total of 20 HC is probable on these which is definitely more than I ever get on the RE's.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE71R vs Hankook R-S4 comparison