Sponsored by:

Robert Wickens crash IndyCar Pocono 2018

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts
Default Robert Wickens crash IndyCar Pocono 2018

Robert Wickens crazy crash at Pocono Raceway in IndyCar today. One of the worst I’ve seen yet. Luckily, word is that Wickens was awake, alert and responsive at LeHigh Valley Hospital in PA.

Last edited by Akunob; 08-19-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Truly frightening crash.
Latest update I saw said Wickens has 'unspecified orthopedic injuries.' Hinch texted the broadcast crew from the same hospital and said that his wrist exams were OK but he sustained cuts from flying debris.
I thought RHR looked pretty shaken up but there is no report of any injury.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Truly frightening crash.
Latest update I saw said Wickens has 'unspecified orthopedic injuries.' Hinch texted the broadcast crew from the same hospital and said that his wrist exams were OK but he sustained cuts from flying debris.
I thought RHR looked pretty shaken up but there is no report of any injury.
i think RHR was mostly shaken by what happened to Whickens and the fact that he was involved in it. At first look I felt that RHR turned into him, but after watching a bunch of times Wickens probably needed to back out.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe

i think RHR was mostly shaken by what happened to Whickens and the fact that he was involved in it. At first look I felt that RHR turned into him, but after watching a bunch of times Wickens probably needed to back out.
That could well be why he looked shaken.
I think it was just a racing incident. Both cars were in reasonable places. The speeds that these guys are going and racing so closely is mind blowing.
Hopefully everyone will be OK. Wickens seems like a very promising new driver.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
That could well be why he looked shaken.
I think it was just a racing incident. Both cars were in reasonable places. The speeds that these guys are going and racing so closely is mind blowing.
Hopefully everyone will be OK. Wickens seems like a very promising new driver.
I had a bad rollover wreck a number of years ago that I fortunately walked away from. The driver that caused it was literally crying when I finally got back to the paddock. Racing **** happens and even if it’s not your fault, you can’t help but take it hard.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah hope he is ok. I saw it happen live and it looked like he went through the fence to the outside. Luckily that didn't happen. I was worried that his head ran along the poles of the catch fence, but that doesn't look to be the case either. I guess we'll have to wait to hear the report.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Yeah hope he is ok. I saw it happen live and it looked like he went through the fence to the outside. Luckily that didn't happen. I was worried that his head ran along the poles of the catch fence, but that doesn't look to be the case either. I guess we'll have to wait to hear the report.
I had the same thought, at first I thought his car would breach the safety fence but thankfully the fence held up and Wickens ended up back on track, right side up. I remain equally amazed and impressed at the level of safety in these cars...they take those corners at 200mph and average 216-218mph on track! To be alive after going airborne at close to 200mph and smashing a fence is incredible. Still waiting on further word. Great race otherwise with a nice battle between Rossi & Power for the last 30 laps. Prayers going out to Wickens.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Holy ****. Prayers indeed.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Now saying Wickens has two broken ankles, broken arm, possible vertebrae fracture.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Good lord, what an ugly crash
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I watch Indy every race...but involved with a hose sale thing today had me away all day. This is definitely an upsetting crash. Wickets came into Indy this year in a big way....great driver too and a cool guy if,you see him at the track. I truly hope and pray he’s ok and comes back as strong as ever.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Paul Tracy posted the following this morning:

Long day and sleepless night , could not shut the brain down . So relieved that @robertwickens will be ok , but that again was too close for comfort . It’s long overdue for the racing industry to start looking into a new way of retaining the cars inside the track without poles , fence and cable . If it were me I would have much rather gone out of the park !!!
We lost @danweldon .
@dario_franchitti and @robertwickens had a angel looking down on them .
But it’s time as a community of racers and fans to push things to a higher level . I know racing is a dangerous game and we know the risks , but it can always be better .
Kudos to @sbourdais for saying how it was and having the ***** to get back in and have one of his best oval drives ever . . Sorry for the rant , I’m just thinking out Loud . Let’s all put our thinking caps on for the best solution and most cost effective one . Peace

Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Paul Tracy posted the following this morning:
Strange how Paul Tracy at times makes the most ridiculous comments, however, his statement yesterday about all the safety improvements that have been made regarding tubs, walls and barriers, yet the catch fence technology is pretty much the same as 1940 was spot on. Nothing is more gruesome than when race cars end up in the catch fence.

My guess is the Pocono catch fence is close to 30 years old -- but just a guess. It just shredded.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
It just shredded.
That's what it should do to disperse the energy.

Regarding catch fences, I'm sure it's an issue to balance technology, safety, and the ability to still have spectators see and visualize the event.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I also believe the Safer Barriers are designed more for the 3400-lbs NASCAR cars than they are for the 1600-lbs IndyCars. I know they help, but they do not appear to deflect/absorb as much as when a NASCAR hits them, and thus the drive absorbs the impact. That said, if they were geared toward the IndyCars, than a NASCAR would totally collapse the barrier.

Last edited by CCA; 08-20-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Robert Wickens crash IndyCar Pocono 2018