Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Here is some ugly!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Did he have an explanation for that? Looking at his lap timer instead of the track?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,467 Likes on 1,958 Posts

This looks like that last thread where the Porsche ran into the back of the NASCAR.

Looks like once he put two wheels off he couldn't brake in time.

What was the lead car doing? Looks like they almost came to a stop. Not that that would be an excuse but what the hell was he doing?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

^^ He was slowing because there was debris on the track.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Was there any kind of local yellow? I didn't see one on either the front or rear view cameras.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:20 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This looks like that last thread where the Porsche ran into the back of the NASCAR.

Looks like once he put two wheels off he couldn't brake in time.

What was the lead car doing? Looks like they almost came to a stop. Not that that would be an excuse but what the hell was he doing?
There's a car that had already hit the wall in front of him.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
No Flaggers to warn anyone after the initial hit in front of the OP's car? There was already a car in the wall and then there was contact from the behind to the OP's car, correct?
If that's the case, where was the waving yellow?
Also, why didn't the GTR that hit the OP's car see the 1st car in the wall and all that debris?
Distracted driving? Did I miss the flagger(s)?
Glad no one was hurt, so that's good, but geesh, how did the GTR not know that there was debris all over the track coming up and slow down?
Is this distracted driving, or sleeping flaggers, or something else?
Pretty scary stuff. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:33 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
No Flaggers to warn anyone after the initial hit in front of the OP's car? There was already a car in the wall and then there was contact from the behind to the OP's car, correct?
If that's the case, where was the waving yellow?
Also, why didn't the GTR that hit the OP's car see the 1st car in the wall and all that debris?
Distracted driving? Did I miss the flagger(s)?
Glad no one was hurt, so that's good, but geesh, how did the GTR not know that there was debris all over the track coming up and slow down?
Is this distracted driving, or sleeping flaggers, or something else?
Pretty scary stuff. Glad no one was hurt.
Sightlines are part of what gives that corner a high pucker factor. The GTR wouldn't have been able to see the original incident until he was already at track out. There were also cars obscuring his view after that but he should have seen the two cars in front of him checking up before he put a wheel off. Now it's possible that he saw the dust clould on the other side of the track and was distracted for a moment...
Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Sightlines are part of what gives that corner a high pucker factor. The GTR wouldn't have been able to see the original incident until he was already at track out. There were also cars obscuring his view after that but he should have seen the two cars in front of him checking up before he put a wheel off. Now it's possible that he saw the dust clould on the other side of the track and was distracted for a moment...
I have not raced there yet. Could the GTR have used the grass on the left? It seemed like the left grass is pretty wide. Do a lot of cars eat it there because they try and save it and fail?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe not stop on the racing line next time.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

That corner is tough IMO. There is a flagger right after the bridge but the turn is somewhat blind at the crest. The trick to being fast through the downhill corner is to look ahead not at apex . I suspect GTR was not looking ahead.

I looked at video and quality (or my eye sight) is poor and I could not tell what the flag stations are holding.

Last edited by Thundermoose; 08-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone is at fault there. The Vette who was the first crash is the root cause.

Then the EVO essentially stopping on the track.

Then the Neon doing the same thing.

Then the GTR not being heads up enough to see this happening.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,467 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Watched it on my phone at first and hard to make out. I see it now that I watched in on my computer.

Just bad track awareness for the last car but overall it could have been handled better by the lead car.

This is almost like people who throw out the boat anchor when the checker flag is thrown not realizing someone is behind them finishing their hot lap.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have not raced there yet. Could the GTR have used the grass on the left? It seemed like the left grass is pretty wide. Do a lot of cars eat it there because they try and save it and fail?

That grass is not wide and it is not a decision most anyone would think about making in that situation.

Turn 12 is a fully committed turn. Once you turn in you are generally going to be at that speed or there about at corner exit with minimal ability to change much until the car is at corner exit because a lift or brakes will almost guarantee you will hit a wall. It's a concrete canyon that eats cars regularly. Most of the time it is someone who tracks out wide and then corrects to quickly and loops it into the inside wall.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
That corner is tough IMO. There is a flagger right after the bridge but the turn is somewhat blind at the crest. The trick to being fast through the downhill corner is to look ahead not at apex . I suspect GTR was not looking ahead.

I looked at video and quality (or my eye sight) is poor and I could not tell what the flag stations are holding.
Check the rear camera view. It’s much better, and I don’t see any flags in it at all. I guess that could mean that the first wreck had just happened and the flaggers has not reacted yet. Regardless, the apparent lack of any caution flags lifts SOME of the responsibility from the various drivers. Not all, but some.

Last edited by mglobe; 08-27-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Here is some ugly!