Looking for a dedicated DE car

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Looking for a dedicated DE car

Hey guys,

I am sure I don't need to explain how his happens, you guys already know. After tracking my 997TT this season and last with PCA and other groups, I've decided it's time for a dedicated DE car. What is the best resource for finding DE and track cars, any suggestions?

I'm looking for manual transmission 987.1 or 987.2 Cayman S or 996. Must be already setup for HPDE including seat(s), bar, harnesses, suspension, brakes, wheels & tires, aero etc... Gutted interiors ok but must be clear title and street legal as I am not in a position to store a truck & trailer for the foreseeable future. Budget $20-30k USD. I missed this car @ $24k USD which happened to be local to me, and checked all the boxes I'm looking for: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...oad-track.html

Any tips or leads would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-12-2018, 02:12 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the most active race and track care classifieds that I know of

https://www.racingjunk.com/category/Road-Racing-Cars/4
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Found my track 981S in the PCA classifieds last May.
Bought it, modified for the track, and now I have a dedicated track car.
If you're a PCA member (which you are), the classifieds are a great resource.
Here's the link:
https://www.pca.org/browse-the-mart-classified-ads
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Posting a wtb in RL is how I got my first DE car.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

If you are looking for a manual car, check for over-revs. RL is a good start.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Posting a wtb in RL is how I got my first DE car.
Me too - and got a great one. Took a bit of time but found a splendid 993 from a great owner. 7 years of bliss ensued.
I can't go so far as to suggest all Rennlisters are great owners (but most are) but it's pretty easy to check out the rep of the seller.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Hey guys,

I am sure I don't need to explain how his happens, you guys already know. After tracking my 997TT this season and last with PCA and other groups, I've decided it's time for a dedicated DE car. What is the best resource for finding DE and track cars, any suggestions?

I'm looking for manual transmission 987.1 or 987.2 Cayman S or 996. Must be already setup for HPDE including seat(s), bar, harnesses, suspension, brakes, wheels & tires, aero etc... Gutted interiors ok but must be clear title and street legal as I am not in a position to store a truck & trailer for the foreseeable future. Budget $20-30k USD. I missed this car @ $24k USD which happened to be local to me, and checked all the boxes I'm looking for: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...oad-track.html

I applaud you for going down in HP for your car, believe it or not people that can afford a 997TT (or better) usually look for more power (is that possible?) to beat their DE buddies. My 2009 PDK Cayman S would have been a great fit for you (not a standard though) but it needed a roll cage/seats harnesses.. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts
Talking

I have a fantastic former Continental Tire Series 2009 Cayman S. It’s perfect and ready to go. Built by Dan Jacobs. Not street legal, but let’s face it, your next step is a truck and trailer, so cut to the chase now!

Last edited by Yellow996; 07-12-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys,

Too bad you really need street legal.... the owner of my indy here locally is selling his SP996 car that's been used for DE only in the last many years - and the car is perfectly maintained (mechanically). I guess when you own the shop - you can keep up with it... lol

Its the black 522 car that you see on Tarret's website... right in your price range and is freaking fast.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:37 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Rennlist came through for me. I was put on to this car by the owner of Mantis Racing after seeing my post. Deposit placed and PPI scheduled for next Tuesday including boroscoping the cylinders and compression test. PCA DE this weekend @ Mosport with my 997TT and if all goes well on Tuesday, next event will in a fully prepped Cayman S.

Car has been owned by current owner for 8 years and had Mantis Racing build the car from stock. All records, receipts for parts and labour, etc... The car was even wind tunnel tested at one of the GM aerodynamic engineering facilities here locally to dial in the aero. All it needs is a fresh front splitter. If the PPI comes out well, I feel I've gotten pretty fortunate with this find and am looking forward to having a proper tool at the track for the rest of the season.

Last edited by cstyles; 07-19-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Now that's a DE car!! Great find.
Congrats and best of luck to you and your new "toy".
My track toy is also a Cayman S, but nowhere near as modded out as yours.
Such a great track car. Enjoy....
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Rennlist came through for me. I was put on to this car by the owner of Mantis Racing after seeing my post. Deposit placed and PPI scheduled for next Tuesday including boroscoping the cylinders and compression test. PCA DE this weekend @ Mosport with my 997TT and if all goes well on Tuesday, next event will in a fully prepped Cayman S.

Car has been owned by current owner for 8 years and had Mantis Racing build the car from stock. All records, receipts for parts and labour, etc... The car was even wind tunnel tested at one of the GM aerodynamic engineering facilities here locally to dial in the aero. All it needs is a fresh front splitter. If the PPI comes out well, I feel I've gotten pretty fortunate with this find and am looking forward to having a proper tool at the track for the rest of the season.
Woah congrats... that's a great find! I'll look for your 997 at Mosport this weekend!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Great choice.
Enjoy, Ernie does great things at Mantis!
Drive the rain line in the wet at Mosport! (not a modified dry line)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, very much hoping for a clean PPI on tuesday next week. In the meantime, here's a shot from Mosport on Monday this week - 3 out of 7 days at the track, not a bad week at all. Back at it tomorrow morning to kick off PCA DE weekend

Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say that's a nice life!

Quick Reply: Looking for a dedicated DE car