Sponsored by:

Here is some ugly!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018 | 12:00 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That grass is not wide and it is not a decision most anyone would think about making in that situation.

Turn 12 is a fully committed turn. Once you turn in you are generally going to be at that speed or there about at corner exit with minimal ability to change much until the car is at corner exit because a lift or brakes will almost guarantee you will hit a wall. It's a concrete canyon that eats cars regularly. Most of the time it is someone who tracks out wide and then corrects to quickly and loops it into the inside wall.
Yes, scary place! As far as I'm concerned, that grass is not a racing surface. It might be better then rear ending someone but the outcome is not likely to be good.
Old 08-27-2018 | 12:25 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everyone is at fault there. The Vette who was the first crash is the root cause.

Then the EVO essentially stopping on the track.

Then the Neon doing the same thing.

Then the GTR not being heads up enough to see this happening.
+991

This is how I see it.
Old 08-27-2018 | 02:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I was on the receiving end of a nearly identical impact in the same corner a few months ago. Only I was much further back in full view coming down the hill and the car was still crashing in front of me. It crossed track coming down hill, back into wall and then propelled right back on track again stopping right in the middle, then finally gaining control and moving right. There was no way to pass without and risking car to car impact. .The driver who hit me was also much further back. In this case, it seems that the GT-R driver clipped the curb at the apex of 12, propelling him out into the dirt. Once in the dirt there is no braking. You see his line change ever so slightly but abruptly. This means he was fully in the red mist turning in to early and following the line of the car in front instead of his own line. His car had no chance to stop once he reached the apex of 12 IMO. His corner speed did not justify tracking out into the dirt. But even leaning on the shoulder of that curb just a tad propels you outward significantly. In fact significantly worse than using the full curb for the turn. Time Trial/ Time Attack is Red Mist central. Doug (Neon Driver) makes a point to jab all the big name cars he beats so likely some ego involved too.
Old 08-27-2018 | 03:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I was on the receiving end of a nearly identical impact in the same corner a few months ago. Only I was much further back in full view coming down the hill and the car was still crashing in front of me. It crossed track coming down hill, back into wall and then propelled right back on track again stopping right in the middle, then finally gaining control and moving right. There was no way to pass without and risking car to car impact. .The driver who hit me was also much further back. In this case, it seems that the GT-R driver clipped the curb at the apex of 12, propelling him out into the dirt. Once in the dirt there is no braking. You see his line change ever so slightly but abruptly. This means he was fully in the red mist turning in to early and following the line of the car in front instead of his own line. His car had no chance to stop once he reached the apex of 12 IMO. His corner speed did not justify tracking out into the dirt. But even leaning on the shoulder of that curb just a tad propels you outward significantly. In fact significantly worse than using the full curb for the turn. Time Trial/ Time Attack is Red Mist central. Doug (Neon Driver) makes a point to jab all the big name cars he beats so likely some ego involved too.
clearly inexperienced and had quite a bit of time to adjust his line for a pass or brake and he did neither. he kept his foot on the throttle and was accelerating while the lead car was slowing . that was an example of lack of vision and reaction. if it had been a blind entrance to a exit, it would have been worse.
Old 08-27-2018 | 06:09 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Looks like a perfect storm of crappy circumstances. Turns out the GTR was already 2 wheels off when he noticed the world was ending right in front of him. Some kind of impact to rip a wheel right off the car...

IMO (and what I teach everyone from track drivers to my kdis), when you slam on the brakes, be sure to check your mirror, the person behind you may not even see you. Not saying that would've helped here, but ya never know.

-td [I also watched this a number of times in slow mo and didn't see any flags]
Old 08-27-2018 | 07:40 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Having driven RA, the GT-R actually appeared to do the best he could given the circumstances. T-12 is a fast committed downhill right-handed turn, compounded by the fact that you really can’t ‘look ahead’ down the straight until you clip the apex! Without the aid of any warning flags, the GT-R was barreling into a mess and his options were (1) go left into the grass, (2) pull right to avoid the OP or (3) hold straight and hope there’s enough track/friction to decelerate the car. Option #1 is dicey as we all know that grass is an unforgiving surface when hit at close to 100mph, he may have slid right to the left wall. Option #2 is a recipe for disaster, pull right and hitting the right wall is as guaranteed as they come, especially given that the GT-R had two wheels off on track out. Option #3 was his best bet, holding straight and decelerating. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough track. The GT-R is ultimately ‘responsible’ for the collision however I would not fault his judgement, he didn’t yank his steering wheel in an attempt to dodge the OP, that’s heads up driving in my book.

As far as the GT-R being distracted, one can only say that if they have never driven RA. T-12 is the last place any driver checks their laptimer!
Old 08-27-2018 | 09:15 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Maybe not stop on the racing line next time.
+1
Without apportioning any guilt/fault as many things seem to have lined up wrong, one lesson from this incident would be to never stop on the racing line especially at the track out of a 100mph blind turn.
Old 08-27-2018 | 09:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Everyone is at fault there. The Vette who was the first crash is the root cause.

Then the EVO essentially stopping on the track.

Then the Neon doing the same thing.

Then the GTR not being heads up enough to see this happening.
Totes.
But the statement at the end about the GTR driving back to the pits minus a wheel and pouring out fluids is a statement as to the mindset and experience of the GTR driver.
Old 08-28-2018 | 12:09 AM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Here is a look from behind the GTR
View this post on Instagram
Old 08-28-2018 | 06:42 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Again, DO NOT STOP ON THE RACING LINE.
Old 08-28-2018 | 07:42 AM
Dahilla West
3rd Gear

This is really unusual
Old 08-28-2018 | 12:54 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

After watching the last video I'm going to have to agree with this.
Old 08-28-2018 | 03:18 PM
bcp2011
Intermediate

Obviously this should be the case in normal situations, but when I look at the first video it seems like there was a lot of debris on track from the first car going into the wall, and it seems like the first Evo was trying to avoid the entire mess, thus slowing down dramatically and then the Neon did the same. How does one make the calculation to run over the debris and potentially damage the car vs. being potentially getting hit from behind in a blind corner?
Old 08-28-2018 | 03:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Flags could have been very helpful. I believe there were none.
Old 08-28-2018 | 04:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Flags could have been very helpful. I believe there were none.

Dust cloud was building and parts from initial Vette crash were still spreading in video from Neon. The yellow may not have been out yet but it wasn't super slow either. They did a good job going to red quickly. Faster than I am used to seeing. As far as the yellow, I Don't think it would have helped that much. The GTR had turned into 12. At that point he was committed until the exit.

Quick Reply: Here is some ugly!