Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE71R vs Hankook R-S4 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE71R vs Hankook R-S4 comparison

Has anyone done a good comparison of these tires on the track? I'm not concerned about street driving.
I usually run the RE71R's, which I really like. I have a weekend coming up that may require just a bit more tire life and am leaning towards the R-S4.
I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance in exchange for longevity, but not too much.
Any comments from those that have experienced both would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:36 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've driven both back-to-back. Same car, same track, dry pavement.

I was 1 second slower in the R-S4.
R-S4 "feels" a bit more like a street tire in that it has just a bit more squeal and a bit more squirm. This is not a big deal at all to me, but noticeable.
R-S4 lasts twice as long (no exaggeration) based on my experience.

The RE71Rs are amazing tires, no question, but I just can't justify using them anymore given how long the R-S4s last on my car. In fact, the last time I bought RE71Rs was just because the Hankooks were sold out.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

If you can fit Nitto NT01s, and they make'em in the size you need, Discounttiredirect has their labor day special going with rebates between 10% - 20%.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

I used Nitto's for several years, but prefer the RE71R for the track. I just need a longer wearing tire for an extra long weekend of driving that neither the Nittos or the Bridgestones will endure.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
I've driven both back-to-back. Same car, same track, dry pavement.

I was 1 second slower in the R-S4.
R-S4 "feels" a bit more like a street tire in that it has just a bit more squeal and a bit more squirm. This is not a big deal at all to me, but noticeable.
R-S4 lasts twice as long (no exaggeration) based on my experience.

The RE71Rs are amazing tires, no question, but I just can't justify using them anymore given how long the R-S4s last on my car. In fact, the last time I bought RE71Rs was just because the Hankooks were sold out.
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by futurz
I used Nitto's for several years, but prefer the RE71R for the track. I just need a longer wearing tire for an extra long weekend of driving that neither the Nittos or the Bridgestones will endure.
Thanks
Are you in that 6 hr enduro and need tires for that?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

No, I'm involved in a charity event in October at HPR, giving rides in exchange for a donation to a dog rescue organization .Three days of lots of driving, but for a good cause.
I'm only driving one day at the Club Race/DE since I'm co-chairing the event.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

The RS4 wear like iron and are a remarkable balance of performance & durability. I am on a endurance team (Champcar, Chumpcar) and we have fully switched over to using the RS4s. Easily last twice as long as the RE-71 with only a slight decrease in performance.
Unless you're going for time-attack or autocross performance, the RS4 is the right choice.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:35 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

I'm also researching the Y. Advan A052. Not many reviews out there except on Tire Rack. Some like them better than the RE71R,
If anyone has track experience with those, please chime in.
Again, the goal is slightly longer wear than the RE's without a huge sacrifice in performance.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

I'm also researching the Y. Advan A052. Not many reviews out there except on Tire Rack. Some like them better than the RE71R,
Again, the goal is slightly longer wear than the RE's without a huge sacrifice in performance.
I have a friend who just ran some AO52 at RA Gridlife TT. He is a top tier driver and he said they felt mushy and had a tendency to let go mid corner as they heated up. Didn't like any slip angle. I have tracked the GT350 on the R-S4 and was very pleased with the performance and durability.

Peter
Old 08-29-2018, 12:31 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold

I have a friend who just ran some AO52 at RA Gridlife TT. He is a top tier driver and he said they felt mushy and had a tendency to let go mid corner as they heated up. Didn't like any slip angle. I have tracked the GT350 on the R-S4 and was very pleased with the performance and durability.

Peter
I am hearing similar. I have decided to go with the R-S4's for this event. On-Site Tires is going to help me with tire temps to get them set up properly.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2018, 01:06 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

Will be going from Rt615k+ to A052's soon
Old 08-29-2018, 02:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

This is a great thread. I am also seeing that the RE71R's wear quite quickly.

I love their performance, but man, they go fast. I am going to try a set of the Hankook's before this season is over.

I have one new set of the Bridgestone's waiting for my next tire change and then I'm gonna try the R-S4's.

Great thread. Thanks OP...
Old 08-29-2018, 03:11 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote here for RS4's. 1 lap qualifying pace= the RE71R edges it out on pace. Full session- I think the RS4 copes better, great friction circle, does not overheat easily.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:44 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RS4 hands down. I’m a second faster on RS4s than even my spec Toyo RRs (once the Toyos get heat cycled a few times).

The RS4s compromise very little in terms of grip for unbelievable wear and predictably. For DE use on a street tire there is nothing better IMO. When new they even work well in the wet.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE71R vs Hankook R-S4 comparison