Sponsored by:

Robert Wickens crash IndyCar Pocono 2018

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Ha, yes. Much better this time.

So much for the geometry lesson, but let's turn our attention back to Robbie. I'm not encouraged by the lack of good news coming forward.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:28 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

It sounds like that the extent of the spinal cord injury is yet undetermined. Spinal cord injury, and therefore, paralysis or weakness, is not the same as injury to the spinal column or the spine itself (the bony part). We know that he has an injury to the thoracic spine.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silence is eerie.
Praying for some good news.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:11 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...uries-revealed
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow, that's a lot more fractures than was given initially. Probably hurts like hell. I guess you can heal from those but with lifelong aches and mobility problems.

I hope the spinal injury doesn't turn out to prevent him from returning to racing or a normal way of life.

Doctors, why does it take so long to know?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Wow, that's a lot more fractures than was given initially. Probably hurts like hell. I guess you can heal from those but with lifelong aches and mobility problems.
Having fractured four ribs myself once, the pain was agonizing, and he has a lot more than that. Youth is on his side but IMHO getting out of bed and being able to go through life w/o painkillers will be a major coup. And this is assuming his spinal injuries heal allowing him full feeling......man.

Gary

Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

"The severity of the spinal cord injury he sustained in the incident remains indeterminate and under evaluation”. While the list of injuries is extensive, the preceding quote is cause for much concern! Here’s hoping he makes a full recovery and can lead a normal life.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
"The severity of the spinal cord injury he sustained in the incident remains indeterminate and under evaluation”. While the list of injuries is extensive, the preceding quote is cause for much concern! Here’s hoping he makes a full recovery and can lead a normal life.
I'm not a doctor but I would imagine that they need the the spinal injuries to heal for a while and the swelling to go down.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'm not a doctor but I would imagine that they need the the spinal injuries to heal for a while and the swelling to go down.
You are probably right...hope the spinal injuries are not life altering!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Doctors, why does it take so long to know?
Knowing the extent of a cord injury is often difficult in the acute and subacute setting unless there is an obvious transection of the cord.

Physical exam of the patient can tell you what functions are intact (motor, sensory, temperature, vibration, etc.) but it is difficult to prognosticate for any given patient in terms of if and when they may have some degree of recovery of function.

The cord can be compressed, bruised, swollen, or stretched, and various fibers/nerves (i.e. 'wires') can break within the cord even if the overall structure is generally intact. Lastly the cord can be intact but lose its blood supply either through compression or direct injury to the blood vessels that feed it.

Imaging is often very limited in terms of assessing all the above.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29614362

Hence, it's a waiting game with time, healing, and progressive recovery of function (or not) being the best "test".

I am NOT referring to Wickens' case in particular, just trying to answer your question in general.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:57 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Knowing the extent of a cord injury is often difficult in the acute and subacute setting unless there is an obvious transection of the cord.

Physical exam of the patient can tell you what functions are intact (motor, sensory, temperature, vibration, etc.) but it is difficult to prognosticate for any given patient in terms of if and when they may have some degree of recovery of function. The cord can be compressed, bruised, swollen, or stretched, and various fibers/nerves (i.e. 'wires') can break within the cord even if the overall structure is generally intact.

Imaging is often very limited in terms of assessing all the above.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29614362

Hence, it's a waiting game with time, healing, and progressive recovery of function (or not) being the best "test".

I am NOT referring to Wickens' case in particular, just trying to answer your question in general.
Matt, I recall years ago one of my coworkers fell out of a tower truck and experienced resultant numbness/tingling in his feet/lower legs......he had no surgery and he said his physician told him that if feeling doesn't return after a year chances are good it's not coming back. Is the 12-month timeframe a general rule-of thumb, or possibly for this individual patient, or? I've lost touch with him so I don't know how he is presently.

Gary
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

He did his first on camera interview yesterday and appeared to be in good spirits.
Looks like it will be a long road to recovery.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:38 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a relief to hear him say that he hopes to race again one day
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seanseidman
It was a relief to hear him say that he hopes to race again one day
That hope is what will drive his recovery--I hope he makes it.

Gary

Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

that was a horrible accident. He is in real bad shape,....... wishing him a speedy , complete recovery

Quick Reply: Robert Wickens crash IndyCar Pocono 2018