Sponsored by:

Q - Pad deposits off wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Q - Pad deposits off wheels

I usually use P21S gel and give my wheels (off the car) a good cleaning and inspection after each event. Had the misfortune of driving home on the 3rd day of track in monsoon rains. Was glad to be on Pilot Super Sports...

Anyway, the pad deposit is brutal. Some spots are like clumps of fused rust/sand/rubber... BTW, the pads are Pagid yellow, not the worst...

Simple question, next time I have the misfortune of this much rain - is there a better cleaner that will safely attack the brake dust (without stripping the paint). Hoping there is a product that's a legit go-to for this purpose.

FWIW, I run OZ's in the rain, E88 in the dry. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Many moons ago, I used to clean my wheels... and that P21S gel completely ruined the anodized finish on a set of race Fikses. I had to have the wheels re-anodized.

I switched over to somewhat diluted Simple Green (1:1) and a good brush with elbow grease. Worked for me.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the Sonax wheel cleaner, I have had good luck with it.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:53 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Many moons ago, I used to clean my wheels... and that P21S gel completely ruined the anodized finish on a set of race Fikses. I had to have the wheels re-anodized.

I switched over to somewhat diluted Simple Green (1:1) and a good brush with elbow grease. Worked for me.
P21s is normally pretty safe stuff on coated wheels, but yeah any acid will etch uncoated.

Hawk blues are probably the worst I've seen for residue...that stuff turns to cement. It required strong cleaner plus lots of action with a stiff brush (dish brushes are good for this) to get off. Still did some damage to the finish.

To the OP, I don't think anything would have helped given the situation of accumulating lots of dust in dry conditions then getting wet. Same occurred with my Hawk Blue incident. The dust is benign unless it gets wet and is then allowed to dry, so my approach is to not let a drop of water touch the wheels until I am sure I can give them a thorough rinsing. This is easier in California ��. Better yet to blow out the dust with compressed air before using any water.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Have to agree with jayzbird on this one. I used Hawk Blues and also Porterfield, and the brake dust from those was terrible to get off if allowed to sit or get wet. If wheels get wet with brake dust on them, wash off as soon as you can. Even summer humidity can bake on brake dust. I don't use either of those brands anymore, but I still wash off my wheels as soon as I unload the car after a track event.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I usually use P21S gel and give my wheels (off the car) a good cleaning and inspection after each event. Had the misfortune of driving home on the 3rd day of track in monsoon rains. Was glad to be on Pilot Super Sports...

Anyway, the pad deposit is brutal. Some spots are like clumps of fused rust/sand/rubber... BTW, the pads are Pagid yellow, not the worst...

Simple question, next time I have the misfortune of this much rain - is there a better cleaner that will safely attack the brake dust (without stripping the paint). Hoping there is a product that's a legit go-to for this purpose.

FWIW, I run OZ's in the rain, E88 in the dry. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Matt
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt,
I had a similar problem with brake pad residue on Fuchs and BBS wheels that got wet and formed hard deposits that appeared to be mostly rust. Evapo-Rust was able to remove all of it with no damage to the anodized or painted finishes. The key was to submerge the area and give it lots of time (hours) to work. I supported the wheel at an angle so I could flood a small area and occasionally agitate it with a brush. Untreated deposit appears on left, treated area on right.

Like you, I learned to clean the wheels as soon as possible after an event. The simplest way I've found is to remove them and power wash them, then maybe followup with P21 cleaner.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 08-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Appreciate the tips. Thank you.

M
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

try wd40
Old 08-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently drove home in torrential rains too after running 2 days with Hawk DTC-60s. Sonax wheel cleaner worked well for the big clumps but ironX worked the best at removing the embedded crap
Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM
blotto649
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Further to brake deposits, any additional tips for removing tire rubber? I get marbles trapped in the minimal clearance between inside of the barrel and caliper, leaves a 3mil thick rubber ring that is a PITA to get off.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:41 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Helpful to pretreat your wheels prior to exposure to heavy brake dust. Have good success with the armourall wheel protectant and also using Mothers R3 on wheels. Makes the wheels slick Nd difficult for brake dust to adhere. Cleanup is much easier.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Holy cow blotto.......dont get much stickier tires or that wheel may start touching.

some of those new ceramic coatings did a decent job on my race wheel, got a free sample of Hydrosilex and while not perfect was a bit easier to clean a weekends worth......also didnt hurt that i had just polished the wheels

Quick Reply: Q - Pad deposits off wheels