Sponsored by:

are these rotors done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:32 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default are these rotors done?

I was thinking these still have plenty of life left (maybe 1-2 more DE days) but am getting mixed reviews.. what do you think? time for an upgrade?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

I've never used those but they look pretty ghastly--I'd lose 'em.

Gary
Old 07-10-2018, 04:05 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Take a chance. What's the worst that could happen? (joking)

There's still meat left here. Yank them when the cracks reach hole-to-hole...or when a crack reaches the outer edge.

PS: If you want to extend the life of your drilled rotors, get in the habit of clearing the holes of brake dust and debris after every track day (or weekend). Use compressed air to blow them out. If you want to go a step further, use a little piece of wire to poke each hole first...then blow them out. It's labor intensive. You've got to pull each wheel off. But it will really help the rotor dissipate heat and will greatly extend the life of the part.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,441 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I get rid of mine when they have about 1/3 no more than 1/2 the length of the cracks you are showing. I find other ways in which to pinch pennies.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

I started an event with rotors that looked like that but I didn't finish the second day because of them.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

IMHO, if you drive 2/10's on them no problem
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

when i first started to race with the holed rotors, they would last 3 weekends before the cracks began to hit the edges..... so, these look like they have a weekend left for sure, maybe 2. check to see if the cracks make it to the outside edge.
what pads you running?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Rotors look fine to me. I've run them down to worse than that. However, I bring new rotors to the track if they start getting bad - insurance.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 AM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the feedback everyone- yea I figure I can run them maybe one more DE day. I noticed these micro-fractures surfaced last year, and since then have done about 7 track events, so the progression of the cracking is very slow.

Will keep my eye out for a set of Girodiscs. I'm running Pagid RS29 for my pads.

BTW, what other options are there for slotted rotors other than Girodisc that fit a 991.1 S?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by First991
thanks for the feedback everyone- yea I figure I can run them maybe one more DE day. I noticed these micro-fractures surfaced last year, and since then have done about 7 track events, so the progression of the cracking is very slow.

Will keep my eye out for a set of Girodiscs. I'm running Pagid RS29 for my pads.

BTW, what other options are there for slotted rotors other than Girodisc that fit a 991.1 S?
Girodiscs in the front - you want the additional cooling they provide.

Sebro in the rear - 1/3 the price of the Gyros and they have lasted surprisingly long. I'm getting into my third set of front rotors while still on the same rears.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

replace before somebody gets hurt.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Extending the life of brake rotors are not an option, extending your life is.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace them or bring a set to the track...I had similar rotors and I thought I could get another track day out of it. But 2 sessions into Laguna Seca, my rotors cracked in three places on the driver side and two places on the passenger side. Cracked and warped. So replace them! I upgraded to girodisc slotted rotors.

After picture w crack to the edge

Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Extending the life of brake rotors are not an option, extending your life is.
i dont think they are anywhere near dangerous yet. porsche rotors are very stout and ive never seen pictures of them ever coming apart, like ive seen on the cheap asian car manufacturers (thinner, not as well built)

Originally Posted by s4magman
replace before somebody gets hurt.
they are not there yet. i always run until the crack goes to the outside. (or you feel a high spot through the pedal)

Originally Posted by First991

Yes, there is no need to panic . should be good for a couple of more DE days, but keep an eye on it like you have. im sure the inner part of the rotor is not cracked . you should check out Racingbrakes.com. you can invest in a 2 piece hat and rin set up and it creates a much longer lasting rotor and more cost effect come change time.... in the end, they pay for them selves. the rotors last longer, the hubs dont get as hot , its a win win.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
i dont think they are anywhere near dangerous yet. porsche rotors are very stout and ive never seen pictures of them ever coming apart, like ive seen on the cheap asian car manufacturers (thinner, not as well built)

they are not there yet. i always run until the crack goes to the outside. (or you feel a high spot through the pedal)

Yes, there is no need to panic . should be good for a couple of more DE days, but keep an eye on it like you have. im sure the inner part of the rotor is not cracked . you should check out Racingbrakes.com. you can invest in a 2 piece hat and rin set up and it creates a much longer lasting rotor and more cost effect come change time.... in the end, they pay for them selves. the rotors last longer, the hubs dont get as hot , its a win win.
I’m all for being frugal, but you don’t skimp on safety equipment. It is time to replace those rotors for the same reason you would not run corded tires.

Quick Reply: are these rotors done?